Morgan Newton to start in the Auburn game?

Original Rookie

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his playmaking ability with his legs is what will give UK's offense a chance to move the ball. Considering Fidler couldn't beat Hartline out and we saw how stagnant the offense was with Hartline at times, I have to believe the result with Fidler would be the same at best and likely worse.

The question is, IMO, whether Brooks things Newton gives them a better chance to move the ball and score points offensively. If the answer is yes, then in light of Hartline's injury, he probably needs to give him the reigns.

Noone knows for sure, but all signs point to Morgan Newton being the starter this Saturday. Im pretty excited to watch the young kid in action, but I dont think he throws more then 15-18 passes this weekend. I guess it depends on the score though. If Auburn is up most of the game, maybe we will get to see what kind of arm the boy has.

I will tell you about Morgan Newton's arm.

He can throw the football a long way, he can throw the football with a lot of velocity. He greatly struggles with accuracy and has difficulty spiraling the football consistantly.

At Auburn on Saturday, he will run the ball on many of the called pass plays.

I don't think Coach Brooks thinks Newton is ready. This is an obvious youth movement.

Both Morgan Newton and Will Fidler were told early in the week that Newton will start against Auburn.

I had heard the same about Fidler knowing that he wasnt starting. Of course it could have just been Fidler speculating but I know a few of his friends expressed their dissatisfaction with him not getting the gig on the FB page.

I would go with Fidler.

On the road in the SEC with a team that needs a win is a difficult way for a true freshman to get his feet wet.

Wouldn't Fidler effectively be "getting his feet wet" as well? He's only taken about 25 snaps in his career, right?

Coach Brooks clearly isn't happy with Fidler. He said so on his radio show. He said that while his arm is strong his lack of knowledge on how to run the offense and what passes to make when are not where a player who has been in the system for 3 or 4 years should be.

Coach Brooks clearly isn't happy with Fidler. He said so on his radio show. He said that while his arm is strong his lack of knowledge on how to run the offense and what passes to make when are not where a player who has been in the system for 3 or 4 years should be.

I noticed that immediately in the Miami (OH) game.

I was very disappointed with Fidler.

I'd rather have him in there than Newton, but I'm excited about Newton getting the opportunity. I just wish it would be against UL-Monroe first.

I'd start Cobb against Auburn. Or, I'd run the Wildcat much, much, much, much more often.

I noticed that immediately in the Miami (OH) game.

I was very disappointed with Fidler.

I'd rather have him in there than Newton, but I'm excited about Newton getting the opportunity. I just wish it would be against UL-Monroe first.

I'd start Cobb against Auburn. Or, I'd run the Wildcat much, much, much, much more often.

I might play all three of them equally this week and use that to make a decision on Fidler or Newton for next week's much more winnable game against Louisiana-Monroe.

This is a very true statement.

Because he graduated from high school in December and enrolled in UK in January of 2006,Will Fidler has been in this system for four years of spring practices, four years of summer practices, and the coaching staff has been frustrated with his ability to get them in the right play and make the right read.

How good of a runner is Newton? Can he run some Wildcat?

He can run the Wildcat and running the football is his strength.

He is not, at least at this stage, a pocket passer as many of you have been led to believe. He is not comfortable in the pocket and has a short clock before he tucks it away to run.