Fantasy Phenom's WR Start 'Em/Sit 'Em Week 5

Rather than three players, I’ve got three combos of WR’s that you should start this week.

1. Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson, GB @ ATl – Jennings is averaging 13 fantasy points per game and consistently sees 8-10 targets per week in one of the best offenses in the league. Nelson isn’t as consistently targeted, but he is the clear #2 guy in Green Bay’s offense and he’s averaging 11.5 fantasy points per game. The Falcons meanwhile rank 10th worst in the league allowing over 24 fantasy points per game to opposing WR’s. Considering they’ve only played one offense remotely close to Green Bay (Week Two vs. Philly), they have not impressed. Tarvaris Jackson threw for 319 yards and 3 TD’s against Atlanta last week. In last year’s playoff matchup in Atlanta, Nelson and Jennings combined for 16 catches, 180 yards and a TD. Which leads me to…

2. Julio Jones and Roddy White, GB @ Atl – Green Bay has been even worse than Atlanta, allowing over 28 fantasy points per game to WR’s, but they are stingy against the run. Roddy White (45 targets) and Julio Jones (38) get plenty of opportunities as it is, and they’ll almost certainly be forced to throw the ball to keep up with Aaron Rodgers and company. Both guys are averaging around 8-9 points per game. There’s a good chance they’ll top that this week.

3. Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes, NYJ @ NE – Neither guy has been great to date. Burress is averaging 6.8 points per game and Holmes 5.3. The Jets have faced three of the better fantasy defenses vs. WR’s through 4 weeks. This week they get the best matchup in the league, against a Patriot defense that allows nearly 31 points per game to opposing WR’s. Take one bad game from each of these WR’s and they get between 7-10 targets apiece each week. The Jets will likely have to score some points to keep up with Tom Brady, and since they’re struggling to run the ball, there’s a good chance Burress and Holmes could have their best weeks of the season.

Sit 'Em

1. Deion Branch, NYJ @ NE – The Patriots are facing the second toughest fantasy matchup vs. WR’s this week. There’s also a chance that Aaron Hernandez could return, which would likely take 5-10 targets off the table.

2. Mike Wallace, Ten @ Pit – Mike Wallace is the type of guy who can scored double digit points with one reception, so it is a risk to bench him. However, I don’t like the situation this week. Tennessee is one of the worst WR matchups through 4 games (14 points per game allowed to WR). We all know about the Steelers o-line, but the rub for me is the injury to Big Ben. If he can’t move around and extend plays, I don’t like Wallace’s chances to get deep for a big play. Also, if the defense continues to struggle, the Steelers opportunites overall may be limited.

3. Johnny Knox, Chi @ Det – Detroit is not a good matchup. They’ve fared pretty well against opposing WR’s. Beyond that, Chicago struggles to protect Cutler and Detroit is good at getting pressure. Chicago also re-committed to the ground game last week, so expect them to try to continue on that route. Knox leads the Bears with 23 targets and he’s averaging almost 20 yards per catch, so there is always the chance he’ll strike with a big TD catch. But, that looks like your only shot this week.

A couple of sleepers to boot.

1. Randall Cobb – See above on Falcons/Packers matchup.

2. Jacoby Jones/Kevin Walter – With Andre Johnson out for three weeks, somebody has to pick up the slack. Neither guy has done much to date. Their combined numbers are 16 targets, 11 receptions, 140 yards, and a TD. Andre Johnson has 37 targets, 25 receptions, 352 yards, and 2 TD. There is plenty of slack to be picked up.

Unless you're insanely stacked at WR, I'd never bench Welker.

I think Wallace depends on what else you have at WR. If you've got other good WR's with favorable matchups, I'd consider benching him. But, I agree that it is always a risk because he's the type of guy that can have 80 yards and a TD on two catches. It is interesting that Antonio Brown (33), not Mike Wallace (31), leads the Steelers in targets.

I'd play Wallace. My guess is that Ben will be getting the ball out on the edge to Wallace in space more this game. Look for Starks to start at LT, upgrade. And they get another starter back this week at guard. Ben will take an injection, play like he always does.

Unless you're insanely stacked at WR, I'd never bench Welker.

I think Wallace depends on what else you have at WR. If you've got other good WR's with favorable matchups, I'd consider benching him. But, I agree that it is always a risk because he's the type of guy that can have 80 yards and a TD on two catches. It is interesting that Antonio Brown (33), not Mike Wallace (31), leads the Steelers in targets.

You won't find many teams that have Mike Wallace on them and also have guys on their bench worthy of starting over Mike Wallace. I have Wallace, A Johnson, S Johnson and Cobb on BGP team and I am only starting Cobb because A Johnson is hurt. This team is also extremely weak at RB because I grabbed those WR's instead of RB's. That and I drafted Johnathon Stewart and then Carolina resigned Williams which effectively ruined my draft strategy. Mikel Leshoure getting hurt for the year devastated me as well. Cobb has 8 targets this year. No way would I start him over Wallace or Steve Johnson for that matter.

I did pick up Antonio Brown in my pay league. Of course that gives me Brown and Wallace on that team. I picked him up so no one else can have him. Another interesting fact about Brown.....0 tds this year with those 33 targets.

You won't find many teams that have Mike Wallace on them and also have guys on their bench worthy of starting over Mike Wallace. I have Wallace, A Johnson, S Johnson and Cobb on BGP team and I am only starting Cobb because A Johnson is hurt. This team is also extremely weak at RB because I grabbed those WR's instead of RB's. That and I drafted Johnathon Stewart and then Carolina resigned Williams which effectively ruined my draft strategy. Mikel Leshoure getting hurt for the year devastated me as well. Cobb has 8 targets this year. No way would I start him over Wallace or Steve Johnson for that matter.

I did pick up Antonio Brown in my pay league. Of course that gives me Brown and Wallace on that team. I picked him up so no one else can have him. Another interesting fact about Brown.....0 tds this year with those 33 targets.

His numbers aren't great (15 catches, 223 yards), but if the targets keep coming at that rate you have to believe the numbers will eventually be there as well.

Johnny Knox frustrates me to no end. Granted the play calling, and Cutler are both pretty inconsistent to go along with Knox, but man. Thankfully I actually have a little depth there and was also able to grab Nate Washington before Britt went down, making him a lil more valuable.

His numbers aren't great (15 catches, 223 yards), but if the targets keep coming at that rate you have to believe the numbers will eventually be there as well.

His targets give him some value. No doubt. I don't expect him to have more than 8 tds by years end though it should still be a successful season for Brown. I think the real question is who will be the #2 receiver by years end. Sanders or Brown?

Wallace should have double digit tds and will most likely lead the team in all receiving categories by years end. Barring injury.

Week One

Chad Henne (37 fantasy points) = 30/49, 416 yards, 2 TD, 1 Int (7 rush, 59 yards, TD)

Brandon Marshall (13) = 7 rec, 139 yds

Davone Bess (9) = 5 rec, 92 yds

Brian Hartline (10) = 4 rec, 47 yds

Week Two

Philip Rivers (23) = 29/40, 378 yds, 2 TD, 2 Int (2 rush, 12 yds)

Vincent Jackson (29) = 10 rec, 172 yds, 2 TD

Malcolm Floyd (5) = 2 rec, 59 yds

Week Three

Ryan Fitzpatrick (22) = 27/40, 369 yds, 2 TD, 2 Int

Donald Jones (10) = 5 rec, 101 yds

Stevie Johnson (15) = 8 rec, 94 yds, TD

David Nelson (8) = 6 rec, 84 yds

Week Four

Jason Campbell (21) = 25/39, 344 yds, TD, 2 Int (4 rush, 29 yds)

Darrius Heyward-Bey (11) = 4 rec, 115 yds

Denarius Moore (7) = 3 rec, 19 yds, TD

That is what opposing QB's and WR's have done against New England through 4 weeks. Not trying to put words in the mouth of Fantasy Phenom, but perhaps that's what he was thinking. Maybe not in that much detail, but...:idunno:

I give him some props for trying to go beyond the obvious. If you have to ask whether you should start Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, maybe you shouldn't be playing fantasy football to start with.:D

His targets give him some value. No doubt. I don't expect him to have more than 8 tds by years end though it should still be a successful season for Brown. I think the real question is who will be the #2 receiver by years end. Sanders or Brown?

Wallace should have double digit tds and will most likely lead the team in all receiving categories by years end. Barring injury.

No doubt Wallace is the guy. I think Brown has supplanted Sanders. JMO