New Game Format

Thunderstruck

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An advantage to having the three games on Saturday is that football-basketball players that are finished with football have an opportunity to attend the games. Most boys basketball teams play on Fridays, so by moving one game to Saturday, these kids (and coaches, and parents) have an opportunity to watch the games.

The only argument I would make about not having the Sweet 16 during the school week is that there are so many games in comparison to football. You could play the games on just weekends and continue for 3 or four weeks, but that would cause some fans to lose interest in the tournament. I see what you are saying, but its just so hard with the number of games to played in the Sweet 16.

If there was ever something that proves that "you can't make everyone happy", this is it...

Personally, I think the new setup is as ideal as possible. The players/parents/fans most likely involved in the 4A game (2 of the "Big 3") have the shortest drive, so it makes sense to put them on Friday after school/work.

The other class games benefit from being on Saturday because it becomes doable to get to Louisville.

The city's hotels ought to LOVE the new setup !!

I like the 2 and 2 better but I agree that this year does make it better for the 4A game. It does also work out for people in WKY or SEKY that normally miss games due to work. I guess you could say that I kind of straddle the fence on this situation.

As for the sweet 16. I don't know how easy it would be to stretch out over 2 weeks. You have to consider the cost of renting Rupp from the city and all of that.

I would think the Hotels would lose some revenue. I expect a decent amount of people attend all the games and as such would not have to worry about arriving Thursday night for the first Friday game.

But what the heck would I know...

If there was ever something that proves that "you can't make everyone happy", this is it...

Personally, I think the new setup is as ideal as possible. The players/parents/fans most likely involved in the 4A game (2 of the "Big 3") have the shortest drive, so it makes sense to put them on Friday after school/work.

The other class games benefit from being on Saturday because it becomes doable to get to Louisville.

The city's hotels ought to LOVE the new setup !!

The hotels probably will lose a little on this deal, but I'd bet the money they make on finals weekend is just a drop in the bucket for them anyway. It's not something that's going to make or break their balance sheet, and it's certainly not as much as the Lex. hotels get from the Sweet 16.

The hotels probably will lose a little on this deal, but I'd bet the money they make on finals weekend is just a drop in the bucket for them anyway. It's not something that's going to make or break their balance sheet, and it's certainly not as much as the Lex. hotels get from the Sweet 16.

I don't think that is the point of all of this. The Sweet 16 is King in KY, we all know that, the complaint here is why change a good thing. The answer is because the KHSAA was directed to get events out of school time, the funny part is the boys and girls Sweet 16 and the girls and boys All A Classic were given free passes and football got a raw deal.

Hopefully this will all change under the six class format with two games on Thursday, two on Friday, and two on Saturday starting in 2007.

I was agreeing with the point -- and your earlier post -- in a roundabout way, saying the move doesn't have much impact on Louisville and its hotels, because the core of non-partisan fans is really pretty small, especially compared to the hoops fans.

Sidebar question: Wouldn't they be inclined to play a 3-and-3 format (Fri.-Sat.) with 6 classes?

Sidebar question: Wouldn't they be inclined to play a 3-and-3 format (Fri.-Sat.) with 6 classes?

All I can say is the coaches I have talked to are upset with the current 1 and 3 format and they told me they will be pushing for 2, 2, and 2. The way they look at it is if it is ok for the Sweet 16 and the All A Classic it should be ok for them. I guess time will tell.