Bank of Kentucky Arena

The topic of radio broadcasts has been run through every possible angle in BGP and in the media. Those issues have been addressed and now that the tournaments are upon us, the questions about crowds and atmosphere now surface in threads from the games last night.

Funny how we complained about the venues utilized for regional final games in Northern Kentucky in year's past. We lobbied and possibly even elected state legislators who would put forth funding for an arena for the area that could be used for regional basketball tournaments, graduation ceremonies and other events. Now that we finally got it, some feel the arena is too big and lacks atmosphere?

I was unable to make it there last night because of a late night at work but I will take in several games over the course of the next week at the BOK Arena, which is probably the nicest basketball arena in our state. I will enjoy going into an arena where I know I will have a seat and not have to worry about getting to the game an hour early so I can find a reasonable place to park my car. I will enjoy the comfort of a seat and not the bleacher plastic of Conner, Ryle or Holmes. Sitting above the mezzanine level and looking through the bars at these places never got it for me.

I agree with what the Panda guy said in another thread that playing in the arena environment will help the Northern Kentucky kids once they get to Diddle or Rupp- or maybe even back to BOK in a few years. Franklin Simpson came out of nowhere last year and nearly won the state title at Diddle. One advantage they had was the game experience on the Diddle floor-something like 6+ games over the course of their season. (Districts, Regionals and even a couple of other games if I am not mistaken.)

I doubt many will be complaining on the boy’s side of things next week when they pack several thousand into the arena. I hope that the girls can garner big crowds as well. Get out and go watch a game in your new arena.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Franklin Simpson came out of nowhere last year and nearly won the state title at Diddle. One advantage they had was the game experience on the Diddle floor-something like 6+ games over the course of their season. (Districts, Regionals and even a couple of other games if I am not mistaken.)
Franklin-Simpson was a top-10 team last year ... they didn't come out of nowhere.

I really doubt that "Diddle experience" was that big a factor in their run, given that they were considered a contender from the start. Proximity to home and a big home crowd was probably more of a factor.

It will take more than just a new facility to lure the girls from Diddle Arena. Bowling Green makes quite a financial commitment to host the tournament, and that is something that northern Kentucky would have to beat to become a serious player in the bidding process.

Franklin-Simpson was a top-10 team last year ... they didn't come out of nowhere.

I really doubt that "Diddle experience" was that big a factor in their run, given that they were considered a contender from the start. Proximity to home and a big home crowd was probably more of a factor.

Fair statement but I doubt many expected that they would be in the finals. I would love to know how many games that they did play on the floor. It was more than 5, it had to have been some help to their basketball team.

I'm on record as saying I'll put up with the negatives at the schools like Conner, Ryle, and Holmes in order to have a great, electric atmosphere that you can't/won't get at BOK. There's no way in heck the girls felt like the crowd was "electric" nor will the boys. There will be over 6000 empty seats tomorrow night for the first boys game. Electric? Hardly. I'll take the hard seats. I'll take the pizza slices for $2. I'll take the walk from having to park far away.

High school basketball is meant to be played in high school gyms that are packed.

Fair statement but I doubt many expected that they would be in the finals. I would love to know how many games that they did play on the floor. It was more than 5, it had to have been some help to their basketball team.
According to the BGP rankings, the #10 team beat the #6 and #8 teams to get to the state finals ... it wasn't that much of a stretch.

Coming into the state tournament, it appears that Franklin-Simpson played the three regional tournament games at Diddle, and that's it. The advantage was more in being close to home than familiarity with the arena itself, and that can come up anywhere.

I'm on record as saying I'll put up with the negatives at the schools like Conner, Ryle, and Holmes in order to have a great, electric atmosphere that you can't/won't get at BOK. There's no way in heck the girls felt like the crowd was "electric" nor will the boys. There will be over 6000 empty seats tomorrow night for the first boys game. Electric? Hardly. I'll take the hard seats. I'll take the pizza slices for $2. I'll take the walk from having to park far away.

High school basketball is meant to be played in high school gyms that are packed.

Agreed!!!

I always loved it at Holmes:thumb: I will not miss the clearing of the gym between the semis.

According to the BGP rankings, the #10 team beat the #6 and #8 teams to get to the state finals ... it wasn't that much of a stretch.

Coming into the state tournament, it appears that Franklin-Simpson played the three regional tournament games at Diddle, and that's it. The advantage was more in being close to home than familiarity with the arena itself, and that can come up anywhere.

I believe their district tourney was there as well.

Does anyone have pictures of this arena? Have heard good things about it, just haven't had the chance to get a look at it!

Here are the pictures I took at the arena last night.

http://picasaweb.google.com/buttels/200809GirlsBasketballHolmesVsNewportCentralCatholic?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/buttels/200809GirlsBasketballStHenryVsRyle?feat=directlink

Hope this helps.