Newport Central Catholic's new head coach is...

bredwinner

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be interested in how the staff shakes out or will it remain the same. Now that it is obvious that Wags isn't in their plans as a head coach, will he look at another school to become a head coach (Campbell)? Is Bob Schneider's son bitter at all? Will he want to walk away or become a bad apple because things aren't the way that daddy did it? Will the Allen boys still be allowed to be the ball boys? KIDDING!

I'll be interested in how the staff shakes out or will it remain the same. Now that it is obvious that Wags isn't in their plans as a head coach, will he look at another school to become a head coach (Campbell)? Is Bob Schneider's son bitter at all? Will he want to walk away or become a bad apple because things aren't the way that daddy did it? Will the Allen boys still be allowed to be the ball boys? KIDDING!

Dave Schneider shouldnt be bitter. Apparently, from all reports he didnt have the credit hours necessary and knew that. If he wanted the job, he could have done something about it. But that is just speculation on my part.

I personally think that Wags would have been the better choice. Does anybody even know if he was interested in being the HC? or if he "interviewed" for the job?

If he was and was passed over, how would he feel about being passed over? Does his loyalty mean anything?

Eviston's smartest move would be to make sure the entire staff returns. If not, I don't things will go well up on the hill!

Dan definitely interviewed for the spot. I think he had made some choices over his life and career that showed his commitment to the program and his desire to be a part of the succession plan if/when the legendary coach Schneider retired. Not sure of his plans or Coach Evistan's plans to retain the D coordinator. It would be a smart move to to keep Wags around, unless this sours Wag's loyalty and his love for the game takes over and has him look for another position elsewhere. Time will tell. Best luck to the Breds.

Dan definitely interviewed for the spot. I think he had made some choices over his life and career that showed his commitment to the program and his desire to be a part of the succession plan if/when the legendary coach Schneider retired. Not sure of his plans or Coach Evistan's plans to retain the D coordinator. It would be a smart move to to keep Wags around, unless this sours Wag's loyalty and his love for the game takes over and has him look for another position elsewhere. Time will tell. Best luck to the Breds.

Well, there is a catholic school in Alexandria that would be glad to have him.

Why would the smart move be to retain the staff? Well lets see, they have been to 4 finals in the last 5 years and have two titles to show for it (I believe is what I heard). That is good enough reason for me. I am a firm believer in "If it aint broke, dont fix it"!

He is a former student and athlete at NCC. Well that doesnt matter. Anybody that went there (yes I did), should be able to tell you about the politics in parachial schools, especially NCC. Besides, do you remember when people were calling for Bob's head about 10 years ago? They turned on "the longevity legend".

Finally, being a college player does not mean that you can coach. Yo have to know how to deal with parents, boosters, administration, time commitments, players in trouble...etc. That is a challenge to anybody, especially for someone with limited coaching ability.

Wags has over 20 years of coaching the Breds. He has been through the good, the bad and the ugly. He has seen how Bob handled things. He's had the pressure of being a D coordinator.

Wags would be the better choice. That is my opinion.

Unless Wags coached for the decade of the 80's, he has 10 years experience coaching the Breds. He would have been a great hire, but he's not at the school every day. Eddie is also a great hire. And as far as politics go, I would put NewCath football up against any program in the state for fairness. Eddie has been on staff for 4 years and will do fine. If anything, he will lean very heavily on Wags b/c of his experience. Eddie already said that the current staff was welcome to return, there just may be certain changes in work capacity.

This same kind of reaction happened when Grant was hired. Look, these are young guys who have and will dedicate much of their lives to the school. They will be there for a long time, God willing, and NewCath will be a better place for having them. Additionally, the kids are pumped to have Eddie as their coach, just as they would have been for Wags, b/c they loved both of them. You can't have two head coaches, and Eddie's youth, enthusiasm, and potential bring a lot to the table. I believe that Wags and Eddie will work harmoniously, b/c knowing the two of them, only one thing matters...the state title.

Does the fact that NCC hired Eviston indicate that they wanted to stay in-house/in the family?

or

Is it more a case of despite being a high profile job and leader of a top program, that because of the salary it is really hard to attract a top coach?

Nothing against Eviston, but one would think that a program of NCC's stature could attract a coach with more of a successful track record.

Does the fact that NCC hired Eviston indicate that they wanted to stay in-house/in the family?

or

Is it more a case of despite being a high profile job and leader of a top program, that because of the salary it is really hard to attract a top coach?

Nothing against Eviston, but one would think that a program of NCC's stature could attract a coach with more of a successful track record.

I think that they took a calculated risk, while keeping it in house. You have a highly intelligent young coach who has been exposed to a lot of football as a player. You have someone who is around the players every day, and who will be around NewCath for many years to come.

or

When Coach Bob retired he flat out said he would recommend they stay with a grad or someone within the system since they are the only ones who seem to work out as coaches at NCC. He commented it was known he was the lowest paid coach in NKY. These small private schools are like a family, people do it for the love of the school and the kids and not necessarily for the money.

Why would the smart move be to retain the staff? Well lets see, they have been to 4 finals in the last 5 years and have two titles to show for it (I believe is what I heard). That is good enough reason for me. I am a firm believer in "If it aint broke, dont fix it"!

He is a former student and athlete at NCC. Well that doesnt matter. Anybody that went there (yes I did), should be able to tell you about the politics in parachial schools, especially NCC. Besides, do you remember when people were calling for Bob's head about 10 years ago? They turned on "the longevity legend".

Finally, being a college player does not mean that you can coach. Yo have to know how to deal with parents, boosters, administration, time commitments, players in trouble...etc. That is a challenge to anybody, especially for someone with limited coaching ability.

Wags has over 20 years of coaching the Breds. He has been through the good, the bad and the ugly. He has seen how Bob handled things. He's had the pressure of being a D coordinator.

Wags would be the better choice. That is my opinion.

First, when did Wagner start coaching with NCC's staff?? over 20 years? Last i checked, it was somewhere in the ballpark of 99...

Second, it does matter when hiring a former player, who is already in the system...especially at a catholic school where he had several family members go there, including an older brother who was an excellent player as well. They want someone who understands the program and community. NCC has had more success in the last 5 years than they did in the previous 25 years...a lot of that success can be attributed to Eddie.

Lastly, I never said playing college football makes you a good coach. I stated that he played college football. Knowledge and experience make you a good coach. The ability to communicate with kids and your staff effectively make you a good coach also. Eddie has all of the above.

NCC's hiring is slightly comparable to Newports of last year. However, I think Eddie has far more experience and exposure to good football minds at Georgetown. But I also think Nick Rice has some top of the line assistants. I'm not sure what Eddie will decide to do in that regard.

Wagner has been around the NCC program for a long time. I know when my younger brother was there in the 80's, he helped coach the frosh with a young guy named Faust and the frosh coach was Mick Dorgan, long time NFF coach.

Anyway, I stated my opinion. I have no dog in this fight. NCC made their choice. They will be successful regardless because of the "athlete factory" mentality.

First, when did Wagner start coaching with NCC's staff?? over 20 years? Last i checked, it was somewhere in the ballpark of 99...

Second, it does matter when hiring a former player, who is already in the system...especially at a catholic school where he had several family members go there, including an older brother who was an excellent player as well. They want someone who understands the program and community. NCC has had more success in the last 5 years than they did in the previous 25 years...a lot of that success can be attributed to Eddie.

Lastly, I never said playing college football makes you a good coach. I stated that he played college football. Knowledge and experience make you a good coach. The ability to communicate with kids and your staff effectively make you a good coach also. Eddie has all of the above.

NCC's hiring is slightly comparable to Newports of last year. However, I think Eddie has far more experience and exposure to good football minds at Georgetown. But I also think Nick Rice has some top of the line assistants. I'm not sure what Eddie will decide to do in that regard.

I think that you are selling Rice short. He was a great college player in his own right. Additionally, he had a lot of experience coaching w/ both Lickert and Deaton at Dayton. TMC had some pretty good football minds when Rice was there, and they still currently do.

Has anyone spoken to Coach Wagner? Does he plan on returning to the program next year? I hope for all concerned that he does, great coach, great guy.

I think Coach Eviston will have a nice nucleous of Skill players comming back. They should dominate the 2a district next year. I think it is key however, that Coach Wagner return to stabilize the defense.