NKY frosh teams-

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always tough every year to say what freshman teams will be good. It's an unknown because most of your good to great freshman will at sometime during the season playing up, especially at smaller schools. Dixie undoubtedly has the best freshman player, but he will be starting the 2 guard spot for the Varsity. Walton would have a great freshman team, but their 2 best players will be playing primarily varisty and some JV. Brossart has a good freshman class, but I expect because of their upperclassmen numbers, those better players will see JV and possibly varsity time. Campbell has 2 good freshman players, one already appears to be in a starting role for the JV the other I'm sure will see JV time at some point this year. It's this way every year. The better thread title might have been who are some of the freshman players to watch for this year. IMO, they are:

1. Brandon Hatton (Dixie) - All around STUD! He will be in the top 10, possibly top 5 in scoring in the NKY area.

2. Zach McNeil (Walton) - Another scoring guard starting varsity!

3. Jamonte Wilson (Holmes) - The little that I've seen of him could give Covington alot to cheer about over the next 4 years.

4. Nathan Verst (Brossart) - Another scoring guard who can fill up the bucket in bunches.

5. Brandon Hergott (HHS) - Wing player with size, athleticism and great touch.

Ones to watch: Tanner Moeves (Walton) Mustafa Diaw (Boone), Nick True (HHS), Cory Holbrook (CCHS), Garrett Geiman (CCHS), Sam Dressman (CovCath), Nick Pope (CovCath), Jalen Beal (HC??), Jalen Avery (HC??), Seth Hope (HHS)

Sam Dressman will be playing JV for CovCath and Nick Pope is not playing basketball.

It's always tough every year to say what freshman teams will be good. It's an unknown because most of your good to great freshman will at sometime during the season playing up, especially at smaller schools. Dixie undoubtedly has the best freshman player, but he will be starting the 2 guard spot for the Varsity. Walton would have a great freshman team, but their 2 best players will be playing primarily varisty and some JV. Brossart has a good freshman class, but I expect because of their upperclassmen numbers, those better players will see JV and possibly varsity time. Campbell has 2 good freshman players, one already appears to be in a starting role for the JV the other I'm sure will see JV time at some point this year. It's this way every year. The better thread title might have been who are some of the freshman players to watch for this year. IMO, they are:

1. Brandon Hatton (Dixie) - All around STUD! He will be in the top 10, possibly top 5 in scoring in the NKY area.

2. Zach McNeil (Walton) - Another scoring guard starting varsity!

3. Jamonte Wilson (Holmes) - The little that I've seen of him could give Covington alot to cheer about over the next 4 years.

4. Nathan Verst (Brossart) - Another scoring guard who can fill up the bucket in bunches.

5. Brandon Hergott (HHS) - Wing player with size, athleticism and great touch.

Ones to watch: Tanner Moeves (Walton) Mustafa Diaw (Boone), Nick True (HHS), Cory Holbrook (CCHS), Garrett Geiman (CCHS), Sam Dressman (CovCath), Nick Pope (CovCath), Jalen Beal (HC??), Jalen Avery (HC??), Seth Hope (HHS)

I heard the the Harris kid from HHS is a player. I don't know much about him..

Ben Heppler and Brian Radcliff are two very talented players for CCH frosh. They dress JV and will probably find minutes there as the season goes on.

Mr Radcliff has indeed impressed me and I don't think you will see him getting many minutes playing Frosh basketball as the season moves forward.

Another CovCath frosh player is Billy and Andrew Schult little brother Mark. Have been told that Mark plays basketball like big brother Billy, who was a beast under the boards when it came time to grab a rebound!

I have been told Rieger and Burns will not sniff any frosh time. Both playing up.

When you talk to Brossart faithful they are looking forward to watching this group and think this class is one of strongest if not the strongest freshman class they have ever had. They are deep / athletic and big. Will be interesting to see how that particular class grows and develops - a lot can change for these kids over next couple of years. so you never know - but they do have some talent.

Certainly hope you are right, but that's a pretty big tag to hang on a group at this point?? Just in recent history, the Mustangs had a couple of fairly decent classes in 2005 and 2007 that both had some success. I'd say the target may be the '07 bunch which finished 24-2 against a very difficult schedule that included the likes of Scott County (1 point loss in the finals of the LexCath tourney & this team won the Sweet 16 as seniors), Mason County, CovCath, Holmes, LexCath, Clark Co., Pendleton Co, Cincy Elder, etc. They became the 1st team in school history to win the 10th region frosh title, go undefeated 23-0 as JV sophs, and went on to set several school records as seniors, winning the All "A" state title and finished the season ranked #1 in both NKY polls. Hope you're correct!!

Mr Radcliff has indeed impressed me and I don't think you will see him getting many minutes playing Frosh basketball as the season moves forward.

Another CovCath frosh player is Billy and Andrew Schult little brother Mark. Have been told that Mark plays basketball like big brother Billy, who was a beast under the boards when it came time to grab a rebound!

TOG - You will certainly know better than me, but inmy time it does not seem like Coach L has many freshman who play up. I think Luke Maile may have been the only one for some time. Are these Frosh seniors in training really that good that they will be dressing and playing JV? Heck, as of Tuesday nite, Coach still had sophs to cut to make the JV team final.

Certainly hope you are right, but that's a pretty big tag to hang on a group at this point?? Just in recent history, the Mustangs had a couple of fairly decent classes in 2005 and 2007 that both had some success. I'd say the target may be the '07 bunch which finished 24-2 against a very difficult schedule that included the likes of Scott County (1 point loss in the finals of the LexCath tourney & this team won the Sweet 16 as seniors), Mason County, CovCath, Holmes, LexCath, Clark Co., Pendleton Co, Cincy Elder, etc. They became the 1st team in school history to win the 10th region frosh title, go undefeated 23-0 as JV sophs, and went on to set several school records as seniors, winning the All "A" state title and finished the season ranked #1 in both NKY polls. Hope you're correct!!

Agree!!! Way too much hype - way too soon.

The '07s were amazing all four years that we were privileged to have them. They also finished ranked Number One in Northern Kentucky their senior season.

Let's just keep it that this is a VERY NICE freshmen group who have the potential to do great things. They will establish an identity for themselves as they travel down the road. We'll let their accomplishments speak for themselves and see where they shake out in the grand scheme of things in Brossart basketball annals.

Tabbing them "the strongest" Brossart freshmen group ever at this stage of their development, is not only highly speculative but also quite disrespectful to the '05's, '07's, and even our present 12's, who were 10th Region Champs back in 2009.

TOG - You will certainly know better than me, but inmy time it does not seem like Coach L has many freshman who play up. I think Luke Maile may have been the only one for some time. l.

The frosh that I can recall that played strictly JV were Nesto, Jacobs, Bovard, and Maile.

So, are any of the current frosh, at the same level? If so, that would be a good thing for the Colonel program.

Dressman I have been told is on the JV roster.

Note I said: "Mr Radcliff has indeed impressed me and I don't think you will see him getting many minutes playing Frosh basketball as the season moves forward".

To say that Dressman/Radcliff will become a "Nesto, Jacobs, Bovard, and or Maile" is a bit early in their lives but they are looking very good in practice!

Agree!!! Way too much hype - way too soon.

The '07s were amazing all four years that we were privileged to have them. They also finished ranked Number One in Northern Kentucky their senior season.

Let's just keep it that this is a VERY NICE freshmen group who have the potential to do great things. They will establish an identity for themselves as they travel down the road. We'll let their accomplishments speak for themselves and see where they shake out in the grand scheme of things in Brossart basketball annals.

Tabbing them "the strongest" Brossart freshmen group ever at this stage of their development, is not only highly speculative but also quite disrespectful to the '05's, '07's, and even our present 12's, who were 10th Region Champs back in 2009.

ABSOLUTELY - Look hard it's gotta be in there somewhere - the key phrase should have been "POTENTIAL".

Add Drew Barker/Conner to your list. He will be playing JV and I'm going to assume he will dress varsity and get some minutes as the year goes on.

You're absolutely correct about Barker. He may even should have been included in my top 5.

Dressman I have been told is on the JV roster.

Note I said: "Mr Radcliff has indeed impressed me and I don't think you will see him getting many minutes playing Frosh basketball as the season moves forward".

To say that Dressman/Radcliff will become a "Nesto, Jacobs, Bovard, and or Maile" is a bit early in their lives but they are looking very good in practice!

TOG - Thanks. I heard Dressman is playing JV, but is he dressing Frosh as well? I did not hear on that. I understood your comment, and was commenting more on accountant's statement that two other young men are dressing JV. I would be very surprised if three frosh dress JV this early in the season for the Colonels. If so, our future looks bright!