July 5, 201016 yr There is NO way that you can watch every kid 24/7 that you are recruiting, even if you have them signed and on campus, youy cannot possibly watch someone 24/7. Okay, so now you are saying that once an athlete becomes a member of a school team that there isn't someone somewhere who is the eyes for the coach/program? I just cannot believe that these coaches/AD's/Presidents would trust ANY kid to make all of the right decisions that are so potentially damaging to the University. Can you watch a kid 24/7? No? But do they have the ability to find out if the kid is using drugs/drinking too much/partying/abusing his girlfriend? Yes. These same kids are savvy enough to hide whether or not they are talking to an agent? You are giving the kids way too much credit and letting the coaches off way too easy. In 1996, UK players from humble beginnings were driving Isuzu Rodeos and Ford Explorers during the season. After UK won the championship the Explorers and Rodeos became Mustang convertibles and then half the team went pro. We knew who wasn't coming back as soon as they came home with the trophy. You telling me Rick didn't know about the Rodeos and Explorers and that they wouldn't instantly become Mustang convertibles when the season was over when everyone else on campus knew? Come on, son. It's no secret what is going on. How can 25,000 students know and see but 1 coach can't? Edited July 5, 201016 yr by PurplePride92
July 5, 201016 yr Before they are ever recruited or even know who they are? Of course they don't. You really think that a coach and/or school should be held responsible if they sign a player who made a deal with an agent and they didn't know about it? Coaches don't even know who most of these kids are before they hit their junior year. It's just silly. How can they not know? I tell you what, if these coaches at major D-1 schools aren't that in tune with their recruit and don't know every possible thing there is to know about a recruit then I missed my calling. I should have been a recruiting consultant. Let me go recruit a kid. I'll know his schedule from his freshman year. I'll find out why he didn't get along with his rec league coach in the 5th grade. I'll find out why his dad was ejected from an AAU tournament in the 7th grade. I'll know his favorite dinner, his favorite breakfast, the day he got his first kiss, the day he began shaving, his most embarrassing moment, how he puts his socks on, his first pets name, whether he likes Nike's, Adidas, Reebok or Converse, his favorite teacher, his favorite Justin Beiber song, etc, etc. Finding out who sent him a text at 5:17 on March 24th after a 3 hour practice would be way too easy for me to find out. And I am just a mechanic at a glass factory.
July 5, 201016 yr For the most part yes. It was written in a very vague fashion as to leave a lot open for interpretation... I noticed this on Friday when Maggard pointed it out on facebook/twitter. TMZ used the words "aggressively looking", not investigated. Is that what you are getting at or is the NCAA not even "aggressively looking"? To say investigated is libelous, correct? To say "aggressively looking" implies that they have a source close to the NCAA who is saying in a round about way that there are some raised eyebrows concerning the UK program, but no official investigation has been requested or began? Am I close?
July 5, 201016 yr No, but I would say about the eighth grade for a phenom. Then, when a kid plays in three different states (OJ Mayo) for high school ball-that should raise some red flags. It certainly did for high school coaches, or are we to believe the college coaches aren't as intelligent as the high school coaches? You are making it too complicated. The high caliber kids love the attention and the extra's, and the best coaches know how to make it happen (see Reggie Bush, USC, and Coach Carroll). Then the coach flees and the institution is the place that gets in trouble. Exactly. But the coaches "didn't know" so it's not their fault.
July 5, 201016 yr Author Love how TMZ has changed their headline since they first broke the story. They have lost all credibility with me. As a life long UK fan, and a huge Cal fan, I have come to the following realizations: 1. Every year Cal will be rumored that he is leaving for the NBA. 2. Every year Cal/UK will be "investigated" by the NCAA. It goes with the territory when people want to knock you down when you are on top.
July 5, 201016 yr Okay, so now you are saying that once an athlete becomes a member of a school team that there isn't someone somewhere who is the eyes for the coach/program? I just cannot believe that these coaches/AD's/Presidents would trust ANY kid to make all of the right decisions that are so potentially damaging to the University. Can you watch a kid 24/7? No? But do they have the ability to find out if the kid is using drugs/drinking too much/partying/abusing his girlfriend? Yes. These same kids are savvy enough to hide whether or not they are talking to an agent? You are giving the kids way too much credit and letting the coaches off way too easy. In 1996, UK players from humble beginnings were driving Isuzu Rodeos and Ford Explorers during the season. After UK won the championship the Explorers and Rodeos became Mustang convertibles and then half the team went pro. We knew who wasn't coming back as soon as they came home with the trophy. You telling me Rick didn't know about the Rodeos and Explorers and that they wouldn't instantly become Mustang convertibles when the season was over when everyone else on campus knew? Come on, son. It's no secret what is going on. How can 25,000 students know and see but 1 coach can't? Your example makes vague sense, if these are actually true happenings?? However, there's a HUGE difference in the situation you outlined above and what happens at the high school and AAU circuit levels, BEFORE a kid gets to a given university? If a kid's already in school, and shows a sudden increase in disposable income, that's one thing; but knowing who talked to who, and who promised who what in high school or AAU, is asking way too much of any university? My kid got promised the new glove he wanted once if he pitched a shutout; who gets reprimanded--Me, the coach, team sponsor, the league, his uncle, Dick's Sporting Goods, the newspaper that published the ad for the glove, Nike, etc?????
July 5, 201016 yr Author In 1996, UK players from humble beginnings were driving Isuzu Rodeos and Ford Explorers during the season. After UK won the championship the Explorers and Rodeos became Mustang convertibles and then half the team went pro. We knew who wasn't coming back as soon as they came home with the trophy. You telling me Rick didn't know about the Rodeos and Explorers and that they wouldn't instantly become Mustang convertibles when the season was over when everyone else on campus knew? Come on, son. It's no secret what is going on. How can 25,000 students know and see but 1 coach can't? I guess Duke players drive 1983 Chevy Chevette's, right? I am sure they are equipped with A/C and power locks. Let's keep it real PP.
July 5, 201016 yr Love how TMZ has changed their headline since they first broke the story. They have lost all credibility with me. As a life long UK fan, and a huge Cal fan, I have come to the following realizations: 1. Every year Cal will be rumored that he is leaving for the NBA. 2. Every year Cal/UK will be "investigated" by the NCAA. It goes with the territory when people want to knock you down when you are on top. Neither UK nor Cal are on top.
July 5, 201016 yr Love how TMZ has changed their headline since they first broke the story. They have lost all credibility with me. As a life long UK fan, and a huge Cal fan, I have come to the following realizations: 1. Every year Cal will be rumored that he is leaving for the NBA. 2. Every year Cal/UK will be "investigated" by the NCAA. It goes with the territory when people want to knock you down when you are on top. Last I checked, Duke was on top. You have to win something before you can proclaim to "be on top." :thumb:
July 5, 201016 yr I guess Duke players drive 1983 Chevy Chevette's, right? I am sure they are equipped with A/C and power locks. Let's keep it real PP. That's not the point I am trying to make. I was using an example I have direct knowledge of. Sorry that I know more about things that have gone on at UK than at Duke but I bet coaches at BOTH schools know exactly what is going on with their players and if someone shady is approaching them and leading them in a direction that could jeopardize the school's eligibility. If I had direct knowledge of things that have gone on at Duke besides the Myron Piggie incident(which I said that Coach K HAD to have known about before he brought Maggette in) I'd have used them. The point I am trying to make is that you better believe that if I am coaching at a D-1 school I am keeping a very close on my team and recruits to make sure we are doing everything correct. I value my own personal integrity and I would value the schools integrity even more as they are the one's who put me in charge of maintaining that integrity. I see that some of you will take the "I'm blind, I don't see or hear anything" approach. I am taking the "I'm accountable for what goes on in my program" approach.
July 5, 201016 yr Author [/b] Neither UK nor Cal are on top. Last I checked, Duke was on top. You have to win something before you can proclaim to "be on top." :thumb: Last time I checked, Cal's recruiting has been ranked no. 1 for two years in a row and he's only been there for two years. He has always been a great recruiter, but being at UK has make it even easier to get the top talent in the country. Guarantee you he gets the trifecta and beyond. I am not worried at all. His outstanding recruiting will lead to a championship, not if, but when. The guy is a recruiting guru. I see the day coming when he will have to turn away 5 star players, due to lack of roster space.
July 5, 201016 yr Your example makes vague sense, if these are actually true happenings?? However, there's a HUGE difference in the situation you outlined above and what happens at the high school and AAU circuit levels, BEFORE a kid gets to a given university? If a kid's already in school, and shows a sudden increase in disposable income, that's one thing; but knowing who talked to who, and who promised who what in high school or AAU, is asking way too much of any university? My kid got promised the new glove he wanted once if he pitched a shutout; who gets reprimanded--Me, the coach, team sponsor, the league, his uncle, Dick's Sporting Goods, the newspaper that published the ad for the glove, Nike, etc????? That's the only true example I can think of. While vague, all I am saying is that I am sure Rick most likely knew exactly where the vehicles came from. What I am saying is that I would know and find out exactly who promised your kid the glove and then I would go to the NCAA to see if his eligibility is jeopardized based on who promised him the glove and then I would tell your kid exactly what the NCAA told me. If the NCAA tells me there are more questions concerning your kid and that his eligibility may be in question, then my school may not be the best place for you. Your kid taking a glove from someone other than you based off of his performance is the first red flag to begin with. I would hope that the entire coaching staff would then begin looking for more red flags before continuing to actively recruit the kid so your kid can be guided in the right direction. I have a hard time believing universities don't act in this manner. If they don't so be it, that would explain why the schools are punished and not the coaches.
July 5, 201016 yr How much of this is just a symptom of a broken system? You can treat the symptom by treating it (vacated wins) but it really doesn't address the root cause of the issue. Who do the agents flock to? The Top 10 recruits. Who does Cal recruit? Top 10 recruits. Mayo, Maggette, Gallon, Webber and a slew of others have been involved in scandals, all were top recruits in their respective classes. It's not just a problem with Kentucky or with Cal, it happens all over, all the time. But simply because Cal has success in landing these guys, the NCAA uses a high-powered microscope on him. I'm with you. It doesn't do Calipari any good to cheat. It's the kids that are made for the NBA, but are forced to go to school for a year that have somehting to gain by cheating. I said it about D. Rose and I continue to believe it. What good is it for Cal to knowingly cheat? The kids have a lot to gain by cheating the coaches have nothing to gain.
July 5, 201016 yr Okay, so now you are saying that once an athlete becomes a member of a school team that there isn't someone somewhere who is the eyes for the coach/program? I just cannot believe that these coaches/AD's/Presidents would trust ANY kid to make all of the right decisions that are so potentially damaging to the University. Can you watch a kid 24/7? No? But do they have the ability to find out if the kid is using drugs/drinking too much/partying/abusing his girlfriend? Yes. These same kids are savvy enough to hide whether or not they are talking to an agent? You are giving the kids way too much credit and letting the coaches off way too easy. In 1996, UK players from humble beginnings were driving Isuzu Rodeos and Ford Explorers during the season. After UK won the championship the Explorers and Rodeos became Mustang convertibles and then half the team went pro. We knew who wasn't coming back as soon as they came home with the trophy. You telling me Rick didn't know about the Rodeos and Explorers and that they wouldn't instantly become Mustang convertibles when the season was over when everyone else on campus knew? Come on, son. It's no secret what is going on. How can 25,000 students know and see but 1 coach can't? Who are you referring to? As I recall only one player from that team went pro earlier. The rest were seniors, I don't think it was a big secret that the wouldn't be back. Once their eligibility is up it doesn't matter whether or not they take money, cars, etc.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.