Johnson Central 41 Covington Catholic 28

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Golden Eagles for beating a much improved CovCath team. Jude running for over 400 yards against Cov Cath is pretty impressive even if the Colonels run defense is very weak.

Next week the Highland Defense better come prepared to play.

CCH up 21 - 14 late in the 2nd qtr. Driving. Pass dropped in the end zone followed by a supposedly missed FG. So a 10-14 point lead at half is a 7 point lead.

Matney calls a gutsy onside kick to start the half and JC recovers and scored. That seemed to change the game completely to the side of JC even though it only tied it up.

Defense obviously struggled stopping Jude. It's not like JC tried to fake CCH out. Jude was getting the ball every play. Tough kid.

Great pressure in the 2nd half by the JC D hurt the CCH offense. A few dropped passes didn't help .

Give all the credit to Coach Matney(that's tough to type) and the boys of JC.

Not bad for a Junior. If I'm correct that puts him at around 5,200 for his career. If he could match this pace next year(VERY BIG IF) then he could break the all-time yards rushing mark for KY (8,224). That is if my math is correct?

With a good game (130+) next week he could push ahead of the mark for #2 rushing yards for a season ahead of Shaun Alexander (3,166).

If they could pull off the upset of Highlands he could concievably break the single season mark of 3,361 in the next game. And yes I would consider beating Highlands an upset even though I am a JC fan and firmly believe they have the ability to pull off the upset.

What type of interest is JJ getting from colleges? I hear he's a good wrestler as well.

Not really a surprise. I think most figured CCH would need about 40 to win and when they had their chance at the end of the 1st to put one in and didn't that was a dagger.

I heard Paul Ritter was ejected early in the game due to a personal foul? That is one of CCH's 2 best defensive players...anybody with specifics please P.M me.

Should be a great game next week.

N

I heard Paul Ritter was ejected early in the game due to a personal foul? That is one of CCH's 2 best defensive players...anybody with specifics please P.M me.

Should be a great game next week.

I'm going to need to see the tape to see if the ejection was warranted.

Dixie is better than Covcath and honestly your Eagles got lucky that you saw the Blue Colonels in round 2 and not the Red Colonels.

Pike would've picked the JC defense apart tonight and they also have a much better defense. You guys will see them eventually as long as your coach doesn't try to run from Highlands to 5A.

Gee Walter, the score of the regular season game didn't quite show that Dixie was better than CovCath now did it? Seems the reason Dixie was the #3 seed and CovCath was the #2 seed was that game that CovCath won.

Losing Ritter probably cost CCH one, maybe two TD's. He is by far their best defensive player IMO (yes, better than Timmerman). He is an emotional player and it sounds like he went too far. I can not remember the last time I saw a player ejected from a game so I hope it was a clear call for ejection. You hate to see that happen in any game, especially a tough playoff game.

J.J. Jude is the best I've seen since we've been on the air. That being said, we gave up 450 yards rushing to a guy and still should have won the game. Two huge missing pieces not yet talked about; the ankle injury to Gabe Gray limited their ability to run the ball as he had a monster game last year, and the broken arm suffered by Dan Gregory last week, our leading tackler. The Colonels had to throw the ball more and the more they did the better JC got defending it. All that being said, this came down to a few dropped passes and the onside kick. Until the onside kick, the biggest play of the game was Jude's fumble on their first drive as it gave CovCath an extra posession. The intentional grounding on our own 3 yard line on the last drive sealed the deal, having to go for it on 4th and 22, and another dropped pass or they would have converted on that. Thanks to the JC support staff, the best in the business. The hospitality towards us was top shelf. There is nothing I'd like more than to have the opportunity to repay you at our place some day. The fact that J.J. Jude is a junior puts even more pressure on the Colonels to beat Highlands next year and secure the #1 seed and make the Eagles travel north on a Saturday morning. Either that or find another year of eligibility for Sam Flynn. I can't believe I'm awake.

Sounds like JC wore down the CC defense, which was my prediction...

I'm don't believe they wore down the CCH D. Heck, Jude was just too good. How can the D get worn down when a)JC didn't have many long drives and b)CCH offense was on the field a lot which means the D was resting?

The o-line of JC did a great job of creating gap and Jude exploded through it.