Home Beer Brewing

ADopted ADmiral

Just thought I'd provide another update and FYI.

I brewed an IPA quite a while ago (August). I let it ferment in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle straight from the primary. I think I may have made my mistake there. Maybe I should have transferred to a bottling container. Anywho, the result was CRAPPY, overly hoppy beer. I kegged every single bit of it. Tried it 7 months ago - way, way hoppy. Tried it 5 months ago - same result. Threw the keg in the fridge and forgot about it. Tried it yesterday. YUMMY! Tasted like Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

I was so close to throwing that beer away. I guess I just wanted to post this to reinforce the fact that you never, NEVER throw away a homebrew unless you are absolutely sure it is infected and then you also consult someone with more brewing experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back into the brew fun about a week ago.A home brew store opened in Danville last week.Now I have the materials to work with and it's only about a three mile drive from the house.

I have had about a 10 month layoff.So I started back easy with a brewers best kit,no grains just extract.It's been fermenting for about four days now and should be ready to keg on Monday.Today I picked up 10lbs of grain to do a all grain batch.I should be brewing the AG Monday after kegging my last batch. The all grain batch will be a American Amber Ale with about 5.5% ABV. A week from Sunday a will give a report on the extract brew and maybe a pic.

• 1 month later...

Well AA, I just bought all of my supplies for my mash tun and sparging. I just need to invest in a 7.5 gal pot to boil the brew in and I will be set. I'd also like to get an immersion chiller as well, but we shall see. Any information / advice that you have on your all grain equipment would be well appreciated. Can't wait to get the ball rolling on the all grain process!

• 2 months later...

I know it is a little late in the year but I will be brewing a Pumpkin Ale on Saturday. I can't wait! I'm hoping to have it ready for Thanksgiving, but I'm feeling doubtful that it will be ready for that. Sooo, I figure the day that I will break this out will be Christmas.

If anyone is new to brewing or interested in learning how to Brew Tabletop Brewing in Cincinnati. Is giving a free class on it next Thursday Nov 3rd at their store. The class starts at 4:30pm and for more information look them up on Facebook. Tom Wehner is the proprieter and is a great Guy who loves to share his knowledge.

• 2 months later...
I have a batch of APA in the closet ready to bottle. What is the best way to make sure my bottles are contaminated? I do have some San Star. Should I just clean with a bottle brush and then sanitize and bottle?

Sounds good to me. Soak the bottles in hot water then I'd get a spray bottle for the Star San. Mix up a solution of Star San and spray each bottle. Its time consuming. You should invest in a keg if your going to stick with homebrewing.

About $150 - $200. I did it a chunk at a time. I'd be willing to sell you a corny keg for $40 if you want it. I think a normal price tag on that would be in the $70's. After that your only needing a register and CO2 tank and you are set. Well, you'll still need a place to keep the beer cold. PM me if interested...

• 4 weeks later...