Highlands Banquet

jbwill2

How do the proceeds help the football program?:confused:

I would like to preface this by saying I do not know for sure... but it's problably like the reverend's discretionary fund at church. :D

Seriously, I do not know how the money is utilized. If it is for the football program, then it is money well spent. Just my opinion. (100 copies were cut @ $20 to $25 per copy = $2,000 to $2,500 for the program.) It may help defray the costs of the banquet, ie. trophies & awards.

I am sure that the track, cross country and golf teams do the same...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were your highlight tapes including a 15 game season?

Once again, if you ask the athletes what would thier response be? I don't think anyone of them will say it was too long... especially when they see themselves in the highlights...

I have one son that just finished playing football at the next level. He played for one of the academies. He would love to have a highlight tape of the calibre of Highlands. He played at HHS and he knows the differance. The 'birds tape includes multi angles, slow motion and isolation shots on the big plays in the game. We also included several half time talks given by Dale Mueller and several pre-game motiviational talks given before the game by some of the players. So, in essence, the highlight tape is not entirely football play after football play.

Yes, on more than on occasion. For basketball, baseball, softball etc, those entailed a 30+ game season, including postseason and at least one state championship game. The longest was 1 & 1/2 hrs.

I am just giving my opinion. I like the halftime and motivatational talks, players features, etc. I truly wish we had anything like this when I was growing up and played. Breaking it up like that would make 2 & 1/2 hours a much smoother flow.

I also NEVER questioned the quality of the video and if you took it that way, I apologize. I haven't even seen it, just giving my opinion on the length. I am sure that the video, much like everything at Highlands, is first class. Having done these for the past several years, I know how much time it takes to put together a good one and have all the respect in the world for those who create them. It is truly a labor of love.

Yes, on more than on occasion. For basketball, baseball, softball etc, those entailed a 30+ game season, including postseason and at least one state championship game. The longest was 1 & 1/2 hrs.

I am just giving my opinion. I like the halftime and motivatational talks, players features, etc. I truly wish we had anything like this when I was growing up and played. Breaking it up like that would make 2 & 1/2 hours a much smoother flow.

I also NEVER questioned the quality of the video and if you took it that way, I apologize. I haven't even seen it, just giving my opinion on the length. I am sure that the video, much like everything at Highlands, is first class. Having done these for the past several years, I know how much time it takes to put together a good one and have all the respect in the world for those who create them. It is truly a labor of love.

We're good! Didn't mean to be too abrasive... in my replies. I had a hand with last year's tape and 3.5 hours was way too long. I had a senior son playing last year. I got tired of watching him! So, we really tried to cut this thing down this year to two hours max.

It is truly a labor of love... we start on the tape right after the first game and it does not end until 4 - 6 weeks after the last game. Many adult beverages and cold pizzas are consumed during the process... More importanly than the development of a highlight tape, each player has a highlight tape that is being digitally stored during this process. So, if a Roller, Bardo, Dempsey, Collinsworth decides to play at the next level, a button is pushed and they have a quality tape to give to a recruiter to better enhance their dreams of playing college football.

The main cheese in this process, Old Camel Newbird, spends countless hours in the basement during the Summer and Fall assembling the video and photography. (Old Camel is a non-parent now as his son graduated with and played on the 2004 State team.) We all should be so fortunate to have people like this in our communities that give back so much to the schools...

MountainThunder, I have a feeling you are one of those that give! Thanks for what you do...:ylsuper:

We're good! Didn't mean to be too abrasive... in my replies. I had a hand with last year's tape and 3.5 hours was way too long. I had a senior son playing last year. I got tired of watching him! So, we really tried to cut this thing down this year to two hours max.

It is truly a labor of love... we start on the tape right after the first game and it does not end until 4 - 6 weeks after the last game. Many adult beverages and cold pizzas are consumed during the process... More importanly than the development of a highlight tape, each player has a highlight tape that is being digitally stored during this process. So, if a Roller, Bardo, Dempsey, Collinsworth decides to play at the next level, a button is pushed and they have a quality tape to give to a recruiter to better enhance their dreams of playing college football.

The main cheese in this process, Old Camel Newbird, spends countless hours in the basement during the Summer and Fall assembling the video and photography. (Old Camel is a non-parent now as his son graduated with and played on the 2004 State team.) We all should be so fortunate to have people like this in our communities that give back so much to the schools...

MountainThunder, I have a feeling you are one of those that give! Thanks for what you do...:ylsuper:

Hats off to you as well. I don't think many realize how much time it takes to put these together. Hours upon hours upon hours. My home video production studio / office becomes my 'batcave' when I am working on these for teams or individual student athletes. I try to get the tapes throughout the season and work on them game by game because if you don't, you have a daunting task of going through all of them at once. There is a local TV station (WOBZ - TV 9 in London) which rebroadcasts some of the local high school and collegiate teams' games, and they have always been terrific in giving their permission to use their footage on the highlight videos.

One suggestion I have is that if a meal is served, ... many of the banquets I have been to have a welcome from the coach, then show the video while the food is being served and consumed. Awards are presented after. It helps keep the overall banquet time down and it moves along quite smoothly that way. We always have plenty to be purchased afterwards and there are rarely any left. You are right that the kids LOVE them. I only wish we had something like these when I played.

OK...Streaker-OCNB / Thunder...in order to TRULY know which studio is best, answer this question: How many Deer heads are on the wall of your studio watching with you? Most head wins!

:isurrender: :notworthy:

Sadly, I have none. I am not a hunter. I have some plaques and medals from running track in high school and college as well as coaching several different teams, but no dead animal heads. :cry: Can I still call myself a true Kentuckian?!?

OK...Streaker-OCNB / Thunder...in order to TRULY know which studio is best, answer this question: How many Deer heads are on the wall of your studio watching with you? Most head wins!

Now that wasn't fair... you were recently permitted to enter!

I

How do we purchase these tapes if we aren't going to the banquet? I'm interested in a team tape as well as a individual tape. Thanks!

I

How do we purchase these tapes if we aren't going to the banquet? I'm interested in a team tape as well as a individual tape. Thanks!

Contact the AD's secretary - Carolyn Smith @ Highlands High School. The school will have copies after this Sunday's banquet.

I would like to preface this by saying I do not know for sure... but it's problably like the reverend's discretionary fund at church. :D

Seriously, I do not know how the money is utilized. If it is for the football program, then it is money well spent. Just my opinion. (100 copies were cut @ $20 to $25 per copy = $2,000 to $2,500 for the program.) It may help defray the costs of the banquet, ie. trophies & awards.

I am sure that the track, cross country and golf teams do the same...

Just wondering if title nine could get in the way of the money going to just football. I agree the money is well spent for football.

I

You can contact Carolyn Smith at the High School after the banquet and she should be able to either sell you a tape or tell you who to contact. Usually she has them in her office after the banquet and she is the contact.

If you want an individual, you may have to contact that individual.