France bans the veil for Muslim women

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certainly not going to speak for the women however I'd think that their choice of a religion forces them to wear it just like strict Baptists cannot wear shorts or skirts above the knees, etc. They are part of a religion that has rules about dress. If there is no public safety issue then I'm not sure why we want to put a law in place.

We don't. It's France. We're good. USA! USA! :D

I'm certainly not going to speak for the women however I'd think that their choice of a religion forces them to wear it just like strict Baptists cannot wear shorts or skirts above the knees, etc. They are part of a religion that has rules about dress. If there is no public safety issue then I'm not sure why we want to put a law in place.

My wife is pretty strict baptist and she wears shorts. She does however only wear dresses to church, as do all of the women in my church. maybe you mean holiness wearing skirts all of the time.

France never once mentioned anything about a security issue.

Should we ban sunglasses?

Please be real, a veil covers your face/head. Sunglasses cover your eyes.

are these veil wearing women with a man because a real Muslim faith veil wearing women is only allowed to go outside with her father/husband/brother.

While some see encroaching Islamophobia in the new ban, President Nicolas Sarkozy's government defended it as a rampart protecting France's identity against inequality and extremism.

Extremism is a stage of violence. Italy outlawed covering the face for security reasons.

I think it comes down to them preserving their culture. Something the French take pride in. As it being their second religion and gaining momentum, the French are probably scared that Muslims will take over the country and their culture. So they took extreme measures.

I think it comes down to them preserving their culture. Something the French take pride in. As it being their second religion and gaining momentum, the French are probably scared that Muslims will take over the country and their culture. So they took extreme measures.

Much of Europe is like that. The French are just the most outspoken. Not just with Muslims though, they are that way with Slavs, Turks (including Christian Turks) and so on.

Much of Europe is like that. The French are just the most outspoken. Not just with Muslims though, they are that way with Slavs, Turks (including Christian Turks) and so on.

So do we ridicule them for preserving their culture? It is a hard choice for me personally. Religious Freedom is important.

The French were sly about it all and made sure, according to the link, the words "women," "Muslim" and "veil" are not even mentioned. The law says it is illegal to hide the face in the public space.

Please be real, a veil covers your face/head. Sunglasses cover your eyes.

are these veil wearing women with a man because a real Muslim faith veil wearing women is only allowed to go outside with her father/husband/brother.

Your point is that it can disguise them or hide their identity....just like sunglasses can. You can't be FOR one and AGAINST the other.

Your point is that it can disguise them or hide their identity....just like sunglasses can. You can't be FOR one and AGAINST the other.

That is stretching it. You can tell who a friend is with sunglasses more so than if someone covered their entire face....so, yes, you can be for one and against the other. Not saying I am but, the two are different.

Apples and oranges Clyde.. The Veil is for religious beliefs, sunglasses are not....

True UNLESS you argue that this ban is right for security purposes as Mt Ref has.

We can't start telling people what they can we and can't wear out in public without a rational basis. There is no rational basis for this ban.