UK's Plan "C" for Another Big in 2010 ?

StickerMann

Reading a lot on some other threads on this topic, as it appears a true 4 is the missing piece of the puzzle for Kentucky next season. A couple have suggested that KY may have been "all-in" on CJ Leslie and/or that Jones was a long shot to leave the left coast? Having swung and missed on these two, and not being that familiar with what options (Juco, etc.) may be out there; where does Cal go from here to fill that gapping hole??

I think there are a couple of JUCO's on the radar as well. I don't have names but I think there will be a plan C initiated rather quickly IF Jones remains at Washington.

Sorry--Is he a Juco? Not familiar with him?

Yeah, JUCO this year, played his first season at Florida. McD's AA coming out of high school, had offers from Clemson, FSU, UL, Ohio St. Miami, and Pitt. Rivals had him listed as the 26th ranked player overall in the class of 08'. Goes about 6'10''. Spent last season at Miami Dade. If we strike out on all other options, bringing in him and Marcus Thornton wouldn't be too bad of a hit to have to take. Would add quality depth that will be around for a few years, 4 in Thornton's case, 2 in Vargas' case.

Didn't Vargas play with Knight in AAU? Team Breakdown maybe? For some reason I recall watching them play on ESPNU 2-3 summers ago in Orlando. I'm doing this off the top of my head so someone help me out here.

I think you are right, they played along with Kenny Boynton and won a championship that year if I remember correctly.

I heard that Vargas was not a serious candidate for UK and was purely speculation. It had something to do with grades. Don't know how true it is, but I'm not too confident about the Cats in the post this year. It might end up like that Nova team that played a whole bunch of little guys around one big.

Vargas is on the back end of the UK radar for 2010, and would be a reach at best if Jones and Thornton fall through. He was WAY over ranked in the middle of the Florida back to back titles but there is some talent in there if he can get his head on straight. Most of the 2011 class wants to go to UK (:lol:) so I'd pass on taking up a spot there even if the 2010/11 post game suffers short term...

Vargas is on the back end of the UK radar for 2010, and would be a reach at best if Jones and Thornton fall through. He was WAY over ranked in the middle of the Florida back to back titles but there is some talent in there if he can get his head on straight. Most of the 2011 class wants to go to UK (:lol:) so I'd pass on taking up a spot there even if the 2010/11 post game suffers short term...

That's about what I figured. If he were a serious option for UK right now, he would already have committed, with as few scholarship players as the Cats have for next year. I guess its Jones and Thornton or bust.