Div-1 offers for Kentucky kids this year?

CoachJ

Has been tough over the years as a HS coach in Ky trying to convince D1 recruiters that thus-and-so are good enough to play at the D1 level. I think a lot of this is due to the historical relative low numbers of D1 signees from this state.

My belief, however, is that since the Mumme/JohnL/Petrino eras -- when Ky HS football became more of a wide-open game -- MANY more of the skilled athletes in schools have come out for football rather than the old "gotta concentrate on one sport and be a gym rat."

Seems to me it used to be that the state of Kentucky would have 8-9 D1 signees a year -- maybe 10-12 in an unusually-talented year.

Now it SEEMS that there are many, many more than in the past, but I don't have numbers to back that up. I know there's a thread about where the best Ky. 2012 grads are headed, but wondered about D1 offers already extended this year. Not that we'll ever challenge Florida or Texas for number of D1 guys, but I hope D1 schools out there are aware we are NOT what we used to be as a state. Trust me, with all the area they have to cover in the US, they have to overlook some places--I don't want Kentucky kids to be the ones overlooked.

Obviously, the gaggle of great athletes in the 2013 Trinity graduating class has multiple offers (White, Dawkins, Quick, Hatcher, Wright...and I'm maybe leaving out a few like the ILB from Oldham Co. who plays there), Scott from Mayfield committed to WKU yesterday, our OL Joey Bloomfield has an offer from Kansas University and I think our WR Cam Lewis is close to getting some D1 offers as well, Bivins from Apollo, Hyde from Clay Co., Kentavyus ?? from Bourbon, and the WR from Franklin Co.

That's 11-13 right there and just off the top of my head. Anybody else I'm leaving out?

I agree coach, I was concerned with U of L not getting one kid from Metro Louisville and even spoke to someone at the school and they told me they offered several but none accepted. Lorentez Barbour is going to Navy. And in the CJ there were some more signings but not many were D-1. Population wise Kentucky cannot be far behind states like Alabama/Mississippi/Louisana/ etc.

I had a son who played soccer and I as his dad just set down nad contacted many schools. The head Coach can only do so much, I know now things are a lot better for reaching schools but I had so many coaches call me about my kid, and two offered and did so due to my reaching out helping my son. I just gave his stats and GPA was really good.

I had friends who had a kid playing baseball and was going to a NAIA school and was enrolled. Wasn't playing baseball. I called the coach and we talked for a while and now the kid is in his 3rd year. Parents have to be aggressive and stay with it. Sorry I rambled.