Dairy Production Technician

Electronics Technician

Geothermal Heating Technician

Heating Technician

Inboard - Outboard Marine Equipment Technician

Marine Repair Technician

Power Line Technicians

Railway Car Technician

IMO there are many kids going to college today that would be better served learning a skilled trade. The industries that are experiencing the shortage need to do a better job of explaining exactly what those jobs entail. I think many kids think "greasy, grimy low-skilled" when it's really not that in many of the trades.

IMO there are many kids going to college today that would be better served learning a skilled trade. The industries that are experiencing the shortage need to do a better job of explaining exactly what those jobs entail. I think many kids think "greasy, grimy low-skilled" when it's really not that in many of the trades.

I agree 100%. Instead they go to college for 2 years get a bunch of student loans and can never pay them back. I hate how people make it seem like you HAVE to go to college these days.

I agree. I think there should be more of a push for more technical colleges that teach trades. The market for college graduates is over-saturated.

For the record, I agree 100% with Clyde and HT - there IS a shortage of skilled trades workers in the United States.

You want to know why everything is made in China or Taiwan? Because they have the trades workers to make everything.

I partially agree on the "why." Technology has changed the world of manufacturing. It's a few years old but I highly recommend reading "The World is Flat" to see how we got to where we are with manufacturing. In addition, the cost of oil was low which made it easier to afford to have something made across the world and still have it shipped.

There was an article on cincinnati.com a few weeks ago about certain companies in the area that were wanting to hire but couldn't find the right people.

"If someone walks in here tomorrow and can pass the (welding) test, I would hire them on the spot," said Mike Vogt, vice president for human resources at Mazak.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20111120/BIZ/111200334/nkyupdate

Ths education establishment in this country bares a big part of the blame. For years they've worked from a ridiculous premise that everyone should go to college, which is complete and total nonsense. Its nonsense for those kids who intelectually dont belong there, as well as for our economy which must have skilled tradesmen in order to thrive. We have got ro get beyond the "4 year college for everyone" mentality.

Another big part of the blame lies with our society in general. I'm so tired of listening to professionals complain how they cant find a decent plumber, carpenter, tile setter, etc, when they'd have a cow if their daughter ever came home with a member of one of those trades. Highschool kids know who their parents and society look down upon. Why would they choose to persue a career that would leave them labeled as second tier?

Final thought: as the owner of a company its very easy to outsource my IT needs to a third world country, not so easy to farm out my leaky toilet to India.

Standardization in the education systems has to change. Our education system is based on interests of industrialization, and basically says, "you take these courses with kids that were born the same year as you, at this time of day, you leave class when the bell rings, and receive a letter grade. You then take an ACT. Based upon those scores, you can go to college." Kids minds are so set on graduating from college with a degree in Biology, Marketing, Management, etc, it doesn't surprise me one bit that there is a shortage of skilled trade workers.

Another big part of the blame lies with our society in general. I'm so tired of listening to professionals complain how they cant find a decent plumber, carpenter, tile setter, etc, when they'd have a cow if their daughter ever came home with a member of one of those trades. High school kids know who their parents and society look down upon. Why would they choose to pursue a career that would leave them labeled as second tier?

I absolutely couldn't agree with you more.