2009 Greenup County

Ram

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I beleive coach copley will have to make these decisions,and is very capable of doing so.I agree we need to have a great number of kids to come out for football more is always better. I also believe in the kids that we ended with last year and that we can win with them. We had a good group of freshman and sophmores and with the handful of juniors and seniors that spells success,but that's only if they are willing to work hard, unlike the past. I hope coach copley doesn't allow kids to play that aren't putting in their time,that doesn't teach our kids nothing. LIFE IS ABOUT WORKING HARD FOR WHAT YOU WANT. NOTHING IN LIFE IS HANDED TO YOU.

There is a special called board meeting tonight to go over facilities for the football field. We need everybody there for support, I have other obligations and can't be there but we need a very strong contingent to show our support for whatever they decide to do for us and our facilities.

It is at 6 p.m. at the board of education office.

Edited by recpark
change in wording

There is a special called board meeting tonight to go over facilities for the football field. We need everybody there for support, I have other obligations and can't be there but we need a very strong contingent to show our support for whatever they decide to do for us and our facilities.

It is at 6 p.m. at the board of education office.

Sorry I didn't get the memo in time. Can someone tell me what was decided?

Well there are some positives and some negatives to come out of the Special Board meeting tonite.

First off, the Superintendant reccomended and the Board voted to rescind their previous allocation of funds to retop the football field/improve irrigation/plant new grass. This has been tabled indefinately, along with the proposal to install a Turf Field.

On the issue of a combined Football Team, the Superintendant seemed to be pushing for a vote. After much discussion, this vote was tabled until the next Board meeting. Issues surrounding supervision of students, transportation, and even cheerleading seemed to muddy the waters and the Board seemed uncomfortable making a decision until they have studied the matter further. AD, Ailister spoke out against combining the teams. IMO the Board votes are there to make this happen once the transportation/supervision issues are resolved.

On the issue of new bleachers. This was listed as priority number one on the Facility improvement plan that was shared tonite. Estimated cost $300,000, this will also be taken up at the next meeting.

Lights for the Field: Ranked as priority 2 (meaning, most likely will not happen until the -2010/2011 school year) Estimated cost: $120,000

New Field House - This was a priority 3, (most likely at least 2 years out). Estimated cost $300,000. The priority of this item may change if the Middle School teams are combined and space becomes a serious issue. There was a line item for a new roof for the Field House this year at an estimated $10,000.

There were some major undercurrents going on at this meeting, if you want background or more details please PM me.

I believe for Greenup to be sucessful this year the boys need to believe in them selfs as a team. For a few years now they have been surrounded by such negative things that I believe they started to think maybe alot of it was true. Now with the new coach and his wonderful attitude and the faith that he has already shown them they can believe in them selfs again. Anything that this team sets their mind to can be done if they are willing:clap:. Work hard in the weight room and on the field,stay focused and listen to your new caoch and this will be a very exciting year:jump:. I for one am looking for a Great season. Boys if you are reading this we the fans are rooting for you and know that you can have what you set your minds to accomplish.Have a great season and may it be injury free. I LOVE the MUSKETEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the Independent:

By MIKE JAMES

The Independent

LLOYD — There won’t be artificial turf on the Greenup County High School football field for the foreseeable future.

In fact, the school board on Thursday changed its mind about some field maintenance issues and rescinded its previous approval for recrowning, replanting and irrigating.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/local/local_story_050231939.html?keyword=secondarystory

Well there are some positives and some negatives to come out of the Special Board meeting tonite.

First off, the Superintendant reccomended and the Board voted to rescind their previous allocation of funds to retop the football field/improve irrigation/plant new grass. This has been tabled indefinately, along with the proposal to install a Turf Field

On the issue of a combined Football Team, the Superintendant seemed to be pushing for a vote. After much discussion, this vote was tabled until the next Board meeting. Issues surrounding supervision of students, transportation, and even cheerleading seemed to muddy the waters and the Board seemed uncomfortable making a decision until they have studied the matter further. AD, Ailister spoke out against combining the teams. IMO the Board votes are there to make this happen once the transportation/supervision issues are resolved.

On the issue of new bleachers. This was listed as priority number one on the Facility improvement plan that was shared tonite. Estimated cost $300,000, this will also be taken up at the next meeting.

Lights for the Field: Ranked as priority 2 (meaning, most likely will not happen until the -2010/2011 school year) Estimated cost: $120,000

New Field House - This was a priority 3, (most likely at least 2 years out). Estimated cost $300,000. The priority of this item may change if the Middle School teams are combined and space becomes a serious issue. There was a line item for a new roof for the Field House this year at an estimated $10,000.

There were some major undercurrents going on at this meeting, if you want background or more details please PM me.

GC will get 3 million from the new stimulus package.

There were some negotiations done with this deal before the board meeting:

Coach Copley's priorities were #1 Coaches for his team, #2 Fieldhouse for the field, #3 lights and bleachers.

Coach didn't want bermuda (too much maintenance cost and it just doesn't do well in this area after the middle of the season) so it was decided to let that money go back into the system and in order for us to get these priorities we backed off the turf issue at this time. (sometimes when you reach for the stars you get the moon)

I have been told that these priorities will be a reality before next season by the powers that be due to money that is available through construction and the stimulus bill.

Good things are going to happen at GCHS football, just hang in there and keep fighting the fight and forget those haters out there that just don't want to see GCHS get to where we are going to be because it will happen.