Stefan LeFors new HC @ CAL

I would say "actual coaching" makes up a much lower PERCENTAGE of things you do when you're a head coach, but trust me -- especially at a small school -- there's still a LOT of 'actual coaching' a head coach does.

In the NFL this may not be true, but I'm pretty sure Dale Mueller, Bob Beatty, Mike Glaser, etc. do a LOT of 'actual coaching' every single day in practice...and they are blessed with GREAT assistants who know their football, many of whom would probably be good head coaches themselves.

Good luck to Coach LeFors. CAL has a lot of potential, and Stefan certainly proved at UofL he had what it took to overcome expectations. Great players do not always great coaches make (I would almost argue the opposite is true), but let's hope this is an exception to the rule.

As is usual, excellent post. Having first hand knowledge of the above, high school head coaches are extremely hands on. I have always said that CAL is sitting on a land mine if they want it to be. I guess we have an opportunity to find out.

If this is his first coaching job, this could get ugly quick. I hope he does well, but I would say odds are stacked against him.

He was under John L and Petrino at UofL...Seems like he has been taught by 2 decent coaches

:

As is usual, excellent post. Having first hand knowledge of the above, high school head coaches are extremely hands on. I have always said that CAL is sitting on a land mine if they want it to be. I guess we have an opportunity to find out.

I hope you meant gold mine and not land mine.:D

they are blessed with GREAT assistants who know their football, many of whom would probably be good head coaches themselves.

That is the key!! He cannot do it alone. By NO stretch am I saying he can't or won't be successful. I actually think CAL is a hidden gem if they can get someone who will stick around. My POINT is that there is so much administrative work involved that this can take away from everything else. However, if they can get him some help in this area (paperwork, academics, parents, program management...etc) then he's got a shot. I don't doubt he knows his X's and O's, total program management is more what I was referring to. Good luck to CAL!

• 3 weeks later...