Steroids and the Baseball HOF

mcpapa

I think most if not all the players who were accused of, but not found guilty of steroid use should be let into the Hall of Fame. What I dont understand is why or how Congress has absolutely anything to do with what goes on in professional baseball. Unless a player fails a drug test, I do not think that mere accusations should keep them out of the Hall of Fame. Steroids or HGH can not create dominant pitchers or hitters. The guys who are out there playing and dominating are just more skilled than the others they play against, regardless of what cream theyre rubbing on their bodies.

My first reaction is that I feel the same as you. It was a league full of supposed steroid use. A lot of speculation and there are guys that hit homeruns off of pitchers on roids and homeruns hit by guys on roids. It was no secret to anybody with common sense but it was what baseball felt like it had to turn away from to make the game appealing again. It worked for the most part. All I know is that my generation started off watching guys like Bench, Rose etc as a kid. Ripkin, Donnie Baseball, Gwynn all came in during the early too mid 80's. From 1985 until he retired there weren't any bigger pitchers for me or most people my age than Clemmons. From 87 on there wasn't a guy that was more exciting to watch at the plate than McGwire. Clemmons and McGwire were as exciting as they came at their respective crafts for A LONG time! I understand that they were both probably on the juice and knew it watching them. So were hundreds of other players I think but nobody could do what they could do. I love guys like Madduax and don't think he was on anything. Do we really know who was on the juice or not though?

:thumb:

I grew up watching Eddie Murray, Ripken Jr., Gwynn, Brett, Mattingly, and the list goes on and on...The game was obviously very different back then than what it was during the steroid era. That being said though, there were no regulations or regular testing so its hard to say, "well he was a pretty good sized guy that put up big numbers...he had to be juicing..." There's just no way to say who was doing what but the majority knows that many were cheating. If there were no regulations and no proof of anything, I think you just have to go by the numbers. McGwire, Clemens, Bonds, and others have the numbers to get in the Hall. Therefore, they should be in the Hall.

Right or wrong, I don't think we'll see Mac, Palmeiro, Sammy, Bonds, or Clemens get in.

Clemens and Bonds may just b/c they were HOF'ers before they started juicing and putting up historical numbers. The other 3, I don't see it. It may have been different if any of them had told the truth right off the bat. Now they are basically all disgraces.

Clemens and Bonds may just b/c they were HOF'ers before they started juicing and putting up historical numbers. The other 3, I don't see it. It may have been different if any of them had told the truth right off the bat. Now they are basically all disgraces.

Bonds and Clemens remain to be seen. If 28 voters can keep Ricky off of their ballots completely a whole lot of them can make a stand against steroids.

I think they'll eventually all get in.

There is no way on God's green Earth that McGwire or Palmeiro get in. Look at Mcgwire's vote totals now - 20%. And Palmeiro is the pariah of baseball. Sosa won't get in either. Bonds and Clemens will both get in eventually because they were both HOF'ers before they juiced up. But I think a message will be sent to both - certainly Clemens - and he will not make it on the first ballot.

There is no way on God's green Earth that McGwire or Palmeiro get in. Look at Mcgwire's vote totals now - 20%. And Palmeiro is the pariah of baseball. Sosa won't get in either. Bonds and Clemens will both get in eventually because they were both HOF'ers before they juiced up. But I think a message will be sent to both - certainly Clemens - and he will not make it on the first ballot.

If McGwire doesn't get in, then they need a new selection process.

Did anyone catch Bert Blylevyn's tirade about the HOF yesterday?

If McGwire doesn't get in, then they need a new selection process.

Maybe. Maybe not. The ONLY part of McGwire's resume that is HOF-worthy is his HR total. Not his BA, hits, RBI, defensive abilities, etc. And that HR number was certainly inflated during the latter part of his career thru the use of steroids. I have no problem with anything he accomplished using andro - it was legal at the time. But his late-career HR surge is tainted and, as far as I can tell, the only single basis for which he deserves HOF consideration.

BTW, Canseco's numbers are not all that far off McGwire's. Does he deserve HOF consideration? ;)

I agree with that. I think that's how they're going to have to show their protest. You can't just eliminate 10 years of players from the HOF.