Who are some of the best Assistant Coaches?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're saying Boone playing in the Regional Championship game and loosing to the Stae Champion Team Holmes by less than 5 was not winning where it counts? Downs is a well respected and great basketball coach that has the ability to get the most out of his players. Like him or not as a person, but to say you question his coaching ability is a joke. Travel to any AAU Ky state tournament and I believe he will be well known for the winning teams he has brought to many tournaments in the past, and that's with a combination of talent and good coaching.

The success of Coach Downs AAU program sells him enough to anyone that knows basketball.

I AGREE 100%, and to add, my son had the privlege to play for coach downs and because of his effort and ability and patience as a coach, he is definitly the basketball player with the abilities he has because of coach Downs, but even more, he learned that nothing is handed to you, you compete for a position, and the best player plays, no politics, and my son has learned from this that this is true in life. Also, coach Downs is very loyal to his past players, follows them in their other spots and supports them 100%, would do any thing for them if they asked, Besides being a excellent coach he is a an honorable man.

What about Garnett at Conner. I think it is a shame he hasn't had a chance at a Varsity job yet.

Garnett has not done anything at the JV level to warrant a varsity position he has ran more kids from the Conner program than any coach that I have seen. He has not had a winning season since I have known him and he has not help to develope any of the players that he has coached. Rowland is the coach that keeps the kids focus enough to make it to Hicks at the varsity level.

Garnett has not done anything at the JV level to warrant a varsity position he has ran more kids from the Conner program than any coach that I have seen. He has not had a winning season since I have known him and he has not help to develope any of the players that he has coached. Rowland is the coach that keeps the kids focus enough to make it to Hicks at the varsity level.

Shawn Rowland?

I remember in 2005 they had a really good team at Conner and you have to think that the entire staff was pretty good to have that kind of team when they lost key players from the year before. I think that they lost 2 or 3 starters from the year before which means that there were players on the 2005 team that played JV in 2004.

One of the best up and coming coaches in the state is Scott Hundley at Montgomery County. This group overachieved this year in large part because of the way Hundley prepared them at the JV level.

Any word of him applying at Grant Co??:D

So you're saying Boone playing in the Regional Championship game and loosing to the Stae Champion Team Holmes by less than 5 was not winning where it counts? Downs is a well respected and great basketball coach that has the ability to get the most out of his players. Like him or not as a person, but to say you question his coaching ability is a joke. Travel to any AAU Ky state tournament and I believe he will be well known for the winning teams he has brought to many tournaments in the past, and that's with a combination of talent and good coaching.The success of Coach Downs AAU program sells him enough to anyone that knows basketball.

They lost in 2009 to eventual state champion Holmes in the regional finals after beating them in the regular season. In 2010 Boone lost in the semi's of the Region by 9, and then Holmes lost by 26 to Newport, and the Wildcats were bounced in the first round of the Boys Sweet 16 tournament.

I have zero personal knowledge of coach Downs so no ax to grind here. I am simply saying they (Boone) have underperformed to peoples expectations based on what they did as younger players.

AAU is a different animal-where you recruit the best players you can and then roll out the ball. High school is a little different, a little more structured whereby, IMHO, better coaching comes out. He is not the head man, but the thread title said assistant coaches.