Holy Cross 59 Covington Catholic 54

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that?

Because Listerman is a very good coach and I am sure he will prepare better for their next matchup. Not to mention, Cov Cath will likely get a better game out of Connolly who didnt seem to show up. Throw in its tough to beat a good team twice within 2 weeks.

Made my first ever visit to Covington Catholic for basketball tonight and loved every minute of it. I was very impressed with the resilience of Holy Cross. I'm not sure they are that great of a team, but they played hard and kept battling and came out ahead. When they got hot late in the third quarter the tide completely turned. If they had nailed some foul shots throughout it wouldn't have been this close.

I was less than impressed with Covington Catholic's guard play. They didn't handle the ball well and didn't appear to have anyone that could shoot consistently. Thelen was really good, but he was more of a junk-man tonight. Cleaned up a lot of stuff around the basket, but I think they should have ran more designed sets to get him looks. The big kid, Baker, was all thumbs for most of the game, although he did come on late. If those two had been playing better, or at least if the team had been playing through them more, I think CovCath would have got the win.

Finally, I really enjoyed the student sections for both sides. Holy Cross brought a good road atmosphere and the Ghostbusters skit at halftime was really cool. I had seen CovCath at the state tournament a few years back and knew what to expect, but they still put on a nice show. The halftime stuff with the one kid leading cheers and then the "Rocky" stuff with punches was terrific. Great night all around!

I am sorry but I have to disagree. While the guards did not score much, which they have never been asked to do, they did a good job with the ball. The colonels had 13 turnovers, and only a couple were by the guards. What did the team in last nite again IMO was the missed lay-ups and put backs. There were even a couple of times when it looked like the guys were going to dunk the ball, only to miss the shot. The other thing is that I do believe that the colonels were out coached, and are not using their strengths. They are deep enough and athletic enough that the could have pressed the Indians the whole game as well. This team should never have stayed in that dang zone Oh well. I still think that if the boys get back to playing unselfish team ball, and having fun like they did early in the year, they can turn this season back around.

I couldn't agree more kinglouie. The CCH guards have been the scape goats the whole season, of course when things are going bad. I said it a month ago that CCH has not developed anyone on their bench for games like this and that Listerman going to a short bench in December was going to kill them. It has and if changes aren't made they will not beat HC in two weeks.

Because Listerman is a very good coach and I am sure he will prepare better for their next matchup. Not to mention, Cov Cath will likely get a better game out of Connolly who didnt seem to show up. Throw in its tough to beat a good team twice within 2 weeks.

I am not directing this at you Q, but while you and I believe that Coach L is a good coach, there are people on this website who will say he is a good coach and in the same breath say that he should have played more man-to-man defense against us on Friday night. I think Coach L knows what the best defense is for his group of young men at any given time during the game and I believe they will be well prepared for our next meeting in about 2.5 weeks.

I am sorry but I have to disagree. While the guards did not score much, which they have never been asked to do, they did a good job with the ball. The colonels had 13 turnovers, and only a couple were by the guards. What did the team in last nite again IMO was the missed lay-ups and put backs. There were even a couple of times when it looked like the guys were going to dunk the ball, only to miss the shot. The other thing is that I do believe that the colonels were out coached, and are not using their strengths. They are deep enough and athletic enough that the could have pressed the Indians the whole game as well. This team should never have stayed in that dang zone Oh well. I still think that if the boys get back to playing unselfish team ball, and having fun like they did early in the year, they can turn this season back around.

Here is the box score from the game on Friday from cybersportsusa.com:

http://www.cybersportsusa.com/webgames/webgame.asp?File=../livegames/Unknown/CCathHC020420111930.asp

As you can see, the Colonels committed 15 turnovers (10 in the 1st half), six of them by Maschinot and Riedinger.

I couldn't agree more kinglouie. The CCH guards have been the scape goats the whole season, of course when things are going bad. I said it a month ago that CCH has not developed anyone on their bench for games like this and that Listerman going to a short bench in December was going to kill them. It has and if changes aren't made they will not beat HC in two weeks.

Good point about bench development.

9 TOs by the guards. That's what Holy Cross does to teams.

Same number as HC guards. (Assuming that it is like most say, and they play basically 4 guards)

I will still say that the turnovers did not cost the Colonels the win. Not playing defense against the 3 point shot, and the missed lay-ups, that is what cost them. Yes it would have been nice to get some points from the outside, but that is not their offense this year

Edited by kinglouie

Same number as HC guards. (Assuming that it is like most say, and they play basically 4 guards)

I wasn't there so I can't speak to the end result of the TOs. HC's M.O. is to force turnovers by the guards that lead to quick shots/layups. Do we know how many of the 9 TOs by the guards resulted in points?

I wasn't there so I can't speak to the end result of the TOs. HC's M.O. is to force turnovers by the guards that lead to quick shots/layups. Do we know how many of the 9 TOs by the guards resulted in points?

Looks like HC got 10 points total from the CCH guard's TO's, 5 of those in the first couple minutes of the game, and 7 in the first half.