The TRUTH about H.S. sports in Ky.

TRIPLETHREAT

Clarification on earlier post

There is a van and small blue/white bus that's used to take kids to extra curricular activities. The football team is the only one that travels on a charter bus. There isn't transportation provided to/from school by LexCath.

Frankfort is about 25 (all 4 lanes) miles from Lexington. There's a Catholic school k-8 in town but you have to come to Lexington if you want to go to a Catholic or private high school. I don't think there's one in Frankfort.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't Varsity Sports a part of a high school experience?

And plenty of non-Catholics attend Catholic schools.

I am not that familiar with the Frankfort area but are there any private schools that are KHSAA members in that area?

No. There are no private high schools affilliated with the KHSAA in Franklin County,or any of the surrounding counties. Here is a list of surrounding counties: Owen, Scott, Woodford, Anderson, Shelby, Henry.

The problem is this: Because of the regulations of the KHSAA in addition to the enrollment poilcy of Lex. Cath., many local schools have seen their top athletes travel two counties away to attend LCHS. In addition, many Lexington public schools have seen thier "In-district" athletes opt for the Knights. There are a lot of people that have a bad taste in thier mouths after being drubbed by a team that has a clear and competive advantage because of the policies. The vote (although I oppose it) , was simply a message sent by the member schools to the KHSAA that they have endured enough, and want some tighter restrictions.

No. There are no private high schools affilliated with the KHSAA in Franklin County,or any of the surrounding counties. Here is a list of surrounding counties: Owen, Scott, Woodford, Anderson, Shelby, Henry.

The problem is this: Because of the regulations of the KHSAA in addition to the enrollment poilcy of Lex. Cath., many local schools have seen their top athletes travel two counties away to attend LCHS. In addition, many Lexington public schools have seen thier "In-district" athletes opt for the Knights. There are a lot of people that have a bad taste in thier mouths after being drubbed by a team that has a clear and competive advantage because of the policies. The vote (although I oppose it) , was simply a message sent by the member schools to the KHSAA that they have endured enough, and want some tighter restrictions.

Okay, using your information if I may, if I lived in Frankfort and had a kid and wanted to send him/her to a private school then my closest choice is LexCath?

But that upsets the local schools two counties away from LexCath who apparently claim my child as "theirs"?

And those schools have a bad taste because they get drubbed by a school that has a policy that says anyone can go to school there?

Why don't those schools in those two counties and the Lexington schools have open enrollment like some of the public schools in Louisville and NKY do?

Wouldn't that make them "level" with LexCath except they wouldn't cost as much to attend?

Plenty of kids that aren't into sports make the drive to LexCath too. I think one of our former governors has a daughter who is an alum.

If your plans include college, who wouldn't want to go to a school where 99% of the senior class goes on to higher education. Lots get scholarships (the vast majority not tied to sports) too.

There's not any mass exodus of kids who play sports coming from the public school into Catholic. It costs too much and the teachers are pretty hard.

The boycott has created a mystique about the school that just isn't true. I hope everything can be worked out so the kids can compete with one another. Adults have really made a big mess of things.

There is at least one private school in eastern Kentucky that runs at least one small bus (or did a few years ago) to an adjacent county to pick up students. The school is hardly a sports powerhouse and if a few of those students choose to play sports, I don't see where it is anybody else's business. Private schools in rural Kentucky have a different set of issues to deal with than the big private schools in the Golden Triangle. Running a few buses to keep viable enrollment numbers is just part of keeping the doors open.

Okay, using your information if I may, if I lived in Frankfort and had a kid and wanted to send him/her to a private school then my closest choice is LexCath?

But that upsets the local schools two counties away from LexCath who apparently claim my child as "theirs"?

And those schools have a bad taste because they get drubbed by a school that has a policy that says anyone can go to school there?

Why don't those schools in those two counties and the Lexington schools have open enrollment like some of the public schools in Louisville and NKY do?

Wouldn't that make them "level" with LexCath except they wouldn't cost as much to attend?

What you suggest would actually give the public schools a big edge. If after giving themselves that edge, those schools who are engaged in a boycott still believe that they can't compete, then what excuses would they have left? For that reason, I can't see your suggestion ever being adopted by the big Lexington schools. They are perfectly comfortable with their pet scapegoat.

There's not any mass exodus of kids who play sports coming from the public school into Catholic. .

Agreed ...not a mass exodus. However, when you have the cream of the crop, mass numbers are not needed.

Here is a list of players from public schools (not coming from a parochial school feeder) that have played boys basketball in recent years at Catholic. These are just the ones I can remember....feel free to add others as i am sure you can .

Brendan Woody

Demetrius Green

Harrison Morton

William Graham

Brian Smith

If you see no problem with it, why shouldn't these players be allowed to attend the school of their chioce? Athletes who enroll at Catholic are not subjected to meet the same qualifications of eligibility if they enrolled at a public school. Have you not been paying attention?

Agreed ...not a mass exodus. However, when you have the cream of the crop, mass numbers are not needed.

Here is a list of players from public schools (not coming from a parochial school feeder) that have played boys basketball in recent years at Catholic. These are just the ones I can remember....feel free to add others as i am sure you can .

Brendan Woody

Demetrius Green

Harrison Morton

William Graham

Brian Smith

I would like to hear your take on this post zanny.