Jesus heals Malchus.

In all four Gospels we read about Jesus being arrested, in all of them we see that one of the high priests guards gets his ear cut of as they grab Jesus. In John 18:10 we get his name Malchus. Also in John, it says that Peter was the one who did this act, in the others it just says "someone". I have asked this question many times.

When his ear is cut off Jesus reaches down and puts in back on, he heals him. Wouldn't you think at that point these guards would realize maybe this man is different? I know the reason, Jesus even tells us, "It was foretold that he would be arrested", but the ear was it foretold?

He still had to be arrested, so it had to happen, "those who live by the sword, will die by it". He wanted no harm to come unto anyone, in fact that was his message to us even today.

I bet Malchus believed in Jesus as they were walking away. Not many guards are mentioned by name in scripture.

Yep, thats right man gets his ear cut off and Jesus puts it back on and the guards beat the tar out him, but my point is did Malchus join in at that point? Was it minor to Malchus?

Apparently God thought it was minor or else he would have had his scribes go in more detail about it? And not have such confusion about the event?

OK, ear gets cut off, Jesus puts in back on and Jesus tears the butt of Peter for using force when he Preached Peace...Not much more you could add to the story, and thank you for posting.

But it is mentioned in four accounts of the Gospel and that is rare, usually its the first three. And John being on its on.

OK, ear gets cut off, Jesus puts in back on and Jesus tears the butt of Peter for using force when he Preached Peace...Not much more you could add to the story, and thank you for posting.

But it is mentioned in four accounts of the Gospel and that is rare, usually its the first three. And John being on its on.

I don't use punctuation for laughs, but for purpose. I'm asking questions with my previous post. If Jesus' healing of the Roman soldier was a big deal, why didn't the Gospels make a big deal out of it, and by extension why didn't Christianity make a big deal out of it?

Otherwise, it's a minor event. Not by my choice; simply how it has played out.

In all four Gospels we read about Jesus being arrested, in all of them we see that one of the high priests guards gets his ear cut of as they grab Jesus. In John 18:10 we get his name Malchus. Also in John, it says that Peter was the one who did this act, in the others it just says "someone". I have asked this question many times.

When his ear is cut off Jesus reaches down and puts in back on, he heals him. Wouldn't you think at that point these guards would realize maybe this man is different? I know the reason, Jesus even tells us, "It was foretold that he would be arrested", but the ear was it foretold?

He still had to be arrested, so it had to happen, "those who live by the sword, will die by it". He wanted no harm to come unto anyone, in fact that was his message to us even today.

I bet Malchus believed in Jesus as they were walking away. Not many guards are mentioned by name in scripture.

Although John doesn't tell us, I tend to agree with the bolded.

Malchus was mentioned by name. John wrote his Gospel approximately 50 years after this event, but he used Malchus' name in this story. I think that may indicate that Malchus was a member of the early church and was well known to not only John, but also to his readers. Maybe he didn't go into more detail about him because his readers already knew who Malchus was and knew the rest of the story.

This is a lot of conjecture by me, I realize, but it may help answer the question Larry posted.

I always figured at the very least, Malchus had some serious thinking to do when he returned home.

I'd never considered the implications of him being mentioned by name. As has been stated, it doesn't prove anything, but it is noteworthy.

• 3 weeks later...
Also, in Mark there is a young naked man mentioned. Some believe that this man was Mark himself because he (mark), was a very young man at the time.

There is a Jewish tradition that says the Last Supper was held @ the home of Mark & his parents (he was young at this time...teenage young). Jesus & the disciples leave the Supper & head to Gethsemane. Soon after they leave, here comes Judas & the Roman arresting party. Mark's parents inform the authorities that Jesus left & went to Gethsemane. Mark overhears the conversation & dashes out to warn Jesus & company. When he gets there it's too late, but he is grabbed by one of the authorities. He's so desperate to get out from their grasp that he wiggles out of his pajamas & runs back home naked. This would explain it when Mark says the young man was wearing only a "linen garment." He had dressed in hastily fashion to warn Jesus.

I've always viewed it as sort of like Alfred Hitchcock or Stephen King...they often make cameo appearances in their stories that are put on the screen. Mark's gospel is the only one to record this incident & I think it's his cameo appearance, so to speak.

I know I'm way out of my theological league in this company, but let me make this quick observation. In Matt. 16, when Peter tried to prevent Jesus from returning to Jerusalem, He rebuked Peter for interfering with God's plan. It would seem typical of the symmetry we so often find in Biblical texts, for Peter to be the one who lops off Malchus' ear -- once again trying to protect Jesus. And since it was God's will that the passion go forward, would not Malchus be doing God's will at that point? Perhaps he received divine wisdom in that touch, and therefore, new that he should not interfere.

^In Romans chapter 9, Paul writes of something related, IMO. Verse 17 says, "For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, 'For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.'"

It seems to go along with the idea that God can use all things to accomplish His will. In my opinion, it doesn't make it good, right or acceptable that the person in question done wrong. Instead it speaks to the providence and omniscience of God in being able to achieve His purpose through sinful human beings.