Beechwood 27 Newport Central Catholic 14 (Frosh)

theguru

Breds looked ok for first game. Couple of big plays doomed the Breds. 7-6 game at half. BW ran Td first play from scrimmage in the second half. Then scored on a long pass play in the 4th. BW has a really nice freshmen team, huge D line. Proud of the NCC kids for fighting to the end. I know these kids were gassed by the 3rd quarter but they continued to fight and never gave up. Kids showed a lot of heart. NCC was also without the services of one of their better players tonight who was out with an injury. Breds will be fine. Good Luck to both teams the rest of the year, hopefully they will meet again in the playoffs.

Fun game to watch. B'wood had numbers, size, and to a large extent speed. The better team won. I have to say NCC had about 18 or so kids and some never came out of the game. Very gutsy display. I have to say the future is bright for B'wood those kids will fit right into their system.

NCC not having Logan Neff certainly makes a difference. Hope he heals and gets back to playing football soon.

I thought the game being 7-6 at half was fairly deceptive. Beechwood had 3 turnovers in the first half and four for the game. Beechwood fumbled the ball on their own 10 yard line on their first drive but kept NCC from scoring by intercepting the ball in the end zone. I believe Beechwood scored on their next drive and NCC responded with a TD on their next drive. Beechwood was moving the ball but turnovers cost them on some drives.

Beechwood defense was the difference in the game. Beechwood did an excellent jobs shutting down the NCC screen passes that usually hurts them at all levels versus NCC. Outside of the TD scoring drive in the first half NCC didn't have that many yards until the drive at the end of the game vs the Beechwood subs. Jacob Arlinghaus was destroying his man on punt returns. That player was getting pushed back so far he would run into the punter. One time the punter hit him with the kick and only netted a 3 yard punt.

I thought the Beechwood coaches did an excellent job. The used both Ryan Bankemper and Jacob Schmidt at tailback and that kept them fresh. They are different style runners so it likely made it harder for NCC to defend. Jacob Schmidt didn't play much defense so he was fresh and that allowed him to make a cut or two and then run away from everyone on the long TD run. The long pass for the touchdown was great call. Several runs in a row had the NCC defense looking for run and the 6 foot plus Brayden Combs got behind the defense for the long pass and run after catch. Brayden had another catch and long run that got the Tigers down to the 2 yard line to set up their final TD.

NCC was definitely having fatigue issues. Several guys went down to cramping. Beechwood freshman team is fairly deep, especially on the line but their are probably 5-6 guys that get significant time on both sides of the ball that weren't having the same issues as the NCC players.

Congrats to both teams. NCC played hard to the final snap!

Beechwood's freshman team is made up of 8th and 9th graders. There are six 8th graders who get regular playing time. It will be interesting to see these guys in two years at the varsity level playing with the current sophomore class. That team could have a nice mix of experience and talent.

Rumor in the stands was that NCC had 4 sophomores playing. Is that true? My understanding is that it was agreed upon but the question is why can't NCC get enough freshman boys out to play. I don't remember this being a problem in the past.

I feel the refs need to pick up their game! There were 2 hits out of bounds that should have been called but weren't (one each team). After the 2nd hit on the NCC quarterback Coach Eviston came from the 25 yard line (holding his daughter) up to midfield and was giving it to the ref on the sideline. I'm sorry, but a coach who isn't part of the game coaching staff shouldn't be able interact with the refs.

Refs needing to pick up their game is an understatement. Coach Eviston is on the sidelines as the varsity coach and has every right to say something to the ref on a pathetic non call like that and is trying to fight for his future players. Crucial part of the game, with that 15yd personal foul NCC would have have another first down deep in Beechwood territory. BTW- Coach Eviston was talking to the ref and was not screaming at him at all, I hate when people go on hear talking junk when they have no idea what they are talking about.

NCC not having Logan Neff certainly makes a difference. Hope he heals and gets back to playing football soon.

I thought the game being 7-6 at half was fairly deceptive. Beechwood had 3 turnovers in the first half and four for the game. Beechwood fumbled the ball on their own 10 yard line on their first drive but kept NCC from scoring by intercepting the ball in the end zone. I believe Beechwood scored on their next drive and NCC responded with a TD on their next drive. Beechwood was moving the ball but turnovers cost them on some drives.

Beechwood defense was the difference in the game. Beechwood did an excellent jobs shutting down the NCC screen passes that usually hurts them at all levels versus NCC. Outside of the TD scoring drive in the first half NCC didn't have that many yards until the drive at the end of the game vs the Beechwood subs. Jacob Arlinghaus was destroying his man on punt returns. That player was getting pushed back so far he would run into the punter. One time the punter hit him with the kick and only netted a 3 yard punt.

I thought the Beechwood coaches did an excellent job. The used both Ryan Bankemper and Jacob Schmidt at tailback and that kept them fresh. They are different style runners so it likely made it harder for NCC to defend. Jacob Schmidt didn't play much defense so he was fresh and that allowed him to make a cut or two and then run away from everyone on the long TD run. The long pass for the touchdown was great call. Several runs in a row had the NCC defense looking for run and the 6 foot plus Brayden Combs got behind the defense for the long pass and run after catch. Brayden had another catch and long run that got the Tigers down to the 2 yard line to set up their final TD.

NCC was definitely having fatigue issues. Several guys went down to cramping. Beechwood freshman team is fairly deep, especially on the line but their are probably 5-6 guys that get significant time on both sides of the ball that weren't having the same issues as the NCC players.

Congrats to both teams. NCC played hard to the final snap!

Beechwood's freshman team is made up of 8th and 9th graders. There are six 8th graders who get regular playing time. It will be interesting to see these guys in two years at the varsity level playing with the current sophomore class. That team could have a nice mix of experience and talent.

Rumor in the stands was that NCC had 4 sophomores playing. Is that true? My understanding is that it was agreed upon but the question is why can't NCC get enough freshman boys out to play. I don't remember this being a problem in the past.

I feel the refs need to pick up their game! There were 2 hits out of bounds that should have been called but weren't (one each team). After the 2nd hit on the NCC quarterback Coach Eviston came from the 25 yard line (holding his daughter) up to midfield and was giving it to the ref on the sideline. I'm sorry, but a coach who isn't part of the game coaching staff shouldn't be able interact with the refs.[/QUOTE]

Happens all the time.. Logan Neff also would of made a difference in the game. The kid is a player and will knock your head off..