Kickoffs Into End Zone

cooperstown

Can someone explain to me the logic behind the rule of blowing the ball dead on kickoffs that reach the end zone? I don't get it. Is there somehow a difference between a ball that reaches the 1-yard line and one that goes 1-yard deep into the end zone? As strong as many of the kickers are these days, hitting the end zone from the 40-yard line is becoming more common place. I just can't see the harm in allowing these balls to be returned.

Having a kicker that can put in the end zone consistently is a real weapon in high school. Making a team go 80 yards everytime you kick off is an extreme asset.

No question. But it's also unfair to limit the "asset" of the offense having a great kick returner. If you're going to have this rule, the ball should be kicked off from the 35 yard line. Most kickoffs that I see only reach the end zone by a couple of yards, so by doing so you would only reward the truly exceptional kickoffs.

I guess the reason I ask is because I get this feeling that the rule has to do with some safety issue - i.e., the coverage men are getting that much longer to build up a head of steam and hammer some poor returner. And if that's the case, then I would submit that they shouldn't allow any punts to be returned.

That's a good question for Kissenger...

NFHS rules changes are usually safety oriented. The "nonscoring kick is dead when it breaks the plane of R's goal line" rule change was implemented in 1996.

I've been officiating since 1990 and it's been that way at least since then, probably longer.

I have to agree that it is a dumb rule. The return men should decide if they want to touch the ball down in their own end zone to declare a 'touch back' -- unless of course the ball goes out of the back of the end zone. Of course if this rule did not exist then the kicking team could go down and pounce on the ball in the end zone for a touch down. Maybe that's what they were trying to prevent. Some of those kick returners have enough trouble catching the ball let alone making a decision like whether to run it out or not! Also, if they step out and then step back in and kneel down it would be a safety. Complicated sport!