Pre-season article about NewCath football

Lawnboy13

WR/ P Trent Wrobleski, QB Patrick Henschen and LB Kurtis Sutkamp.

newcath.jpg

State title next step for NewCath football

When a state championship is the only outcome that will satisfy your players, you know your program is in a good position.

Newport Central Catholic has appeared in four straight and five of the past six Class 2A state championship games. But, the Thoroughbreds enter 2016 trying to end a drought; NewCath dropped the past three state finals.

While some teams might want to turn the page on a stinging loss, NewCath embraces last year’s title game defeat. They felt that they could have, and should have, been able to bring the trophy back to Northern Kentucky.

“They remember the feeling they had. They feel like they let it get away,” said ‘Breds coach Dan Wagner. “We want to get back down there.”

Patrick Henschen enters his third season as the starting quarterback. The 6-6 senior enters his final high school season with confidence. He is working to improve his decision making and to get rid of the ball quicker, but has all of the tangibles and intangibles a team wants in a quarterback.

“He’s a big, strong, tough, good kid,” said Wagner. “He has taken on that leadership role.”

The Thoroughbreds have a deep stable of receivers for Henschen to target. The group is led by tight end Austin Neff and wide receiver Trent Wrobleski. Neff also stars at defensive end, while Wrobleski is one of the top punters in Northern Kentucky. Other experienced receivers include Job Freppon and Harrison Walz. Hunter Pittman and Brady Hicks are back to anchor the offensive line, which will be bolstered by Dylan Donnermeyer’s return from injury.

The biggest question mark on offense is at running back, where the Thoroughbreds will allow a committee to audition for the primary role. Jason Decker, John Hughes, Kyle Kelly, and Brennan Hall will split carries.

“Competition is never a bad thing,” said Wagner.

Linebackers Kurtis Sutkamp and Cole Carmack will be the leaders of the defense, along with Neff, Freppon, and Wrobleski.

This team is experienced and knows firsthand what it takes to get to the state championship game. Having come so close and falling short of a championship has only forged stronger bonds among these teammates.

“We have a good group of kids who get along well,” said Wagner. “There’s a feeling about this team.”

It feels a lot like victory in December.

State title next step for NewCath football

I really like the NewCath program from top to bottom. They schedule tough, sometimes take some lumps, and use what they learn to shine bright in November. They are always fun to watch. Go 'Breds (except Sept. 9th)

You're going to see a different NewCath team from last year. They've gone back to up tempo and spreading the field. I don't think that it makes much of a difference against Belfry due to how special that team is, but it will benefit them tremendously in the playoffs.

I really like the NewCath program from top to bottom. They schedule tough, sometimes take some lumps, and use what they learn to shine bright in November. They are always fun to watch. Go 'Breds (except Sept. 9th)

You coming up for the game?

You coming up for the game?
I would like to but it will be a last minute decision because of work and some other things I have going on right now. This is one of the games on the schedule that I would really like to attend though.

I would like to but it will be a last minute decision because of work and some other things I have going on right now. This is one of the games on the schedule that I would really like to attend though.

Rest up. Lawnboy's whirlwind tour will take a lot out of you, but you'll see a lot of NKY.

You're going to see a different NewCath team from last year. They've gone back to up tempo and spreading the field. I don't think that it makes much of a difference against Belfry due to how special that team is, but it will benefit them tremendously in the playoffs.
I was impressed with the QB Henschen last year, as well as Wrobleski and Sutkamp. And Schneider may have had the best game of all of them. As a team, I like NewCath's speed and aggressiveness. But above all else, I have always really loved the program because of their never give up attitude. I've seen them come back in some games where lots of teams would have thrown in the towel. You gotta love that.

Belfry has a tendency to start the season kind of slow and build up. If they are all healthy, however, that may not be as obvious because of all the talent on this team, especially in the trenches. Last year Belfry played that game without their starting QB Corbett and RB Willis because of suspensions by the coaching staff. It was nice to see a young freshman QB Browning step into that role and play with composure. His stats were unimpressive, 6 carries for 17yds and 0-1 passing with an interception. But I was as proud of him that night as any individual on our team last year. He ran things really smoothly and his star shined brightly in a very tough position.

Let me know if you do.

Rest up. Lawnboy's whirlwind tour will take a lot out of you, but you'll see a lot of NKY.

Registered with the NKY Chamber of Commerce :lol2: