BYU - About to Become the Notre Dame of the West?

UKMustangFan

National TV deal? No.

National relevance? No.

BCS exemption? No.

Watered down schedule? Sure.

My thoughts exactly. I think they'd be foolish to do this. What kind of follwing do they have? Do they have a huge fanbase that is going to get them on television every week and lead to a huge TV deal? Sure they get a bigger pay day IF they get to the BCS but that's pretty hard to do for a school like that. Trying to become another Notre Dame is crazy for them IMO.

According to the article they're currently in talks with ESPN about a TV deal.

They aren't jumping the SEC, ACC or Big East in the ESPN pecking order so a TV deal wouldn't hold anything close to the same power ND has with NBC...

They aren't jumping the SEC, ACC or Big East in the ESPN pecking order so a TV deal wouldn't hold anything close to the same power ND has with NBC...

But it would still be their own individual deal, so they'd be better off than with what they have now, wouldn't they?

ND's life with out a conference is on life support.

I think Notre Dame is fine for right now. But I do think the higher-ups in South Bend recognize that the landscape is changing and they need to be prepared. That's why they were at least open for discussion with the Big Ten. I don't think the Irish want to find themselves in a situation where there are four 16-team conferences and they aren't involved in any of them. But since the summer expansion really wasn't much more than a blip for right now, Notre Dame can afford to remain independent.