Strangest concert you've ever been to

Jim Schue

Don't ask.:ohbrother:

Okay, I won't ask... just tell. GWAR will be back in Louisville for a show on Nov. 5. Can't wait to see you out there.

As for the strangest show I've ever seen, it was probably Saturday night. It was a guy from Nashville who was an overweight, bearded white guy with dreadlocks who called himself Spoken Nerd. He performed in socks with no shoes. The instrumentation consisted of a MacBook on which he had mp3s of some beats he laid down which was plugged into a couple large speakers. He rapped over the music from his laptop for about an hour and each song was fantastically upbeat and positive. He stopped for questions from the audience every once in a while. Highlights include:

Q: Who killed Laura Palmer?

A: (After a couple minutes of babbling until someone finally told him it was a reference to the TV show Twin Peaks) You shouldn't kill people; you should buy them cookie cakes... because they heal all wounds.

Q: What kind of beer do you like?

A: I think you should buy American. Not anything from Anheuser Busch or Miller or some company owned by Sweden, but good American beer. *looks around, realizes noone has a clue what he's talking about and asks crowd why there are no positive rap songs about the police, then proceeds to do one*

Q: What do you think about healthcare reform?

A: I don't think a right to healthcare exists anywhere in the constitution; that said, we all need to start eating healthier.

(He proceeded to do a song about waking up for work that included the line "Honey Buns and a soda for breakfast.")

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the strangest show I've ever seen, it was probably Saturday night. It was a guy from Nashville who was an overweight, bearded white guy with dreadlocks who called himself Spoken Nerd.
I tried to Google "Spoken Nerd," but apparently, that name sets off some sort of alarm bells at Google, and they think you're a robot trying to take over the Universe. :rolleyes:

Oh my Jim Rose Circus must have been shocking...

:lol: :lol:

Picturing you at either one of those is quite comical!

Keep laughing. :lol:

Do tell!!!

Oh, but we so want to! :ylsuper:

GWAR--at one point in my illustrious life (:rolleyes:) I worked at The Brewery/Thunderdome as a waitress. On Thursday nights they hosted concerts in the Thunderdome. Me, being chronically broke, volunteered to be a beer bucket girl that night. (Not the kind of beer tub girls they have now...we wore clothes. :lol:) WHAT A MISTAKE! It was an 18 and over concert, and besides the AWFULNESS of the concert, I didn't make any money. :irked: The GWAR concert is the ONLY thing keeping Courtney Love and Hole off my 1a/b list. Saw her there too...shoot, it could have been the same night. The Cardigans were awesome though. :D

NIN/MM/JRC---In the same period of my life, I had a roommate who had an extra ticket, and I had nothing to do. I'd heard of NIN, but not Marilyn Manson. The Jim Rose Circus opened, and although kind of (for lack of a better word) creepy, wasn't bad at all. Marilyn Manson was OFFENSIVE! NIN was NIN, but I must say, they had an incredible stage effects with film footage from WWII, and a great light show. Unlike Manson, I could at least appreciate their artistry.

On Thursday nights they hosted concerts in the Thunderdome. Me, being chronically broke, volunteered to be a beer bucket girl that night. (Not the kind of beer tub girls they have now...we wore clothes. :lol:)
Would it be okay if we went ahead and called you "Bucket Girl" from now on? I mean, if it's all the same to you and everything...

Just askin'.

Angel.gif

Jim you at an ICP concert is classic. Caddy's... had some good times there back in the day.

1st one for me that pops out is Tesla 5 Man Acoustical Jam tour. They really good all sitting on bar stools playing acoustic guitars. That was until the 6th or so song when the lead singer fell off his stool and passed out drunk lol. End of that show!

My best friend growing up was a Cyrus. He bribed me into going to Ritter Park to see his cousin that I could care less about. Some tool named Billy Ray played in front of about 20 people. A couple weeks later Achey Breaky Heart came out.

My 1st concert was in the Lawrence Co High School gym as a kid. It was The Judds and Rickey Skaggs. They made it big soon after that too. They were all actually talented though.

Kid Rock/Korn/Metallica at Ky Speedway in 2001? 02?

The day was incredibly hot and the crowd was HUGE.

Reasons for being strange:

1. Watched a guy collect money from people who wanted to see his girlfriend take off her shirt.

2. People were urinating on top of the banked part of the racetrack so it would run down and soak the shorts/blankets/etc of the people sitting on the lower part of the banked track.

3. Ambulances entered the mosh pit about every 15 minutes to take "the fallen" away.

4. As we were leaving the concert and arrived at our car, a couple was having sex next to it. As a matter of fact, I had to ask the girl to remove her foot from the rear tire so I could open my door and get in. They never stopped even as we drove away and exposed them to the thousands of people leaving the concert.

I swear the above is all true.

That's the Summer Sanitarium tour I was talking about earlier.

You're right...there were lots of incidents like this.

Kid Rock/Korn/Metallica at Ky Speedway in 2001? 02?

The day was incredibly hot and the crowd was HUGE.

Reasons for being strange:

1. Watched a guy collect money from people who wanted to see his girlfriend take off her shirt.

2. People were urinating on top of the banked part of the racetrack so it would run down and soak the shorts/blankets/etc of the people sitting on the lower part of the banked track.

3. Ambulances entered the mosh pit about every 15 minutes to take "the fallen" away.

4. As we were leaving the concert and arrived at our car, a couple was having sex next to it. As a matter of fact, I had to ask the girl to remove her foot from the rear tire so I could open my door and get in. They never stopped even as we drove away and exposed them to the thousands of people leaving the concert.

I swear the above is all true.

So, how much did you donate?:idunno:

I guess the strangest one I attended was Nappy Roots, but another that sticks out was Tom Wopat (aka Luke Duke).

Wopat said, "so, who do you think wrecked the General Lee the most?"

Some wild person in the crowd screamed, "Uncle Jessie!!! Whoooo!"

Concerts can be strange for a variety of reasons, whether you're a fish out of water, having been dragged to a show by your friends, a show you might not otherwise go to. Or, it's just odd because of the crowd, or the artists, the music, or because of what you see going on surrounding the show.

Well, what is it for you, and why?

For me, it's a pretty easy one: Insane Clown Posse.

I saw them at the old Caddy's Garage before they tore the place down. Oddball white rappers decked out in clownish-looking Kabuki makeup, spraying 2-liters of Faygo on the crowd. Fans mixing it up in a mosh pit that looked every bit as aggressive as any punk show I've been to, and laughing at my buddy who was in there with 'em after he came back with most of the shredded clothing he had left soaked with soda-pop mud. Girls jumping up on stage to dance, only to have the artists come up behind them and lift the ladies' shirts up, to the delight of the crowd. Seeing some kid who couldn't have been more than 10-years-old in makeup soaking up all this funky weirdness along with his very square-looking mother of about 40.

Runner-up: I went with a buddy to what used to be known as the Kool Jazz Festival. Not because it was a strange show itself, per se, but because of my buddy and I walking around downtown beforehand and I was accosted by a crackhead in the days before I knew how to deal with crackheads.

I went to a Jam on Main Show in downtown Cincy in 96 to see Seven Mary Three play and it was really my only bad experience at a concert. It was late May, but cold and seems like a little wet. Crowd seemed angry to me, just not a good vibe at all, and not a good show either. I later found out a riot had erupted. First time I didn't feel safe downtown in the Nati.