BYU - About to Become the Notre Dame of the West?

UKMustangFan

I think Notre Dame is fine for right now. But I do think the higher-ups in South Bend recognize that the landscape is changing and they need to be prepared. That's why they were at least open for discussion with the Big Ten. I don't think the Irish want to find themselves in a situation where there are four 16-team conferences and they aren't involved in any of them. But since the summer expansion really wasn't much more than a blip for right now, Notre Dame can afford to remain independent.

If we end up with 4 16 team super conferences, than ND will have to be in one of those 4, because those 4 conferences, whomever they maybe will probably bring an end to the NCAA as we know it now.

If we end up with 4 16 team super conferences, than ND will have to be in one of those 4, because those 4 conferences, whomever they maybe will probably bring an end to the NCAA as we know it now.

That's what I was saying. Notre Dame may well eventually have to deal with that situation (and trust me, all four conference would happily have the Irish), but they don't have to just yet.

They are no longer the ND everyone fears.

Look for them to be forced into a conference when the BCS contract expires.

They may have to. They don't have to yet is all I'm saying. I think the 16 team conferences are the only thing that would force their hand and that seems to be at least a few years away.

Here's a quote from an SI.com article today.

BYU now gets to play the role already played this summer by Texas and Notre Dame, albeit on a smaller scale. Do the Cougars go independent -- with all the inherent scheduling risks that choice entails -- and potentially reap the financial rewards? Or do they stick it out with the MWC and hope the BCS bestows an at-large bid upon the conference for 2012 and 2013? Chances are, the league will not meet the criteria set forth by the BCS to attain AQ status. (It bears noting that, at the moment, neither would the ACC or Big Ten, but those two are contractually bound to receive an automatic bid.)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/08/19/wac-mwc/index.html?eref=sihp

The bold part wowed me. To me, that explains everything you need to know about the unfairness of the current BCS system.