Personal All-Time Sports Movies by Genre

cooperstown

No question great movie. But since I was the one who had the most input into the final baseball list (my favorite sport), which one of our 7 would you delete? All 7 of those are first rate movies. No way does Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Natural, Bang Drum Slowly, or Pride of Yankees come down off ANY baseball list anywhere.

League of Their Own? Please. Not even close...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Longest Yard" maybe. Maybe. No way "Varsity Blues" can replace any of those movies though. I'd be more inclined to list "All the Right Moves" before that one.

I'll take it over "We Are Marshall," "Any Given Sunday" and "Rudy," which I think is one of the most grossly overrated flicks of all-time. And none come close to "Longest Yard."

The Sandlot is the best baseball-centered movie ever made. I will concede that it might not have enough baseball content to be considered for the baseball list.

The Mighty Ducks, to my mind, is one of the best hockey movies. I definitely think it's better than Miracle and belongs on the Other list. In fact, HBO's documentary about the Miracle on Ice was more dramatic than that movie, I feel.

The Sandlot is the best baseball-centered movie ever made. I will concede that it might not have enough baseball content to be considered for the baseball list.

Sandlot and Field of Dreams are neck and neck when it comes to movies that show the simple pleasures of catching a baseball and playing it with your buddies. I still have great memories of playing pickup in Little's Field (which was really just some nice lady's side yard that was big enough for punks to play baseball).

By the way, is it possible that we have a generation of kids that have never had two kids grip a bat one hand over the other to determine which team gets to bat first?

I cant put a movie that shows Joe Jackson batting right handed at the top of any baseball list, no matter how many throw back uniforms the movie had. It's like getting Matt Damon to play the lead in "The Wilt Chamberlain Story."

While I can appreciate your taste for authenticity I think that has caused you to miss the beauty of the story.

I liked the story. Brilliant piece of writing. That's what makes it hard for me to accept a right-handed hitting Ray Liotta making an appearance.

It's why I appreciate a movie like *61 more because of the effort Billy Crystal made in making sure the ENTIRE picture was authentic, from painting all of Tiger Stadium's seats green to filming Anthony Michael Hall in reverse because Hall was a righty and Whitey Ford was a lefty.

I'll take it over "We Are Marshall," "Any Given Sunday" and "Rudy," which I think is one of the most grossly overrated flicks of all-time. And none come close to "Longest Yard."

For the record, I was opposed to "We Are Marshall", but conceded inclusion into our final list because I personally can't stand Matthew McConaughey and felt maybe it skewed my perception of the movie. My buddy loves it.

I don't know many people that don't think "Rudy" is a pretty darn inspiring and entertaining movie. And "Any Given Sunday" is just a flat-out fun and cool football movie.

I liked the story. Brilliant piece of writing. That's what makes it hard for me to accept a right-handed hitting Ray Liotta making an appearance.

It's why I appreciate a movie like *61 more because of the effort Billy Crystal made in making sure the ENTIRE picture was authentic, from painting all of Tiger Stadium's seats green to filming Anthony Michael Hall in reverse because Hall was a righty and Whitey Ford was a lefty.

"*61" was one of our last cuts. I love the movie. The final two in our baseball list were "Eight Men Out", which is a very, very good movie and "League of Their Own." I could certainly see someone objecting to "League of Their Own" over some others. Just happens to be a personal favorite of mine. I thought Tom Hanks was outstanding in the movie and just liked that it was based on a true story. As was, of course, *61.