Bishop Brossart 34 Eminence 13

StickerMann

According to some of the sites Brossart will be moved up to 2A is that true?

If it is the case Brossart will have a new hurdle in its way. If they are now in district with NewCath, Holy Cross, Newport and Lloyd, they will have to take another leap to stay moving in positive direction. I think the Holy Cross game later this year will be an interesting measuring stick for the Mustangs.

No, we will remain in 1-A. We did dodge that bullet, but were almost the smallest school in 2A.

We are not ready for 2A and perhaps not ready for Holy Cross, although we welcome the challenge. The Holy Cross game is a product of the same circumstances that brought us the Betsy Layne, Trimble County, and Eminence games - finding someone to fill our our schedule.

The Holy Cross and Beechwood games should point out to us just where we are and how far (or near) we have to go to run with the small-school big dogs.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beechwood yes...Holy Cross is not a small school big dog in football yet.........

Agreed, but the way they have played Beechwood the past two years, I think it is great measuring stick for Brossart. I think it is a great game for Brossart to play. It's a quality local 2a school, who has athletes that Brossart can/should be able to compete with. The depth issue, I'm not sure Brossart can compete with yet, but other than that its a great barometer for the Mustang program.

Indeed the talent is cyclical.

A few years back we had a run of talent go through Brossart High School who accomplished great things on the hardwood, that could have put us on the football map. Unfortunately, we didn't have football at the time and probably missed out on a huge opportunity to become a football power in NoKy. I firmly believe that if we had started football in 2002 that the Class of 05 - McDole, Anderson, McCarthy, Schenk, Smith, Reilly, Cooper, etc and 07 - Cooper, Mutsch Kramer, Niemeyer, Uebel, Kidney, Lloyd, Rebholz, etc., could have set the stage for future years and that success would have bred success and we would presently be among the top small school dogs in NoKy. Our formative years through present might have been considered a down cycle, but I also think some players who went to NCC and Campbell County would probably be Mustangs, which might have offset the "down cycle."

When I suggested this on a short-lived chat site on our sports website, I was blown away by dissenters, stating that it took years to build a football program, and regardless of the talent base we would have struggled to be successful. To this I say Horse-Hockey! With our present coaching staff in place and the 05s and the 07s as a nucleus I think our football program would have jump-started us and we would have been off and running.

We are very happy with where we are today, but were forced to indeed build the program from the bottom up. We seem to have endured our growing pains and have established oursleves as an up-and-coming football program. We have a very nice freshmen group that just might put us over the top in a few years and allow us to look the small-school big dogs in the eye. That is yet to be seen, but hindsight being 20-20, I'd really like to glimpse what our football program might be like today, and what hardware might be in our trophy case, had we had the foresight to get into football back at the turn of the century.

You are right about that Mustang. BBHS did miss a golden opportunity to get their Football program started off with a bang. The guys you mentioned were just the tip of the ice berg, I could name several other guys in those classes who would have been pretty good football players. Not to mention Brossart would have most likely taken a large number of the St. Joes kids that ended up going to NCC just because they had Football. Hindsight in 20/20 and I am sure they would do it differently if they had the chance. I think they are doing just fine and progressing just how people would have wanted them too. Not that the talent coming into Brossart isn't good but those were exceptional years and you can't count on that year in and year out until they get much larger. They need to just keep doing what they are doing and I have no doubt they will be a football power in NKY in the near future.

No, we will remain in 1-A. We did dodge that bullet, but were almost the smallest school in 2A.

We are not ready for 2A and perhaps not ready for Holy Cross, although we welcome the challenge. The Holy Cross game is a product of the same circumstances that brought us the Betsy Layne, Trimble County, and Eminence games - finding someone to fill our our schedule.

The Holy Cross and Beechwood games should point out to us just where we are and how far (or near) we have to go to run with the small-school big dogs.

I honestly don't think there should even be much talk about getting to where Beechwood, or even Holy Cross is. Until Brossart can consistently stay at the level where teams like Bellevue and Ludlow are at. Those are two teams in district that they still have yet to ever beat, so I don't see any reason to be talking about a team like Beechwood until you can beat the teams that have been the 2 and 3 seeds the last two years. Especially since Brossart started off great last year, just to lose to Ludlow 35 to 14 and to Bellevue pretty good too. Its a step at a time, and they still haven't gotten over that step yet, before they try to take that giant leap at Beechwood.

I agree. I believe they will finish at least third, if not second in their division. I think that they are much better than both Dayton and Ludlow and should have no problems with W.V. The Belview game will be close.

Have you seen Ludlow play? I mean your getting ahead of yourself here. Brossart has never beat Ludlow or Bellevue. Actually Brossart got beat pretty good by both teams last year. So until they beat them, I don't see how anyone could say Brossart is much better. Also Walton is much better than you think, IMO from what Walton has shown so far. I would take Walton over Brossart at this point.

Brossart has a TON of respect for every district team on our schedule including Walton-Verona who took a very good Carroll County team to the wire on Friday night.

We have won exactly two district games in our brief history and have to play them one at a time, respecting every team that remains on our schedule.

The first four wins were good wins for the Brossart program. We have come strides. Betsy Layne has won a pair of games since we saw them in Eastern Kentucky a few weeks back, Caverna posted a win this weekend, and Eminence defeated us 54-0 two years ago.

Until we earn bragging rights on the gridiron, talk of "having no problem" with anybody is totally unfounded and I'm sure that statement didn't come from anyone close to our program. I'm sure that we are right in our district opponent's cross-hairs, who might be viewing us as being a tad bit cocky. Believe me that is not the attitude of the team or the coaching staff.

We will do our very best to win each and every game on our schedule for the remainder of the season. Just how well we compete in our quest to earn a nice 1-A seed is yet to be seen. As previous posters have stated, there are a lot of questions to be answered. I like what I've seen so far and feel good about our chances in a few of our upcoming games, however, until we get it done on the field, or get knocked off, we need to maintain a low profile and keep getting better.

An old basketball quote presently echoes in my mind - "The Day You Are Satisfied That You Have Played Your Best Game, You Probably Have!"

We need to remain healthy, happy, and hungry as we approach our district schedule and certainly don't need to provide our opponents with locker room bulletin board material.

Great post!

Just so everyone knows I am in no way part of the Brossart community. I have seen every team in 1 and 2a play with the exception of Walton, so I am sorry for making the comment about Walton. What I am sure of is that Ludlow and Dayton are having down years in 1a. This is not a stab at the programs; it is just how it works in 1a football. There are going to be down years. Now I do believe that Brossart is going to have a great year in 1a. You can stab at who they are playing, but the fact is that they are a new program that is on the up and up, just like I hear Walton is.

As far as being an “armchair observer” I beg to differ, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. And truly that’s all this is, is a bunch of grown men’s opinions about a game. I mean no disrespect to anyone in what I say. I wish everyone good luck.

According to the numbers I saw from the KHSAA, Brossart is 2A. I dont think there is anyway around it. Sorry.

It has to do with schools who are in fact 1A, petitioning to play in 2A, freeing up additional spots in 1A - or something like that.

I honestly don't think there should even be much talk about getting to where Beechwood, or even Holy Cross is. Until Brossart can consistently stay at the level where teams like Bellevue and Ludlow are at. Those are two teams in district that they still have yet to ever beat, so I don't see any reason to be talking about a team like Beechwood until you can beat the teams that have been the 2 and 3 seeds the last two years. Especially since Brossart started off great last year, just to lose to Ludlow 35 to 14 and to Bellevue pretty good too. Its a step at a time, and they still haven't gotten over that step yet, before they try to take that giant leap at Beechwood.

TRUE!

It has to do with schools who are in fact 1A, petitioning to play in 2A, freeing up additional spots in 1A - or something like that.

That makes sense. Brossart was the smallest school in 2A on a list I saw in another thread. It was also stated in that thread that Russellville wanted to move up to 2A because of geography issues so that would drop Brossart to 1A. As a Beechwood fan, I am glad to see it. I think Brossart is developing a solid program and it will be nice to have more good competition in 1A.