Skilled Trades Campaign?

I worked 40 years in the building trades as a union Pipefitter and enjoyed practically every minute of it ( AK Steel excepted :D ) and I would recommend this occupation to anyone's whose child looking for a career in the construction trades .

When I built a house in 2006 the framing business owner said his lead guy - someone he could trust to run the job day to day with him only have to review before inspections and finals - earned over $100,000 a year.

I am sure that is different today given the housing market. But a good trade skill is something worth having.

I saw that article myself. 500,000 jobs sitting unclaimed. No able-bodied person in the US should receive another unemployment check until each & every one of those positions is filled. There are low-cost programs all across the country that will educate you in the fields those businesses are looking for.

And for those that will ask if I would take one of those positions, the question is I already have in the past. I obtained those skills growing up, used them through hs & college, and have been carrying them around in my back pocket should I ever need them again.

I saw that article myself. 500,000 jobs sitting unclaimed. No able-bodied person in the US should receive another unemployment check until each & every one of those positions is filled. There are low-cost programs all across the country that will educate you in the fields those businesses are looking for.

And for those that will ask if I would take one of those positions, the question is I already have in the past. I obtained those skills growing up, used them through hs & college, and have been carrying them around in my back pocket should I ever need them again.

I would give an arm and a leg to have a trade certification in a good number of those fields...if only for having the skillset alone.

I would give an arm and a leg to have a trade certification in a good number of those fields...if only for having the skillset alone.

I am truthfully only competant in a few of those fields, but it does allow me to muddle through a few others when working on my own stuff. Sure does save a whole lot of money each year though. Of course some drawbacks do come along, such as when the transfercase end of my bronco's transmission assembly falls right on my gut as it did today!

I am truthfully only competant in a few of those fields, but it does allow me to muddle through a few others when working on my own stuff. Sure does save a whole lot of money each year though. Of course some drawbacks do come along, such as when the transfercase end of my bronco's transmission assembly falls right on my gut as it did today!

Now that's a bummer!