Remember Artie Steinmetz from CovCath.

uk#1fan

I just saw this article in the Lexington Herald about Artie he was great guy and a friend. First time I met him he was a Freshman in highschool and he was built like Brock Lesnar.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/10/28/1498249/latest-mistake-in-judgment-sparks.html

I ran into him at Bilbo's over the summer of '96 a few times. He was a really cool dude. I would not have suspected that he was such a widely recruited player if I didn't know his name and he wasn't enormous. Sad to see.

• 1 year later...

Artie died 13 years ago today. I wasn't particularly a good friend to Artie, but he was a good friend to every single person he met. I played football a couple of years behind him, and remember watching him in awe on a day-to-day basis...in school, in the waitroom, on the practice field, in the locker room, and on the game field. Many folks called him a gentle giant. I can tell you first hand from a few hits I took from him on the practice field (one in particular that left me literally seeing green for a few minutes) that Big Art was no gentle giant, but he certainly had a gentle personality. After all, after every single game, Artie's first move, before talking to reporters, and before talking to scouts, was to go find his mom in the crowd and give her a hug. Everyone who knew Artie knew what it was to smile and to laugh because of him. He was a great guy, and I can't help but spend some time on this day every year wishing he was still around.