Zollo To WKU

Congratulations to Zollo! Hopefully EKU & WKU play each other, it would be good to see two GRC 2011 grads go at it.

I bet Gold Sunrise is heartbroken that he/she did not get the word out first!

:lol: I could have, Vinny called me this morning to tell me he was committing. He had not called Western at that time to let them know .

Feel this is a great fit for Vinny. Also close to home and this was important to him, especially after the death of Mykal Barnes.

Edited by gold sunrise

Article from the Winchester Sun:

http://www.winchestersun.com/stories/2010/10/19/spo.500298.sto

Zollo chose the Hilltoppers over several schools including Miami of Ohio, Tulane, Depaul, Cincinnati, St. Joe’s, Depaul, Morehead, Bradley, the University of Pacific, UNC Wilmington and Marshall. Zollo had planned on taking an official visit to DePaul before making a decision to attend Western.

Zollo added that he was glad to get the recruiting process settled before the start of practice, which began Monday night. “My priorities are set,” he said. “It’s about my team first and my career second. We know where we’re going.”

Here is the recutiting class for Western for 2011.

Committed/Not Yet Signed
Name Pos Ht/Wt Stars Rank
George Fant PF 6-6/225 stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif NR
Derrick Gordon SG 6-3/187 stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif 41
Cezar Guerrero PG 6-0/175 stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif 14
Deng Leek C 7-0/240 stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif NR
Nigel Snipes SF 6-5/185 stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif NR
Vinny Zollo PF 6-9/240 stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif NR

Congrats to Vinny. Great athlete, but an even better kid off the court. I expect nothing but great things from him over the next 4 years.

AS far as Western's recruiting class goes, WOW! They should be a regular in the NCAA tournament over the next 4 years.

Congrats to Vinny. Great athlete, but an even better kid off the court. I expect nothing but great things from him over the next 4 years.

AS far as Western's recruiting class goes, WOW! They should be a regular in the NCAA tournament over the next 4 years.

According to J. Demling, Western recuiting class is ranked in the top 15 by analysts that was just released.

Western Kentucky University's six-man Class of 2011 is being lauded by analysts.

The Hilltoppers had Derrick Gordon committed and the past two weeks added Deng Leek, Nigel Snipes, George Fant, Cezar Guerrero and Vinny Zollo.

"Ken McDonald and his staff deserve a raise for a job well done," Hoop Scoop editor Clark Francis wrote on his website about the class. He added the "class has a little bit of everything."

Francis has the class ranked at No. 14 in his newest rankings. He still has Kentucky No. 1 and Louisville No. 2, followed by St. John's, Duke and Arkansas.

http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/

• 4 weeks later...

A matured Zollo signs with WKU

http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/

Zollo has played the past two seasons at Clark County. He was an All-State selection as a junior and is considered one of the top players in the Class of 2011 statewide.

"I like Zollo," Hoop Scoop editor Clark Francis said. "He's a strange player because he's not a tough inside but he just has a nose for the ball and gets rebounds. I like him."

Zollo had plenty of other options when he picked Western but said he was sold on Bowling Green after visiting and talking with fellow signee Derrick Gordon.

"Western recruited me pretty heavily during the spring and a little during the summer but it didn't seem like an option for me," Zollo said. "It just didn't seem like it was for me.

"I was really set on going somewhere else, primarily out of state but then I became good friends with Derrick. We had played against each other this summer. I started talking to him and said I would give it a shot and made the trip and was blown away."

From the Winchester Sun. Zollo signed yesterday in the school library.

Zollo signs with Western Kentucky University

185333140-12213128.jpg
ws-zollo-signs-with-wku-111210 rating_off.jpgrating_off.jpgrating_off.jpgrating_off.jpgrating_off.jpg

Mike Wynn/mwynn@winchestersun.com / November 12, 2010
George Rogers Clark senior Vinny Zollo signed to play basketball with Western Kentucky University on Friday after thanking family, coaches and the community for their support over the years and promising to make the most of his college career. Zollo was flanked by his mother, Robyn Curry; sister, Kyndal Curry; and step-father, Jim Curry.