Johnson Central 41 Covington Catholic 28

The O line is JC's strength.

Jude is a stud but he can't do it alone, so the O line must have played one heck of a good game. And frankly, earlier in the year when I saw them play they were at best average. So they've obviously improved considerably. Congrats to them.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, got that. So common theme? Schemes and tackling. Well that falls on the coaches. Not necessary the head coach though.

If one or two kids can't tackle, that is those kids. If the whole team can't tackle that is another matter entirely. CovCath will lose it's safeties and CB's to graduation, but doesn't get hit too hard on the D line or LB's. So if you are getting pretty much the same kids back next year, someone has to teach to tackle or change the scheme to put them in a position to tackle.

One thing I noticed Friday was that our ends were taking two steps up field on every snap. This created huge seams that Jude exploited all night. It's one thing to maintain contain on the ends, and yet another give up the off-tackle like we did. We would have been better off stringing plays out to the sideline and letting our pursuit catch up.

Missing Ritter and Gregory was definately a factor. How does 155 yards on 23 carries for a average of 6.73 yards per carry a limited ability to run the ball? I felt the Colonels had a great balance of run and pass(210yard). However; not enough plays and time of possession in the second half was the killer.

To me the bottom line was:

1) Not scoring (TD or FG) on the last drive of the 1st half.

2) Losing the onsides kick at the beginning of the 2d half.

3) Losing Ritter

CovCath could have overcome one or two of these, but all three? Nope.

Going up two scores would have been huge. A long drive for CovCath to open the 2d half would have been huge.