Fewer meaningful games late in football season

Eta Rho

If they are not going to eliminate classes (and they are not), I wish they would do this.

I agree. When's the last time a #3 or #4 seed won a state championship, if ever? Sure there's been #3 seeds upset a #1 possibly in the district or region championship but very rarely do you see a #2 or #1 seed not win the state title.

I agree. When's the last time a #3 or #4 seed won a state championship, if ever? Sure there's been #3 seeds upset a #1 possibly in the district or region championship but very rarely do you see a #2 or #1 seed not win the state title.

It has happend, but you are correct in that it is rare.

It has happend, but you are correct in that it is rare.

Isn't once in a life time worth having the lower seeds play? I know it is for the one's who have upset the top seeds. It is easy to say let the 1 and 2 teams be the only one to make the playoffs when your team is always #1 or #2. What does the playoffs mean to the rest of us? It means a longer season to practice and make your young players better for the next year. If we make the playoffs for 4 years straight we can potentially get another years worth of practice in. You guys come off as basketball people trying to make football a shorter season. Leave things alone because the kids of those #3 and #4 seeded teams like to play that extra game and like to say they made the playoffs. Remember it is about the kids not the grown-ups (coaches, fans parents ect...).

Not too much of this has to do with 6 classes. It is the scheduling grid like so many others have alluded to. Still teams should schedule good games which still interest the public and the fans. I know next year Harlan County scheduled Bell County for the last week of the regular season. Sure this has no playoff implications but the gaem will be monumental from now on. It isn't so much the KHSAA's fault as it is the teams who schedule these meaningless games that mean nothing to the program.

Agree, it as much do with the coaches. Can't wait until next year last game of the season will be a good one for these 2 teams.

Bourbon Co was a 3 seed when they won the state in 97.

The idea that the players don't get excited about playing each game is probably the result of adults who've forgotten what it's like to be kids playing a game. They're ALL important to the players...

But if late season excitement is important to you, then you don't want to go to district winners and runnerups only in the playoffs. If you subscribe to the notion that players and coaches don't put the same amount of effort into "meaningless" games, then what's going to happen to all the teams that lose their first two or three district games in the first half of the season? The rest of the year becomes "meaningless"(??)

Five classes makes a lot more sense, which would mean about 45 teams per class, and 5-6 teams per district. Keep teams 1-4 as playoff-bound - gets more kids involved, forces everyone to at least accomplish SOMETHING in the regular season (no 0-10 playoff teams), maintains more excitement later in the season (just because you lose your first two district games doesn't mean you're eliminated just halfway into your season), means more "important" (district) games in the regular season, and allows for "late blooming" teams to hit their stride late and contend for the title.

I'm betting it would also save some gas $$ for the schools...

Of course, half the teams always see meaning in their final game, regardless of who the opponent is (for half the teams, it's SENIOR night), but it would be exciting to require each team to play a district opponent the final week of the season.

It also makes sense to me that the KHSAA require teams to go on the road for half their games. How did Scott County manage to come up with a schedule this year with 8 home games???? Hardly seems fair...

It also makes sense to me that the KHSAA require teams to go on the road for half their games. How did Scott County manage to come up with a schedule this year with 8 home games???? Hardly seems fair...

Mike Fields mentioned this in a recent column. It's the first bullet point, ninth paragraph down.