Conner QB Receives Invitation to Elite 11

Clyde

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been through the recruiting process myself, I am quite familiar with the rules and so forth.. To my knowladge, schools are not permitted to contact (calls, text, or email) a high school player during their sophomore year at any point.. Sophomores can unofficailly visit as many campuses as they would like, as well as call a school to set these visits up. All expenses (travel, meals, tickets to the games etc.) must be covered by the players parents. Technically the only corrospendance they can recieve from a school during their sophomore year is a brochure about an upcoming camp. If a school is sending hand written letters, or making 1st phone calls and invitations, they are in direct violation of NCAA recruting laws. I am not downplaying young Mr. Barker's talent, because he is a very talented QB. But he is a sophomore, and if he really is being invited to all of these spring games, and or getting calls or texts from coaches, then those schools are violating the rules. Maybe it would be a good idea to keep such information off the web. I think schools these days are becoming more and more aware of the rules, and are trying to make it a point to follow them. Take what happened to the Baylor University basketball program.. It was just announced yesterday that both men's and women's programs will be hit with sanctions due to impropper recruiting practices.

Again, I am not downplaying Drew's talents, becasue he is a big, strong, and talented QB. He is going to be recruited by many schools, but lets keep in mind that he is a sophomore, and has plenty of time to be recruited. Let's not mistake him taking unofficial visits to campuses, and attending their spring game as being recruited by that school just yet..

Having been through the recruiting process myself, I am quite familiar with the rules and so forth.. To my knowladge, schools are not permitted to contact (calls, text, or email) a high school player during their sophomore year at any point.. Sophomores can unofficailly visit as many campuses as they would like, as well as call a school to set these visits up. All expenses (travel, meals, tickets to the games etc.) must be covered by the players parents. Technically the only corrospendance they can recieve from a school during their sophomore year is a brochure about an upcoming camp. If a school is sending hand written letters, or making 1st phone calls and invitations, they are in direct violation of NCAA recruting laws. I am not downplaying young Mr. Barker's talent, because he is a very talented QB. But he is a sophomore, and if he really is being invited to all of these spring games, and or getting calls or texts from coaches, then those schools are violating the rules. Maybe it would be a good idea to keep such information off the web. I think schools these days are becoming more and more aware of the rules, and are trying to make it a point to follow them. Take what happened to the Baylor University basketball program.. It was just announced yesterday that both men's and women's programs will be hit with sanctions due to impropper recruiting practices.

Again, I am not downplaying Drew's talents, becasue he is a big, strong, and talented QB. He is going to be recruited by many schools, but lets keep in mind that he is a sophomore, and has plenty of time to be recruited. Let's not mistake him taking unofficial visits to campuses, and attending their spring game as being recruited by that school just yet..

As one who went through the recruiting process you know that schools are NOT contacting Drew directly. Top sophomores across the country are getting offers, being invited to schools, and being invited to spring games. It's quite easy for colleges to follow the rules and still talk to recruits.

As one who went through the recruiting process you know that schools are NOT contacting Drew directly. Top sophomores across the country are getting offers, being invited to schools, and being invited to spring games. It's quite easy for colleges to follow the rules and still talk to recruits.

Again I want to say that from watching him play on one or two occasions, and talking to those that follow the conner program, Drew is a very talented player, and will have the opportunity to play at the next level, for many different schools, I'd even say he'll have his pick of the litter..

If he is not being contacted directly, how is he recieving invites to games? I am not saying anything negative about Drew or his talent level, I just feel like there are many people putting presure on him. And there are many people who are not aware of how the recruiting process works. It is very detailed and date specific.

Sophomores are not getting offers, because that is against the rules. A player can begin to recieve offers and can verbally commit in the month of April during their Junior year. April 15-May 31 i believe is the specific time frame. They can then still recieve offers from other schools, and will officially sign their LOI (letter of intent) beginning in the month of February of their senior year. There are a few times that are "dead periods" or "quiet periods" in the recruiting process when schools cannot call. These processes are set into place so that a kid in high school is not bombarded and overwhelmed from colleges chasing him down 24/7. They want to make sure that the high school player is mature enough to handle the recruiting process. But this process begins when the player is a junior in high school.

Again I want to say that from watching him play on one or two occasions, and talking to those that follow the conner program, Drew is a very talented player, and will have the opportunity to play at the next level, for many different schools, I'd even say he'll have his pick of the litter..

If he is not being contacted directly, how is he recieving invites to games? I am not saying anything negative about Drew or his talent level, I just feel like there are many people putting presure on him. And there are many people who are not aware of how the recruiting process works. It is very detailed and date specific.

Sophomores are not getting offers, because that is against the rules. A player can begin to recieve offers and can verbally commit in the month of April during their Junior year. April 15-May 31 i believe is the specific time frame. They can then still recieve offers from other schools, and will officially sign their LOI (letter of intent) beginning in the month of February of their senior year. There are a few times that are "dead periods" or "quiet periods" in the recruiting process when schools cannot call. These processes are set into place so that a kid in high school is not bombarded and overwhelmed from colleges chasing him down 24/7. They want to make sure that the high school player is mature enough to handle the recruiting process. But this process begins when the player is a junior in high school.

With all due respect, there are numerous erroneous statements here regarding the rules that govern the recruiting process. Really surprised this topic was even broached.

there are numerous erroneous statements here regarding the rules that govern the recruiting process.

NCAA Recruiting Rules. Official Visits.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/text/manual/graphics/docs/compliance/football.pdf

Here are a few links laying out the guidelines.. One from Texas Tech specifically..

I certainly did not mean to ruffle anyones feathers, and never once said anything negative toward Drew.. I just think there is a lot of unecissary pressure being put on him as well as others who are in his graduation class, because they technically can't even be recruited yet..

NCAA Recruiting Rules. Official Visits.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/text/manual/graphics/docs/compliance/football.pdf

Here are a few links laying out the guidelines.. One from Texas Tech specifically..

I certainly did not mean to ruffle anyones feathers, and never once said anything negative toward Drew.. I just think there is a lot of unecissary pressure being put on him, because he technically can't be recruited yet.. Keep in mind that I said YET.. He will play college football. That is all.

Always a fair question to ask about pressure. No question.

However, your post seemed to leave out the realistic and only way that players and coaches can legally talk to each other. This is 100% on the up and up by NCAA rules.

I posted that coaches cannot make 1st calls. They can answer phone calls from players. They cannot return voicemails. If they answer the player's phone call, they can speak. There is nothing against the rules there. When it's being posted that Drew is being invited to games etc.. that gives the impression that he is being called by coach ___ from ___ University "Drew, this is coach ____ I would like you to come to the spring game", or recieving letters in the mail inviting him to games.. If that was the case, it's against the rules.

Again, not trying to make anyone mad, or hurt anyone's feelings.. Good luck this season Mr. Barker, you and your team have a real shot at state..

I posted that coaches cannot make 1st calls. They can answer phone calls from players. They cannot return voicemails. If they answer the player's phone call, they can speak. There is nothing against the rules there. When it's being posted that Drew is being invited to games etc.. that gives the impression that he is being called by coach ___ from ___ University "Drew, this is coach ____ I would like you to come to the spring game", or recieving letters in the mail inviting him to games.. If that was the case, it's against the rules.

Again, not trying to make anyone mad, or hurt anyone's feelings.. Good luck this season Mr. Barker, you and your team have a real shot at state..

Fair enough.

A college can make a scholarship offer to a player regardless of what grade they are in. They can extend an offer to an elementary school kid if they want.

Correct. Wake offered Chris Leak when he was in middle school.