Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

TMZ Reporting NCAA Investigation in UK

Featured Replies

  • Replies 97
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually I disagree with that unfortunately. Name me one thing TMZ has been wrong about? They are usually the first to break everything and rarely if ever wrong.

Weren't they the first one to announce Michael Jackson's death?

Weren't they the first one to announce Michael Jackson's death?

 

I believe so. I seem to recall every media outlet starting off by saying "TMZ is reporting that Michael Jackson has died but we have yet to confirm that."

Clearly we are gonna have to start wiretapping 5 star players to hear what they say when nobody is around.

I think all of the coaches know exactly what is going on with these kids. As much money that's poured into these programs for the coaches to not know is a disservice to their employer. Not to mention, WWW, is allegedly one of the most powerful men in all of basketball. No way he doesn't know who these kids are talking to. If the investigation turns up proof I don't see how Cal can get away with saying "I didn't know". Like you said, hopefully if any evidence of wrong doing shows up I hope you get the Duke treatment but Cal has to be held accountable at some point. This would be school number 3.

 

So this statement begs the question: did Coach K know what Piggie and Maggette were up to?

I'll go on the record as saying it now so it doesn't come across as denial- I don't care if you take away the entire 2009-2010 season...you can't take away my memories.

 

Bernie Madoff says the same thing!

So this statement begs the question: did Coach K know what Piggie and Maggette were up to?

 

I am quite sure he did. If he truly didn't then I am glad he has made better judgment calls in the future. I don't see how any coach can spend as much time and money learning EVERYTHING they need to know about these kids but yet they don't know anything about agents/hangers on/shady people around the recruit when Big Brother comes calling. I don't believe that. Not even Coach K. He had to have known all about Myron Piggie and everything that came with him. Also, keep in mind, Duke was one of John Wall's final choices of schools. K had to have known all about Clifton as well. Duke is not immune to the gray areas of college basketball. I'm not naive.

Seems to me that all of these top players are surrounded by "piranhas". It's like a feeding frenzy. The coaches are in tremendous competition to sign these top players, and the agents are in a cut throat business to also sign these top players. It's a horrible formula that leads to breaking the rules. Not sure what can be done to stop it. I think the kid from Duke (Maggette) was also involved with an agent, but no penalties were ever leveled against Duke or Coack K. Hopefully, UK will get the same treatment that Duke received if this investigation proves to have any merit.

 

Do coaches always have knowledge of agent relationships with players? I don't think they do. Just my opinion.

:thumb:

 

I don't think any school should be punished if they did not do anything wrong! Until there is some type of law passed that states agents cannot talk to potential college players, these types of people will try and surround these kids! Would or could any law be passed? Not sure, but clearly these guys do not care about the kids! They only act like they do so they can get rich too!

Rules are rules and they must be followed no matter how ridiculous they are. In my opinion, this is a ridiculous rule.

 

I have no problem with any player, at any school, in any sport trying to get an idea of what type of money they could make if the entered the draft. Excepting gifts from an agent ? Sure. Talking over the phone with one, I just can't see that being punishable. Colleges hold job fairs all the time for students to meet potential employers, I don't see much of a difference.

 

I just can't see how a coach can control these issues. They're coaches, not nannies.

 

Also, in what ways could the NCAA prove any wrong doing ? It's not a criminal case so I don't think they could demand cell bills and such from the players in question.

 

At some point we have to realize that the one and done rule is hurting the game and eliminate the rule or find a way to hold the players accountable for the infractions they committed even if they do not attend school any longer.

Why does the NCAA have this rule to begin with? What's the big deal if an agent does talk to a kid as long as he doesn't write him a check or give him gifts. No harm done, even if they promise each other the moon and stars, as long as no money changes hands. The NCAA has to have rules, I understand that, but they have a few rules that are down right unnecessary.

And another thing, if they dig deep enough into every high profile program who has future NBA players they will discover that everyone of them has at least one kid that has rubbed elbows with an agent somewhere in the past. UK is not the Lone Ranger here.

Why does the NCAA have this rule to begin with? What's the big deal if an agent does talk to a kid as long as he doesn't write him a check or give him gifts. No harm done, even if they promise each other the moon and stars, as long as no money changes hands. The NCAA has to have rules, I understand that, but they have a few rules that are down right unnecessary.

And another thing, if they dig deep enough into every high profile program who has future NBA players they will discover that everyone of them has at least one kid that has rubbed elbows with an agent somewhere in the past. UK is not the Lone Ranger here.

 

So this is a guy John has known for quite sometime, probably someone John trust. After John leaves UK he is approached by Reebok for a multi million dollar deal and he goes back and ask this friend for help. A 19 year old kid looking for financial advice on a multi million dollar deal, that sure is odd.

 

But the NCAA wants to make sure there was no verbal agreement between them at any point in time he was at UK? What if a realtor or a car salesman gave John their card and said "if you ever make any money someday call me." Will John also get in trouble for this?

Why does the NCAA have this rule to begin with? What's the big deal if an agent does talk to a kid as long as he doesn't write him a check or give him gifts. No harm done, even if they promise each other the moon and stars, as long as no money changes hands. The NCAA has to have rules, I understand that, but they have a few rules that are down right unnecessary.

And another thing, if they dig deep enough into every high profile program who has future NBA players they will discover that everyone of them has at least one kid that has rubbed elbows with an agent somewhere in the past. UK is not the Lone Ranger here.

 

You may be right here Professor, but face it this kind of scrutiny comes with hiring a coach like Cal. Here is what you get-high profile recruits, excellent regular seasons, and then NCAA scrutiny. As others have posted-even on this thread-UK was at a point where it was willing to accept that after the failures of BCG.

Sure doesn't sound good.

This is all going to end badly for UK.

 

Maybe not this time, but it will eventually.

Not shocked at all.

Kentucky will be in trouble before long with this coach.

The nation knows how this will play out.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.