This playoff system is the best

Blackshirts

I think four teams making the playoffs is great for football in this state and even better for the kids, but 6 classes may be to much. With 4 classes you had to earn your way in and it was alot harder for 0-10 teams to make it tho it happened form time to time, it was not a prefect system but better then we had before. Four teams making the playoffs is not the problem there are a lot of upsets over the years where 4's and 3's would beat 2's and 1's, it makes football alot more fun to see a dark horse make a run no matter how few that really make it. The problem is people don't like to see 0-10 teams make it and i agree. That is what happens with 6 classes system not four teams making it to the playoffs. Some people are saying cut it down to two teams that make the playoffs and that would make things worse. The problem with two team playoff system is, yes you will not have any 0-10 teams making to the playoffs but you will have teams that are 9-1 [tie breaker] or 8-2 teams miss the playoffs. I don't want to see a really good team miss out on a great run or even a chance to prove they belong in the playoffs due a tough district. Yes i would want to see a few bad teams make it as to see a few good teams not make it. The thing is we have 6 classes and 4 teams make it, i don't agree with 6 classes but i love the 4 team playoffs system in place sence 1991, it has made football great in this state for the kids and high school fans all over. So please don't change the format on behalf of many many great fans out there of high school football.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, 4 teams making the playoffs is not the problem, six classes is, what was accomplished by the addition of classes? The same teams are competing for the championships, just a bit easier road. If the problem was A and AAAAAA, nothing was solved.

The more teams in the playoffs the better. Think about it. In the end, who is really hurt by this? No one is! The champion teams will win. Schools will get more revenue. Players will get more time to play the game they love. It's a Win Win situation. Yes you have blow outs, but you had that in the old system too.

Edited by StormBringer
forgot a the

I don't see the six classes changing. It sounds more likely there could be fewer playoff teams.

You are probably right.

But I definitely disagree that this is the best playoff system. How can you justify 50+ loss games with teams that have 0 or 1 win all season. Sorry, there is NOTHING good about that. It keeps getting argued that more teams are playing. Sure, more teams are playing, but they are not the right teams playing. It's not justified that a team in the same class that only has four teams in their District DESERVES to get in. Sorry, there is no justice in that!

I don't see the six classes changing. It sounds more likely there could be fewer playoff teams.

How about the good teams that don't make it was a big problem in the past when 9-2 and 10-1 teams[when there where 11 games that could be played] couldn't make it to the playoffs in the two team format. This playoff format is the best it is not prefect but the best for the state of Kentucky. I understand we may not change the six classes but lets not change the playoff formate. In this format the teams win the schools win and most of all the kids who play win with the high school 4 team playoff format.

Two teams/ district, Four teams/ district, I can name about 20 teams in the state every season that will be in the semi-finals no matter how many ways they split the pie. Fact of the matter is there was absolutely no reason to add two additional classes, it didn't do anything but water down the pool. If anything you have more teams making the playoffs that shouldn't be in the playoffs. There is a huge difference between an 0-10 team in the playoffs and a 6-4 team in the playoffs, and the reason you have this is six classes.

You know that I was never in favor of the 4 team system. That being said, I can now say, after giving it great thought, that the Ohio system needs to be looked at closely with this six class system. If the regular season is going to be devalued, then lets go all the way and go with some type of ranking system and allow everyone in. It would make for better scheduling and travel, allow for natural rivals during the season to become even more important, and even allow possibly for the disolution of some of these silly 4 team districts traveling all over the state for district games. I would seriously like to hear your thoughts HDE. I respect your opinion as much as any coach I know and realize I say this after years of being against the 4 team system!

No rankings systems please.

The story I did on the 68 season reminded me how bad the Dickenson System was.

We could stick with four teams, drop to two or go with three and give the No. 1 seed a bye.

Or, one I just thought of, you could just go to four regions per class (8-9 teams) and invite the top four in each region. Your schedule would be taken care of except for two or three games (leave you room for a couple of non-district rivals or bowl games). In this system, you may avoid a situation where one district is really weak but still gets two teams by taking the best four from the entire region. That would increase the chances of getting the best 16 teams per class in the playoffs.

No rankings systems please.

The story I did on the 68 season reminded me how bad the Dickenson System was.

We could stick with four teams, drop to two or go with three and give the No. 1 seed a bye.

Or, one I just thought of, you could just go to four regions per class (8-9 teams) and invite the top four in each region. Your schedule would be taken care of except for two or three games (leave you room for a couple of non-district rivals or bowl games). In this system, you may avoid a situation where one district is really weak but still gets two teams by taking the best four from the entire region. That would increase the chances of getting the best 16 teams per class in the playoffs.

Outstanding story on 68. I really enjoyed it!!

I think you all are missing the forest for the trees.

The problem is districts. District play means nothing, and therefore the regular season is meaningless, because districts are too small and scheduling is too much of a problem.

Make the regular season mean something. Leave the six classes. There are 224 teams playing high school football in Ky. That's 28 8-team districts. Create 4 8-team districts in each of Class A and 2A and 5 8-team districts in 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A. This incidentally allows more small-school similarity in the lower two classes and allows a couple of 5A teams to be re-classified at 6A to challenge X and T (Highlands, BG, JH). You also then have a 7 game district season following a 3 game non-district season, district play is tougher, non-district scheduling easier but rival games still preserved, an honest-to-goodness regular season championship is achieved.

Postseason is 4 weeks. In 3A-6A, you have the top 2 from each district, plus 4 teams selected at-large by sportswriters/coaches/KHSAA. Gives more investment into the process by the community. They are seeded and the top 2 seeds get a first-round bye.

In A-2A, you take the top 3 from each district, plus 2 at-large selections, and the top 2 get a first-round bye.