CovCath Luke Maile named Ky Mr. Baseball

Maile named Ky. Mr. Baseball

By Mike Dyer • mdyer@enquirer.com • June 15, 2009

Covington Catholic senior catcher Luke Maile has been named the Kentucky Mr. Baseball award winner

Maile, who was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 43rd round of the Major League Baseball draft last week, is a University of Kentucky signee.

Maile will receive the award on Sunday (June 21) before the East/West All-Star game at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. The game starts at 1 p.m.

Maile hit .514 this spring to go along with 55 RBI for the Colonels. He scored 56 runs and hit 12 home runs. He was named the Ninth Region player of the year for a third consecutive season.

The 2009 state coach of the year was Lexington Catholic’s Kevin Clary. Cleary led Lexington Catholic to a state championship in his first year. Lexington Catholic defeated Owensboro 5-3 in the state final.

Cleary will be presented his award at the annual coaches convention in January.

And some people were questioning whether he should have received player of the year in Northern Kentucky. Congrats to Luke Maile on a great season and great career. Wishing him even more success at the next level and hopefully beyond.

It did not matter what type of season he had, he was going to win POY and probably Mr. Baseball regardless.

congrats Luke and good luck at UK! :)

And some people were questioning whether he should have received player of the year in Northern Kentucky. Congrats to Luke Maile on a great season and great career. Wishing him even more success at the next level and hopefully beyond.

Congrats to Luke on a fantastic high school career and he is definitely a pro player in the making....but I will stick to my previous statement that in my opinion hea wasn't the POY in NKY this year.

Congrats to Luke on a fantastic high school career and he is definitely a pro player in the making....but I will stick to my previous statement that in my opinion hea wasn't the POY in NKY this year.

Exactly! He deserved the Mr. Baseball award for his past three years no doubt in my mind.

Also congrats to him and Zach Isler on first team all-state honors, and AJ Smith and Jeramie Conner honorable mention all-state!

I also agree. Luke won Mr. Baseball on his whole body of work not just this year. This year in my opinion Isler had the better year.

This is a very impressive award. Congratultions and best of luck in the future.

Maile named Ky. Mr. Baseball

By Mike Dyer • mdyer@enquirer.com • June 15, 2009

Covington Catholic senior catcher Luke Maile has been named the Kentucky Mr. Baseball award winner

Maile, who was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 43rd round of the Major League Baseball draft last week, is a University of Kentucky signee.

Maile will receive the award on Sunday (June 21) before the East/West All-Star game at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. The game starts at 1 p.m.

Maile hit .514 this spring to go along with 55 RBI for the Colonels. He scored 56 runs and hit 12 home runs. He was named the Ninth Region player of the year for a third consecutive season.

The 2009 state coach of the year was Lexington Catholic’s Kevin Clary. Cleary led Lexington Catholic to a state championship in his first year. Lexington Catholic defeated Owensboro 5-3 in the state final.

Cleary will be presented his award at the annual coaches convention in January.

This was a no Brainer:ylsuper: