July 5, 201016 yr I guess Duke players drive 1983 Chevy Chevette's, right? I am sure they are equipped with A/C and power locks. Let's keep it real PP. I have personally witnessed Duke players leaving practice. Among the cars used were Mercedes, Lincoln, & Lexus.
July 5, 201016 yr I have personally witnessed Duke players leaving practice. Among the cars used were Mercedes, Lincoln, & Lexus. Yeah, but everybody knows Duke kids are all rich?? :D
July 5, 201016 yr Last time I checked, Cal's recruiting has been ranked no. 1 for two years in a row and he's only been there for two years. He has always been a great recruiter, but being at UK has make it even easier to get the top talent in the country. Guarantee you he gets the trifecta and beyond. I am not worried at all. His outstanding recruiting will lead to a championship, not if, but when. The guy is a recruiting guru. I see the day coming when he will have to turn away 5 star players, due to lack of roster space. Having a number 1 recruiting class means your on top?
July 5, 201016 yr Okay, so now you are saying that once an athlete becomes a member of a school team that there isn't someone somewhere who is the eyes for the coach/program? I just cannot believe that these coaches/AD's/Presidents would trust ANY kid to make all of the right decisions that are so potentially damaging to the University. Can you watch a kid 24/7? No? But do they have the ability to find out if the kid is using drugs/drinking too much/partying/abusing his girlfriend? Yes. These same kids are savvy enough to hide whether or not they are talking to an agent? You are giving the kids way too much credit and letting the coaches off way too easy. In 1996, UK players from humble beginnings were driving Isuzu Rodeos and Ford Explorers during the season. After UK won the championship the Explorers and Rodeos became Mustang convertibles and then half the team went pro. We knew who wasn't coming back as soon as they came home with the trophy. You telling me Rick didn't know about the Rodeos and Explorers and that they wouldn't instantly become Mustang convertibles when the season was over when everyone else on campus knew? Come on, son. It's no secret what is going on. How can 25,000 students know and see but 1 coach can't? Yes, Kids are savvy as you stated, it would be impossible to watch every student athlete all the times, and who they are talking to and where they are at 24/7. Plus, it's also the agents that are savvy.
July 5, 201016 yr They know. The coaches know who these boys are talking to and who they have talked to. If they don't know, they need to do a better job of policing these boys. How can you police them 4 years before they ever play for you?
July 5, 201016 yr Whether Kentucky is being investigated or not, the biggest problem is being overlooked. This problem isn't exclusive to one & done players & John Calipari. It's a flaw with the system, and something needs to be done. I don't claim to have any ideas on how to fix it, much less any actual answers. But it's brutally obvious that something is wrong with the system. Whether it's agents, paying (or not paying) college athletes, or the NBA's 1 year rule...it needs to be improved.
July 5, 201016 yr I have personally witnessed Duke players leaving practice. Among the cars used were Mercedes, Lincoln, & Lexus. If I am Coach K, I am making sure all those car were purchased legally. Simple process.
July 5, 201016 yr How can you police them 4 years before they ever play for you? I would find a way. With the amount of money these schools have for basketball programs, I would find a way. Getting info on people is really not that hard if you want the info that bad. Not to mention, legitimate people with connections don't just sprout up unnoticed. These coaches know who the shady elements of the game are. Kind of like that post in a thread in the basketball forum about Roshown McLeod.
July 5, 201016 yr Author If I am Coach K, I am making sure all those car were purchased legally. Simple process. How do you know Pitino didn't also check that out? Or are you assuming that he didn't. Just because a kid is driving a nice ride doesn't mean anything shady is going on. Didn't Patterson's parents get him a nice ride? With all of their education paid for, I would think it would be very easy for many of these kids to have nice rides.
July 5, 201016 yr How do you know Pitino didn't also check that out? Or are you assuming that he didn't. Just because a kid is driving a nice ride doesn't mean anything shady is going on. Didn't Patterson's parents get him a nice ride? With all of their education paid for, I would think it would be very easy for many of these kids to have nice rides. He probably did. UK never got in trouble. Just using an example that I was hoping you guys could relate to the point I am trying to get across. I have no idea if those players parents could afford those cars, but in my heart of hearts I am quite sure their parents couldn't or they were driving a "loaner". Either way, UK never got into trouble. Just stating that I would hope Pitino would be on the up and up or they wouldn't have been driving those cars. I am almost sure he knew about the cars. Be shocked if he didn't. Which is my whole point. Know what your boys are doing......
July 5, 201016 yr Last I checked, Duke was on top. You have to win something before you can proclaim to "be on top." :thumb: The fact that people with no dog in the fight will go out of there way to tell you that you are not on top must mean that they are close :lol::lol::lol: Haters don't come out to hate on the bottom of the pack.
July 5, 201016 yr If I am Coach K, I am making sure all those car were purchased legally. Simple process. I agree that the coaches are ultimately responsible for what the kids do...but I think you are making it seem way easier to keep up with them than it really is. So you check to see who is paying for the car...car is in mom and pop's name and the check written every monthis from mom and pop's checking account. That doesn't mean they are paying for it - money could be coming from anywhere. And, how do you plan on getting those records? I think you have it correct that the coaches have to be responsible, but you are way oversimplifying the process.
July 6, 201016 yr If I am Coach K, I am making sure all those car were purchased legally. Simple process. With current identity theft up, do you think a bank just gives out the info to a college coach?
July 6, 201016 yr I agree that the coaches are ultimately responsible for what the kids do...but I think you are making it seem way easier to keep up with them than it really is. So you check to see who is paying for the car...car is in mom and pop's name and the check written every monthis from mom and pop's checking account. That doesn't mean they are paying for it - money could be coming from anywhere. And, how do you plan on getting those records? I think you have it correct that the coaches have to be responsible, but you are way oversimplifying the process. I could be. You may be right. I am coming from the perspective I would take. Anything that comes across my radar I am investigating. I think a lot of these incidents that we find out about later come across the radar a long time before the incident is investigated. I think coaches are turning a blind eye when something fishy comes across the radar. I wouldn't. Pete Carroll is the perfect example.
July 6, 201016 yr With current identity theft up, do you think a bank just gives out the info to a college coach? A local bank? Probably. I am sure Whitaker Bank would take care of anything Calipari needed.:lol:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.