November 3, 201114 yr Sounds like bad parenting. Do you think this is the first kid to try marijauna? Was it a bad choice and does it need to be dealt with? Absolutely. I have no doubt that this kid is not the only High School athlete to try an illeagal substance. Before we start judging this kid or his family let's take a closer look. Kids do stupid things. I'm sure there is one or two of us on this page that have done stupid things as a kid that we would never consider doing now or would ever want our own children to do. Pay the consequence and move on but let's not label the kid or the family as a failure. Chances are if this kid wasn't a top recruit this doesn't get any further than the inner circles at Dixie.
November 3, 201114 yr ^ Your last sentence is the complete and total truth. If Pike wasn't such a high level recruit I would have a passing interest in this story.
November 3, 201114 yr I also thought I heard on the Fox 19 News at 10 last night saying the synthetic marijuana is illegal in Kentucky. Pretty sure you can buy it at the gas station. Maybe it's in Ohio where you can buy it. I'm not real sure.
November 3, 201114 yr Do you think this is the first kid to try marijauna? Was it a bad choice and does it need to be dealt with? Absolutely. I have no doubt that this kid is not the only High School athlete to try an illeagal substance. Before we start judging this kid or his family let's take a closer look. Kids do stupid things. I'm sure there is one or two of us on this page that have done stupid things as a kid that we would never consider doing now or would ever want our own children to do. Pay the consequence and move on but let's not label the kid or the family as a failure. Chances are if this kid wasn't a top recruit this doesn't get any further than the inner circles at Dixie. That last part is what makes this different - rightly or wrongly. It seems that a kid that has that much to lose would be a bit more careful. But we see all the time that the opposite is true. Famous and/or talented people (that have the most to lose) go about their lives thinking they are indestructible or above the law. Who's fault is that? First and foremost, their own. We are each responsible for our actions. But for these type of people there are enablers that "protect" them and smooth the road ahead of them. They range from parents and classmates to coaches and agents. I'm not saying any of this applies to this situation (though it may), I'm just commenting about these situations in general.
November 3, 201114 yr ^ Your last sentence is the complete and total truth. If Pike wasn't such a high level recruit I would have a passing interest in this story. My wife worked in Kenton County Schools for 28 years. If a student had illegal drugs on any school grounds they were suspended for 5 days. I guess the rules are not the same for high level recruits.:idunno:
November 3, 201114 yr My wife worked in Kenton County Schools for 28 years. If a student had illegal drugs on any school grounds they were suspended for 5 days. I guess the rules are not the same for high level recruits.:idunno: From what little I've read, the state has banned the sale of synthetic marijuana. However, new labels continue to come out and are placed on store shelves. The state tests the new label and then determines to pull from the shelves. So, depending on the label these kids had would determine if it were illegal or not, if my understanding is correct. If it's something they picked up at Thorton's after school, then it falls under something like their team tobacco policy which probably constitutes a one game suspension.
November 3, 201114 yr In other words, IF that actually happened in the presence of minors, then I think it would be a legal issue. Not saying it did or didn't. For what it's worth, I've spoken with a friend of mine who works in the Kenton County Commonwealth Attorney's office, and both Kenton and Boone County authorities are aware of the situation.
November 3, 201114 yr Sweep not implying you, but I don't recall Vance Sullivan getting these kind of considerations. I love NewCath too, but Sullivan's situation was more than this and he had pled guilty to harrassment.
November 3, 201114 yr My wife worked in Kenton County Schools for 28 years. If a student had illegal drugs on any school grounds they were suspended for 5 days. I guess the rules are not the same for high level recruits.:idunno: They should be but more often they aren't. I know of many similar stories and while the kids may not have been high level recruits like Pike they were important parts of their teams. I've seen kids kicked off teams for lesser offenses than those allowed to remain on the team. I think the door is still open for Pike to receive additional punishment. I guess we'll see.
November 3, 201114 yr Sadly Pike's name will not be equated or remembered for his on the field and court performances.(good or bad) He will be remembered for the off the field situations. He has become the Chris Henry of NKY HS football. Truly a sad situation. I feel for his family. However the true victims in this are his teammates and to some extent his coaches. I hope they come out and have a great game this weekend.
November 3, 201114 yr My wife worked in Kenton County Schools for 28 years. If a student had illegal drugs on any school grounds they were suspended for 5 days. I guess the rules are not the same for high level recruits.:idunno: DRUGS/ALCOHOL (Marijuana, Prescription, Dietary Supplements/Herbals, Others, Any alcohol/alcoholic items) - Use, Possession or Under the Influence; Sale, Transfer or Distribution of a drug, look-a-like drug, prescription medication, over the-counter medicine, or drug paraphernalia including (pipes, roach clips, hemostats, rolling papers, etc.) Drugs are defined as prescription (must be taken in accordance with school policy requiring a written pre-approved medical form completed by a physician) or any substance that has a harmful or unnatural effect on the person using them. This includes possession, use or under the influence on school property or at a school sponsored function. Possession includes items found on school property or at a school sponsored function. (To include, but not limited to locker assigned to student, vehicles driven by the students, any other place deposited by student including purse, backpack, garbage container, etc.). To be honest, I would like to see Kenton County Schools follow their own Student Code of Conduct a little more closely. I know of instances at other Kenton County Schools where student athletes were suspended for just a game for using marijuana, which is against the law no matter what the molecule make-up. I would like to believe that “wins and losses” aren’t more important than developing a student athlete to be a well-rounded, accountable-for-their-actions individual. Me personally, if it were my son, playing on Friday night (or the rest of the season for that matter) would be the least of his worries.
November 3, 201114 yr I think everyone needs to remember, that by legal definition, Pike is not a kid but an adult and as such he must be held to a higher standard. True he is still in HS but that was a choice that his parents fully understood when they held him back a year. HS or not, super star or not he is an adult!
November 3, 201114 yr This issue should have been delt with back in mid-summer when he had the same issue in Lexington but it was determined it belonged to passengers in the car??? Please, the kids a punk with a good arm for 7 on 7 tournaments.
November 3, 201114 yr Here is what I see in the situation. 1. Pike nor the other players were caught with or doing anything. There is no proof and the suspensions prove nothing. If there was any knowledge or proof, the players would have been suspended before Tuesday and the suspension would be more than one football game. So everyone posting on here assuming Pike and/or the other players did drugs before the game have no proof that this happened. 2. Since there is no proof, why the suspensions? I find it interesting that the suspensions occurred after players approached the administration with a demand. That assumption is based on reliable information on this site. Are the suspensions due to a witch hunt by the players or because of wrong doing by the accused players? I want to hear specifically why these players were suspended. They don't have to give exact details about specific substances but they should at least give a reason why the players were suspended and why it was only one football game. I ask all the posters on here to think deeper and dig deeper. Everyone is posting based on trying to piecemail information and accusations together then jumping to easy assumptions. I don't think it is that easy. I think the truth and the whole story still remains to be told.
November 3, 201114 yr Here is what I see in the situation. 1. Pike nor the other players were caught with or doing anything. There is no proof and the suspensions prove nothing. If there was any knowledge or proof, the players would have been suspended before Tuesday and the suspension would be more than one football game. So everyone posting on here assuming Pike and/or the other players did drugs before the game have no proof that this happened. 2. Since there is no proof, why the suspensions? I find it interesting that the suspensions occurred after players approached the administration with a demand. That assumption is based on reliable information on this site. Are the suspensions due to a witch hunt by the players or because of wrong doing by the players? I ask all the posters on here to think deeper and dig deeper. Everyone is posting based on trying to piecemail information and accusations together then jumping to easy assumptions. I don't think it is that easy. I think the truth and the whole story still remains to be told. If one is to think no saw anything how do we explain the players going to the coach/principal? Why just now? Why would the coach/principal give in and suspend 3 players for no reason simply because other players said "us or them?" Doesn't make sense.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.