Class system and public separated from private

Crossbar

With the class system for football, how many private 3a schools are there?

Covington Catholic and Lexington Catholic. Who else? How fun of a state tournament would that be. Semi-finalists every year at worst.

Its to my understanding someone correct me if I'm wrong. But there are only 16 total private High School football teams in the state.

• 2 weeks later...
Its to my understanding someone correct me if I'm wrong. But there are only 16 total private High School football teams in the state.

You could very well be correct. So maybe they would have only 2 classes with A and AA in one class and AAA and AAAA being combined.

You could very well be correct. So maybe they would have only 2 classes with A and AA in one class and AAA and AAAA being combined.

I would guess that would not be legal since the only stipulation in Prop 20 was that there be separate playoffs for public and private schools. If A and AA and AAA/AAAA were combined it would have to be that way on the public playoff side.

I would guess that would not be legal since the only stipulation in Prop 20 was that there be separate playoffs for public and private schools. If A and AA and AAA/AAAA were combined it would have to be that way on the public playoff side.

Talk about watering it down if they did split it. It would be the end of any type of respectability of winning the state for private schools. They would have to combine A and AA; AAA and AAAA. And that would still be watered down.

Talk about watering it down if they did split it. It would be the end of any type of respectability of winning the state for private schools. They would have to combine A and AA; AAA and AAAA. And that would still be watered down.

The problem you'd run into more than anything else there would be the small private schools like O-Cath, DeSales and their compatriots dealing with the powerhouses of Trinity and St.x. Would they win every now and then? Sure they would. Holy Cross is the team that ended Trinity's streak in 91. DeSales made it to the 4A title game one year, back when every Louisvile school was 4A no matter the size. There are years the smaller schools could do it in a class like that, but more often than not they would have no chance to compete.

That's why you don't seperate them,just multiply their enrollment by 1.5 like some other states do,effectively making them move up a class.Except St.X and Trinity- they can play the Ohio or Indiana teams for a tri-state championship! :lol:

If separated, the better schools will still be participating in the private school playoffs. So, if T and X compete each year for the Class 4A private school championship, the game will still feature, most likely, the two best 4A teams in the state. Possibly, the same could be said about LexCath and CovCath. It is quality that matters- not quantity. Of course, if separated, it should be done so that the private schools don't have to subsidize the public schools from their gate receipts. All private greenbacks should be divied up among the private schools. After all, the publics have the state and federal government to provide all of that "legal assistance" (Could we say in many cases "quasi-scholarships"?) to the public student bodies.

I did this research and posted in another thread. I have copied it over to here.

Did some research from the KHSAA website. These are fairly accurate but some schools I did not count either way because I was not 100% sure of their classifications. Apollo, Iroquois, Fort Campbell, I thought were public schools.

A 46 publics, 1 state finalists, 2%. 5 privates 1 state finalists, 20%

AA 48 publics, 1 state finalists, 2%. 3 privates 1 state finalists, 33%

AAA 51 publics, 1 state finalists, 1.9%. 2 privates 1 state finalists, 50%

AAAA 51 publics, 0 state finalists, 0% 2 privates 2 state finalists, 100%

Approximately 200 public schools compete in football and they fielded 3 state finalists for 1.5%.

By my count, there are 12 private schools that fielded football teams and they have 5 finalists for 41.7%.

(My count had A Holy Cross(Cov), Kentucky Country Day, Holy Cross(L), Newport Catholic and Lex Christian; AA Owensboro Catholic, CAL, DeSales; AAA Cov Cath and Lex Cath; AAAA St. X and Trinity. Please point out any schools I missed and I will correct my figures.)

Your research is fine- so far as it goes. However, if all of the finalists were public schools, the percentages would only be A: 4 %; AA: 4 %; AAA: 3.8 %; and AAAA: 4 %. Of course, I suppose we could say that, of those who reached the playoffs, the overwhelmingly high percentage in each class were public schools, couldn't we? Therefore, couldn't we conclude that the public schools had the overwhelming advantage in the playoffs?

Of course, this is ridiculous. However, any use of statistics can be manipulated. All that really matters is that the private schools apparently have the best football teams. Maybe, the public schools should spend more time working to produce better teams and less time trying to get rid of the competition. Let's avoid the temptation to "dumb down" athletics as has been done in public school academics with KERA.

I did this research and posted in another thread. I have copied it over to here.

Did some research from the KHSAA website. These are fairly accurate but some schools I did not count either way because I was not 100% sure of their classifications. Apollo, Iroquois, Fort Campbell, I thought were public schools.

A 46 publics, 1 state finalists, 2%. 5 privates 1 state finalists, 20%

AA 48 publics, 1 state finalists, 2%. 3 privates 1 state finalists, 33%

AAA 51 publics, 1 state finalists, 1.9%. 2 privates 1 state finalists, 50%

AAAA 51 publics, 0 state finalists, 0% 2 privates 2 state finalists, 100%

Approximately 200 public schools compete in football and they fielded 3 state finalists for 1.5%.

By my count, there are 12 private schools that fielded football teams and they have 5 finalists for 41.7%.

(My count had A Holy Cross(Cov), Kentucky Country Day, Holy Cross(L), Newport Catholic and Lex Christian; AA Owensboro Catholic, CAL, DeSales; AAA Cov Cath and Lex Cath; AAAA St. X and Trinity. Please point out any schools I missed and I will correct my figures.)

Statistics are like bikinis. Show a lot, hide the good stuff.

Since 2000 Beechwood, NCC, and Highlands (2.7% of the teams in Class A and AAA in KY) have played in the following state championships:

NCC: 2000, 2001, 2005

Beechwood: 2002, 2003, 2004

Highlands: 2000, 2003, 2004

That's 45% of the finalists in A and AAA from 2.7% of the teams. That's 40% of the state champions in A and AAA from 2.7% of the teams in A and AAA.

Obviously these NKY teams have some sort of advantage. The playing field needs to be leveled.

Since 2000 Danville and Boyle County (1.8% of the teams in A and AAA have played in the following state championships

Danville: 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004

Boyle Co: 2000 in AA, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004

That's 40% of the finalist in Class A and AAA from 1.8% of the teams. That's 50% of the state champs in A and AAA from 1.8% of the teams.

Obviously these Central KY teams have some sort of advantage. The playing field needs to be leveled.

While we are at it lets look at Class A:

2000: Danville over NCC

2001: Danville over NCC

2002: Mayfield over Beechwood

2003: Danville over Beechwood

2004: Beechwood over Danville

2005: NCC over Mayfield

How can 7.4% of the teams in Class A produce 100% of the State Finalists since 2000?

Obviously these teams have some sort of advantage. The playing field needs to be leveled.

Statistics are like bikinis. Show a lot, hide the good stuff.

Since 2000 Beechwood, NCC, and Highlands (2.7% of the teams in Class A and AAA in KY) have played in the following state championships:

NCC: 2000, 2001, 2005

Beechwood: 2002, 2003, 2004

Highlands: 2000, 2003, 2004

That's 45% of the finalists in A and AAA from 2.7% of the teams. That's 40% of the state champions in A and AAA from 2.7% of the teams in A and AAA.

Obviously these NKY teams have some sort of advantage. The playing field needs to be leveled.

Since 2000 Danville and Boyle County (1.8% of the teams in A and AAA have played in the following state championships

Danville: 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004

Boyle Co: 2000 in AA, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004

That's 40% of the finalist in Class A and AAA from 1.8% of the teams. That's 50% of the state champs in A and AAA from 1.8% of the teams.

Obviously these Central KY teams have some sort of advantage. The playing field needs to be leveled.

While we are at it lets look at Class A:

2000: Danville over NCC

2001: Danville over NCC

2002: Mayfield over Beechwood

2003: Danville over Beechwood

2004: Beechwood over Danville

2005: NCC over Mayfield

How can 7.4% of the teams in Class A produce 100% of the State Finalists since 2000?

Obviously these teams have some sort of advantage. The playing field needs to be leveled.

WOW that is impressive!

So LBBC what do you think the QUOTA of public schools in championship games should be? How many championships should public schools be ENTITLED to on a yearly basis?

I agree that stats can show your warts or your beauty marks, whichever you want to show. :D

Over the past few months and listening to all the debate, I quickly dismiss the hard work argument as ridiculous in 99% of the cases. Having been a coach in several different sports in a rural county, I know going into it, I have severe disadvantages against any city/private/independent school I face.

I am not sure that the split should be by size or private/public or by the type of school. Our school is in Lex Catholics class size. We will NEVER compete on a year in and year out basis with them. Once every 10-15 years, we can have an outstanding class and have a good 1-3 year run and compete with them but yearly, not going to happen.

In another thread, someone pointed out 10 public schools that have success. Only 2 of those are county schools. 116 other county schools (eliminated Jefferson and Fayette) don't. That seems awful high percentage.