Major DI Scholarships - Hard to Get

Congrats goes out to Elisha Justice who received a scholarship to Louisville. Does everyone realize how hard it is to get a scholarship to a major DI (BCS) school! There are only 6 true BCS conferences: SEC, ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-10, and Big 12. There are no more than 75 teams in those conferences. Most teams give out about 4 scholarships a year so that means there are only 300 scholarships total for Major DI schools each year. To receive one of those you have to be GOOD and LUCKY! Kids and fans just need to be excited and proud if they get to play College Ball period whether it be DI or NAIA. Congrats to all the Seniors from 2010 who get to keep living the dream. Play HARD and HAVE FUN and get a quality education!

I have never thought of it in that perspective. Thank you. I think this is a great post. I hope some young kids get a chance to read this post. I know of too many kids who wait too late to grasp this reality which leads to disappointment when there is truly nothing to be disappointed about. A scholarship to continue playing basketball is a tremendous accomplishment regardless of the level.

The only thing I would add is that there are a lot of great programs not in those 6 conferences that are major D-1 basketball. Here is some teams that are consistently good and have better programs than most teams in the big 6 conferences.

Xavier

Butler

Gonzaga

Memphis

Charlotte

UAB

Temple

Utah

BYU

New Mexico

Dayton

UNLV

And a lot of other teams fluctuate over spans of time bieng really good.

Great, you added 12 schools. That adds another 48 scholarships to Major D-I basketball. Go ahead and add 15 more schools if you want. That still is only a complete total of about 400 major D-I scholarships, they are just so hard to come by! Players just need to push themselves as hard as they can and enjoy whatever opportunities they get to play at the next level and enjoy the college experience.

Congrats goes out to Elisha Justice who received a scholarship to Louisville. Does everyone realize how hard it is to get a scholarship to a major DI (BCS) school! There are only 6 true BCS conferences: SEC, ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-10, and Big 12. There are no more than 75 teams in those conferences. Most teams give out about 4 scholarships a year so that means there are only 300 scholarships total for Major DI schools each year. To receive one of those you have to be GOOD and LUCKY! Kids and fans just need to be excited and proud if they get to play College Ball period whether it be DI or NAIA. Congrats to all the Seniors from 2010 who get to keep living the dream. Play HARD and HAVE FUN and get a quality education!

That's great, I didn't hear he got a scholarship. Last thing I heard he was a preferred walk-on.

Similar stats have been posted, but there are close to 350 Division I schools. Assuming each have on average 4 scholarships per year to award, that means that typically there are 1,400 spots available.

According to the NFHS there were 545,145 kids who played basketball last year. If we divided that by 4 to determine a rough number per class, that would mean there were approximately 135,000 senior basketball players.

So you have 135,000 seniors (this doesn't account for foreign players or JUCO transfers) working toward 1,400 spots. The odds of getting a D-I scholarship would then equate to about 1%. When you factor in the other players, the odds likely slip to about 0.75%.

So to conclude, it is very tough to get a D-I scholarship. But that should in no way hamper any players enthusiasm, desire to work hard, and dreams of accomplishing their goal.

Similar stats have been posted, but there are close to 350 Division I schools. Assuming each have on average 4 scholarships per year to award, that means that typically there are 1,400 spots available.

According to the NFHS there were 545,145 kids who played basketball last year. If we divided that by 4 to determine a rough number per class, that would mean there were approximately 135,000 senior basketball players.

So you have 135,000 seniors (this doesn't account for foreign players or JUCO transfers) working toward 1,400 spots. The odds of getting a D-I scholarship would then equate to about 1%. When you factor in the other players, the odds likely slip to about 0.75%.

So to conclude, it is very tough to get a D-I scholarship. But that should in no way hamper any players enthusiasm, desire to work hard, and dreams of accomplishing their goal.

I think any kid that earns a free ride to any college has defied the odds. This includes the D2 level as well. How many free rides have kids from Ky earned this year? How many seniors do we have playing basketball? If you earned a free ride, it is quite an accomplishment!

I think any kid that earns a free ride to any college has defied the odds. This includes the D2 level as well. How many free rides have kids from Ky earned this year? How many seniors do we have playing basketball? If you earned a free ride, it is quite an accomplishment!

Great post! Also several others above I agree with Log Mountain boy..there are major programs not in BCS conferences. Scholly at all is a great achievement....scholly at at major program even tougher to get, but whether better or not...only the future can tell and really depends on the individuals goals.

I do understand that we are talking about athletic scholarships, but let me add this. I think there are many that put more emphasis on getting the D1 athletic scholarships than getting the academic scholarships at institutions that provide high quality educations whether they be D1, D2, or D3. Many D3 schools provide educations that will take a person as far or farther in life than than D1 schools. Taking care of business in the classroom is what it is all about. If you are a high achiever academically in High School and a good athlete you will have way more options to play at the next level than if you are an average student.

At the end of the day it is really about getting a high quality education!!!

I do understand that we are talking about athletic scholarships, but let me add this. I think there are many that put more emphasis on getting the D1 athletic scholarships than getting the academic scholarships at institutions that provide high quality educations whether they be D1, D2, or D3. Many D3 schools provide educations that will take a person as far or farther in life than than D1 schools. Taking care of business in the classroom is what it is all about. If you are a high achiever academically in High School and a good athlete you will have way more options to play at the next level than if you are an average student.

I know for a fact that the quality of school had a major impact on the Trinity kids Epley(Williams college) and Corbett(Johns Hopkins) picking their schools.

Totally agree with the premise of the quote but I'm not buying into the LUCKY part of it. Elisha made his own luck...great kid, great game, he EARNED it day in and day out with his effort. There are kids out there with more talent then him but not more heart.

:thumb:

Sports are for fun, but a great eduction last a lifetime!

Absolutely. Great post FANOFTHE11th. :thumb: