Holmes 83 Beechwood 78

Walter

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure which game you were watching but Fangman wasn't slowed down until Gray was switched to him toward the beginning of the fourth quarter. He had 25 midway through the 3rd with Coston, Palmer, Rice and Hayes all trying to slow him down. Gray was switched to him and immediately got a big steal and lay in at the other end to put Holmes ahead.

Not sure what game you were watching but Gray was on Fangman all night. Only thing that slowed Fangman was fatigue and a spained ankle!

Congrats to both teams. That game is what the postseason is all about. Beechwood could not have played better. Fangman was tough, and Maus and Cruse also played well for the Tigers. Coach Shumate had the proper game plan to give his team a chance. Congrats to the Dogs also as they didn't panic and came back to advance to the district title game and the region tourney. Holmes will have to rebound better to win the region that is for sure. Holmes has great leapers, but not a ton of size and as EZ Living always says-matchups will be key next week.

Beechwood rebounded extremely well in the first half. They had several 2nd chance buckets and held Holmes to one shot. Holmes was trying to jump over them and the Tigers were fundamentally sound in boxing out. I know there are no moral victories, but Beechwood probably could not have played better. They made the 'Dawgs work for this one.

I believe Beechwood out-rebounded Holmes 18-11 in the first half. They definetly made the Dogs work.

Not sure what game you were watching but Gray was on Fangman all night. Only thing that slowed Fangman was fatigue and a spained ankle!

Wrong.

I'm watching the second quarter right now. Demarco Amison is on Fangman to begin the quarter. He gets two quick buckets and then BJ Coston checks in. Coston is called for a foul with Fangman driving up the sideline and Hayes is switched to him. He scores on Hayes and then on the next possession hits a 3 with Rice defending him. Gray picks up a foul defending Fangman out on the perimeter, his first foul, and then Hayes goes back to defending him. Gray was only on him one possession during the first half. After this possession, Knox is put on him but Fangman hits a mid range jumper over him and picks up a few fouls so he is forced to sit. Palmer then checks in and defends Fangman but he can't slow him down either either so Hayes is put back on him.

It wasn't until midway through the 3rd quarter when Holmes switched to the M2M defense that Gray was put on him. Again, Fangman didn't slow down until Gray was put on him. If you remember correctly, it was Gray who got the steal and the and one to put Holmes on top 68-66.

I am trying to picture the final stat sheet in my head, but I think the final count on rebounding was 39-27?

It wouldn't surprise me if Beechwood out-rebounded Holmes by that margin. They hit the offensive glass hard and got a lot of second chance points.

Congrats to Beechwood on a nice season for a young team and to the two seniors, Matt Brennan and Tyler Fangman. Tyler Fangman has to be right there with Hatton as the premier shooter in the ninth region. He had a great season and will be an asset on the next level. He can flat out shoot.

As to the game, strong effort to be sure. Cruse can really get after it on the boards. Fangman did his thing but there just wasn't enough offensive firepower and depth to help him out. Unfortunately, Fangman gets virtually no rest because the Tigers have to have him on the floor. As a result he is drained by the time the 4th quarter rolls around. Having a fresh defender on him in Gray had impact but I would agree that fatigue was probably more of a factor. A similar thing happened in his big game versus Boone County. I believe he had 43 points in the first three quarters of that game but was only able to get 2 more points in Q4 due to fatigue and a defensive change by Boone. It was nice to see Maus finally show some offensive prowess in a big game. That was probably the biggest factor in Beechwood playing the Bulldogs so tough. Fangman will get his against anyone. Cruse usually is good for double digits. When Maus produces offensively, Beechwood can hang with anyone.

Good luck to Holmes as they move forward.

I kept waiting for Holmes to go on a big run to close BW out earlier than they did. They just couldn't shake BW and if it wasn't for a few questionable calls at the end that favored Holmes this game could have gone the other way. Holmes is more athletic but BW played a great game and deserves a lot of credit for hanging in until the end.

I kept waiting for Holmes to go on a big run to close BW out earlier than they did. They just couldn't shake BW and if it wasn't for a few questionable calls at the end that favored Holmes this game could have gone the other way. Holmes is more athletic but BW played a great game and deserves a lot of credit for hanging in until the end.

Please.

This was one of the best officiated games I've seen all year, regardless of who won and who lost. There were questionable calls against both teams, I agree, but none that were big enough to impact the game's outcome. And if I remember correctly, up until late in the game when B'wood had to start fouling, Holmes had more fouls called on them.

Please.

This was one of the best officiated games I've seen all year, regardless of who won and who lost. There were questionable calls against both teams, I agree, but none that were big enough to impact the game's outcome. And if I remember correctly, up until late in the game when B'wood had to start fouling, Holmes had more fouls called on them.

Officiating was fine, anyone can always be critical of some calls during the game. It was not even close to being a factor.

Officiating was fine, anyone can always be critical of some calls during the game. It was not even close to being a factor.

:thumb:

Nice meeting you last night, BTW. Stop over and say hello before the game tomorrow night. I'll likely be in the same spot again.