Newport Central Catholic's new head coach is...

bredwinner

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Dan Wagner at the helm would have been a more seamless transition. good luck to Coach Eviston!

I personally think that Wags would have been the better choice. Does anybody even know if he was interested in being the HC? or if he "interviewed" for the job?

If he was and was passed over, how would he feel about being passed over? Does his loyalty mean anything?

Eviston's smartest move would be to make sure the entire staff returns. If not, I don't things will go well up on the hill!

I personally think that Wags would have been the better choice. Does anybody even know if he was interested in being the HC? or if he "interviewed" for the job?

If he was and was passed over, how would he feel about being passed over? Does his loyalty mean anything?

Eviston's smartest move would be to make sure the entire staff returns. If not, I don't things will go well up on the hill!

Why would a smart move be to retain the staff?? No matter who the staff may be...NCC is the type of school that has a lot of following by the alumni. He is a former student and athlete at NCC...they will support him no matter what. Now that it is official, his first order of business is acquiring a staff. He will hire anyone he feels will help him win and win consistently. Good Luck to Eddie Eviston...NCC will certainly embrace a former star player being the new head of the program!! :thumb:

Why would a smart move be to retain the staff?? No matter who the staff may be...NCC is the type of school that has a lot of following by the alumni. He is a former student and athlete at NCC...they will support him no matter what. Now that it is official, his first order of business is acquiring a staff. He will hire anyone he feels will help him win and win consistently. Good Luck to Eddie Eviston...NCC will certainly embrace a former star player being the new head of the program!! :thumb:

Why would the smart move be to retain the staff? Well lets see, they have been to 4 finals in the last 5 years and have two titles to show for it (I believe is what I heard). That is good enough reason for me. I am a firm believer in "If it aint broke, dont fix it"!

He is a former student and athlete at NCC. Well that doesnt matter. Anybody that went there (yes I did), should be able to tell you about the politics in parachial schools, especially NCC. Besides, do you remember when people were calling for Bob's head about 10 years ago? They turned on "the longevity legend".

Finally, being a college player does not mean that you can coach. Yo have to know how to deal with parents, boosters, administration, time commitments, players in trouble...etc. That is a challenge to anybody, especially for someone with limited coaching ability.

Wags has over 20 years of coaching the Breds. He has been through the good, the bad and the ugly. He has seen how Bob handled things. He's had the pressure of being a D coordinator.

Wags would be the better choice. That is my opinion.

First of all, Congrats to Eddie! I think he will make a fine Head Coach. Secondly, I may not have an idea of what's going to happen, but I would think he'd try to retain the staff that has been in place, but that's up to him. I liked the phrase, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and I completely agree with you. However, he has to make the Newcath job his own, and he will. Eddie is a leader, a role model, and a winner...and nothing will change that. The very, very, very best of luck to him, his team, and his staff this season and for many seasons to come.

First of all, Congrats to Eddie! I think he will make a fine Head Coach. Secondly, I may not have an idea of what's going to happen, but I would think he'd try to retain the staff that has been in place, but that's up to him. I liked the phrase, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and I completely agree with you. However, he has to make the Newcath job his own, and he will. Eddie is a leader, a role model, and a winner...and nothing will change that. The very, very, very best of luck to him, his team, and his staff this season and for many seasons to come.

Absolutely he needs to make the program his own. Add in a motto, change up the warm-up and stretching routine, and some pre-game routines would be good things to change. But, dont mess with the staff-they know what they are doing.