At the risk of giving Jim Shue a brain aneurysm

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/05/09/1257699/kentucky-poll-richie-farmer-a.html

FRANKFORT — Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear appears to have a stronghold on his party's nomination as he prepares to seek re-election next year, but at least one Republican looms as a formidable potential challenger.

If Beshear gets the nod from Democrats in 2011, he could face a stiff challenge from Republican Agriculture Commissioner Richie Farmer, one of four seniors on the 1991-92 University of Kentucky basketball team known as "The Unforgettables."

In a hypothetical Beshear-Farmer contest in November 2011, Beshear leads by 7 percentage points — 44 percent to 37 percent — with 19 percent undecided, according to the general election portion of the poll, which surveyed 600 likely voters from all political parties. That portion of the poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points

Farmer, who said in October that he is considering a run for governor, was flattered and gratified with the poll results, said spokesman Bill Clary. But he has not yet made any decision about his political plans, Clary said last week.

Farmer has "good numbers," said Danny Briscoe, a Louisville political consultant and former state Democratic Party chairman. "I think they reflect his popularity, but who knows what they would be once his views on various issues are made known."

Senate Republican Leader Robert Stivers, who, like Farmer, hails from Clay County, said the poll shows that Farmer "would be a viable candidate for governor."

"Any time you have a poll that has an unannounced candidate and he's within the margin of error, then that is very good for him," Stivers said.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would probably win in a landslide, and the voters of Kentucky deserve what they get for their stupidity in electing him. "Former UK basketball player" is not a legitimate qualification for political office, despite what folks seem to think.

He would probably win in a landslide, and the voters of Kentucky deserve what they get for their stupidity in electing him. "Former UK basketball player" is not a legitimate qualification for political office, despite what folks seem to think.

So Richie Farmer is nothing but a "Former UK basketball player"?? I suppose he's done nothing but sit on his front porch down in some holler In Clay County since his last game at UK huh? Maybe Rich should become a community organizer for a year or two before running for governor.:ohbrother:

^

He hasn't done anything to prove he can hold the highest office in the state. Of course any Republican in office will be on their knees allowing David WIlliams to continue running this state into the ground.

Those darn republicans, I wish they were extinct, then everything would be perfect.:rolleyes: Cry me a river.

So Richie Farmer is nothing but a "Former UK basketball player"?? I suppose he's done nothing but sit on his front porch down in some holler In Clay County since his last game at UK huh? Maybe Rich should become a community organizer for a year or two before running for governor.:ohbrother:

Please. Don't act like he's in the current position he's in for any reason other than the fact that he played at UK. It's a time-honored thing in this state, and part of the reason why this state is so backward and corrupt.

You're from Clay Co. Pray tell, how much farming goes on there on the mountainsides? Did Richie live up to his last name much while growing up?

Please. Don't act like he's in the current position he's in for any reason other than the fact that he played at UK. It's a time-honored thing in this state, and part of the reason why this state is so backward and corrupt.

You're from Clay Co. Pray tell, how much farming goes on there on the mountainsides? Did Richie live up to his last name much while growing up?

It's quite obvious you have some sort of personal problem with Richie. Your problem, not mine.

No farming at all here on the mountainsides of Clay County Jim. No tobacco, no corn, no hogs, no cattle, no agriculture at all, nothing but us hillbillies perched on the mountainsides drinking moonshine. Ignorance is another reason this state is so backward and corrupt.

It's quite obvious you have some sort of personal problem with Richie. Your problem, not mine.

No farming at all here on the mountainsides of Clay County Jim. No tobacco, no corn, no hogs, no cattle, no agriculture at all, nothing but us hillbillies perched on the mountainsides drinking moonshine. Ignorance is another reason this state is so backward and corrupt.

I've spent more than my fair share of time in Clay County, and not just on the main roads. Don't act like it's some agricultural powerhouse.

I have no personal problem with Richie. From my conversations I've found him to be a pretty nice guy. That doesn't mean I want him to be governor. My problem lies with the electorate who feels like "former UK player" is all the qualifications needed for elected office.

I've spent more than my fair share of time in Clay County, and not just on the main roads. Don't act like it's some agricultural powerhouse.

I have no personal problem with Richie. From my conversations I've found him to be a pretty nice guy. That doesn't mean I want him to be governor. My problem lies with the electorate who feels like "former UK player" is all the qualifications needed for elected office.

I don't recall acting like Clay County was some kind of agriculture powerhouse.

Anyway, Kentucky and US voters have proved over and over in the past that they will vote stupidly. If you think a vote for Richie would be stupid then that's just how you feel.

I can't think of many jobs that require less qualifications than holding an elected office. Can you?

I don't recall acting like Clay County was some kind of agriculture powerhouse.

Anyway, Kentucky and US voters have proved over and over in the past that they will vote stupidly. If you think a vote for Richie would be stupid then that's just how you feel.

I can't think of many jobs that require less qualifications than holding an elected office. Can you?

Flag man on a road crew

:thumb: Farmer is a jerk and an idiot. If KY elects him, they deserve him.

Can they still hold elections in Clay or did they pretty much jail the whole county after the last election?

Sadly, Richie would probably fair pretty well in a governor's race. Like Schue said, a large portion of the voting public views former UK BB hero as an relevant and positive credential for someone seeking office.

Can they still hold elections in Clay or did they pretty much jail the whole county after the last election?

Sadly, Richie would probably fair pretty well in a governor's race. Like Schue said, a large portion of the voting public views former UK BB hero as an relevant and positive credential for someone seeking office.

I wish they would choose a different UK BB player than he. I really don't like the man.