Florence Freedom to announce new team name tonight at 6:30pm.

The Frontier League baseball team was purchased by a new ownership group this past July, and then in October the owners announced that they would be renaming the club be means of a vote among fan-submitted ideas. They announced the five finalist names back in December, and the winner will be selected from among the five finalists and will be announced tonight at a 6:30pm press conference.

Florence Go-Goettas

Florence is here to take back Goetta for its rightful Northern Kentucky owners. Choosing the name Go-Goettas celebrates this wonderfully weird piece of Northern Kentucky food culture, while giving the team an aspirational mindset to shoot for.

Florence Fossil Jockeys

Rising from the marshy pits at Big Bone Lick are the Fossil Jockeys: a group of raucous prehistoric riders who choose the mightiest beasts as their modes of transportation.

Florence Y’alls

We’re the first and last professional baseball team in the south (depending on which way you’re driving from), so we’ll take it upon ourselves to be the symbol for Southern culture. “Y’alls” as a name celebrates much more than a painted water tower, it celebrates who we are as Northern Kentuckians and Southerners, with “Go Y’alls” as our rally cry.

Florence Pop Flies

It’s no secret that we Northern Kentuckians love two things: pop and baseball. That's why we married those two concepts together as the Pop Fly, which is not only a common baseball term but a name for a fly who has an unquenchable sweet tooth.

Florence No Sox

A nod to famous baseball names but with a Kentucky twist, the No Sox celebrates our relaxed, kick-up-your-feet kind of culture. Baseball and life are a little different down here in Florence, and the name No Sox lets everyone know they’re in for a unique experience.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like others Florence Y’alls would be my choice if those are the only choices we have.

These however have a ring to them, I think.

Florence Fire

Florence Fury

Florence Flames

Florence Fighters

Florence Flyers

Or maybe how about

Florence Freedom?

I entered the "Florence Fish" and "Florence Frogs" back when they where originally looking for submissions...just for the sake of being dumb.

I would have liked to see a frog on a baseball cap.

Turns out those were too normal of a submission.

Minor League Baseball names are supposed to be dumb.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of the following (I used to be obsessed with getting new MiLB hats, they're hilarious and great):

Montgomery Biscuits

Traverse City Pit Spitters

Fond-du-Lac Dock Spiders