France bans the veil for Muslim women

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

France has a long history of xenophobic policies attempting to retain their "cultural purity" and I don't believe they have done anything but ghettoize groups and intensify immigrant solidarity. In other words, their policies have worked counter to integration and made their perceived problems worse.

From the President:

French President Nicolas Sarkozy set the wheels in motion for the ban nearly two years ago, saying the veils imprison women and contradict this secular nation's values of dignity and equality. The ban enjoyed wide public support when it was approved by parliament last year.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/04/11/france-bans-face-covering-islamic-veil-1300456722/#ixzz1JEYthQaS

Seems lame to me. How is a women choosing to wear a veil hurting France or the general public?

Should the US ban Jews from wearing yarmulkes?

Should the US ban Amish women from wearing bonnets?

Should the US ban the Hasidic Jewish men from wearing their sideburns long and uncut?

Should the US force conservative Baptist women to wear shorts?

Should the US ban the Hasidic Jewish men from wearing their sideburns long and uncut?

Yes! :D

France has a long history of xenophobic policies attempting to retain their "cultural purity" and I don't believe they have done anything but ghettoize groups and intensify immigrant solidarity. In other words, their policies have worked counter to integration and made their perceived problems worse.

Agreed. They have long advocated policies of "Frenchness," which has led to riots, etc. in their country. I don't really fault them for their stance, as it is their right to make those choices, but they also have to be able to handle the issues that come with a ban like this.

I thought it was a security issue but I guess it's more of a women's rights issue?

"saying the veils imprison women and contradict this secular nation's values of dignity and equality." If so the arguments about the cross, bonnets, sideburns etc are not comparable, are they?

If the women are wearing them voluntarily the law is stupid. If they are forced to wear them wouldn't the law be a good thing? They would appear to be uncomfortable, particularly in hot weather.

Only the hot ones :D

I thought it was a security issue but I guess it's more of a women's rights issue?

"saying the veils imprison women and contradict this secular nation's values of dignity and equality." If so the arguments about the cross, bonnets, sideburns etc are not comparable, are they?

If the women are wearing them voluntarily the law is stupid. If they are forced to wear them wouldn't the law be a good thing? They would appear to be uncomfortable, particularly in hot weather.

I'm certainly not going to speak for the women however I'd think that their choice of a religion forces them to wear it just like strict Baptists cannot wear shorts or skirts above the knees, etc. They are part of a religion that has rules about dress. If there is no public safety issue then I'm not sure why we want to put a law in place.