Unfair coaching?

That's the thing. You can argue maybe he was running them to see commitment or different things like that. Maybe these players falls seasons consisted of the golf or soccer team and could not attend open gyms or anything like that. You should just put them through the normal work out and if they don't fit the team, cut them like any old tryout, not run them to death.

Your right - there are enough coaches out there getting away with this stuff to begin with. You have to have some type of structure for everyone for tryouts not just pick and choose.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the thing. You can argue maybe he was running them to see commitment or different things like that. Maybe these players falls seasons consisted of the golf or soccer team and could not attend open gyms or anything like that. You should just put them through the normal work out and if they don't fit the team, cut them like any old tryout, not run them to death.

Agreed! Not sure of the circmstances surrounding the tryouts but if the coach did this he is just causing himself unneccesary problems. Two days of tryouts and if they are not good enough let them go. If you want to see if new kids trying out can play just put them against your returning players and see if they can handle it. Then a coach can decide if they are worth taking the extra time to reteach the system to them. Two days of tryouts are not going to make or break a teams season. If this coach's tryout is on a message board, im pretty sure it made it to the schools AD and principals office.

Agreed! Not sure of the circmstances surrounding the tryouts but if the coach did this he is just causing himself unneccesary problems. Two days of tryouts and if they are not good enough let them go. If you want to see if new kids trying out can play just put them against your returning players and see if they can handle it. Then a coach can decide if they are worth taking the extra time to reteach the system to them. Two days of tryouts are not going to make or break a teams season. If this coach's tryout is on a message board, im pretty sure it made it to the schools AD and principals office.

Exactly:thumb:

What ever happened to the idea that you must earn a spot on the team--and that means doing whatever is required of you, not matter how diificult. I cringe every time I see the word unfair, because I think a there is a real sense of entitlement today that I can't understand. If guys aren't willing to prove themselves, then can they really be counted on in the fourth quarter. It's not a question of skill--I think it has more to do with commitment and team play. The guys in the gym have already earned that chance, and if the guys on the track do what is asked of them, then they should earn that chance as well.

What ever happened to the idea that you must earn a spot on the team--and that means doing whatever is required of you, not matter how diificult. I cringe every time I see the word unfair, because I think a there is a real sense of entitlement today that I can't understand. If guys aren't willing to prove themselves, then can they really be counted on in the fourth quarter. It's not a question of skill--I think it has more to do with commitment and team play. The guys in the gym have already earned that chance, and if the guys on the track do what is asked of them, then they should earn that chance as well.

Exactly. Why didn't these boys play their 10th and 11th grade years? Did they get cut? Decide not to play? I mean we don't know the circumstances, but if they just decided they wanted to come play for their senior year, they need to earn the right to play, because the boys who played the two years the boys sat out, worked their butts off.

Dikembe would have made his mile time and the 40 time and whatever other physical test the coach put in front of him.... heck - the guy has killed lions with just a spear.

If the kids couldn't make the mile time that the other kids had already completed in pre-season conditioning then there is no issue here... we need Paul Harvey for the rest of the story.

I have a very relevant contribution to this thread. You are thinking of Manute Bol, not Dikembe.:lol:

I think its a little stupid but not unfair. IF the coach wants to see what kind of shape they are in before he considers letting them compete against other kids who have been with the program then fine.

Trust me, if the coach is a jerk he is a jerk. The kids might be better off not playing anyway. The ones you should feel sorry for if he is a jerk are the kids who make the team and have to endure the 5 months of this type of behavior.

Since when is running the mile to tryout for a team unfair lol? Man, that used to be a requirement before we even stepped into the gym for basketball when I played. If you couldnt do the mile, you couldn't play. It is a given, the boys in the gym already qualified, so the two boys who are trying out need to do the same. I don't see how the coach is being mean?

Your right - there are enough coaches out there getting away with this stuff to begin with. You have to have some type of structure for everyone for tryouts not just pick and choose.

That's exactly what coaches do! Can't have 40 kids on a team...it's not middle school w/ equal playing time rules. What if the other kids had already made their time in the mile, and their 40's? You don't hold up team selection waiting for someone to get into shape, especially for someone who hasn't played organized basketball for 2 years, which has its own set of circumstances/repurcussions.

Edited by Mr.Viking
spelling

AMEN!!! :ylsuper::laugh:

I'm just going to take a wild shot in the dark. these young men were not 6'5"+, real athletic, run a 4.5, 40, they can run the point and rebound and dunk over everyone else, score at will against anyone, from any where on the floor. If either of these young men had three or more of these attributes would the coach have handled this the same, reguardless of what they had done the past couple of years? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!

I can honestly say that if I was a player on the team, I wouldn't want these guys on the team regardless of how talented they are.

I don't want somebody "in my foxhole" so to speak, who is going to let the rest of us down. Playing a sport is a privilege, and sometimes you must do things in order to invoke that privilege.

That doesn't stop the coach from being a jerk; however, testing somebody's committment to the team and, more importantly, to their peers / teammates is not wrong. There may be a better way to go about it, though.

Your right - there are enough coaches out there getting away with this stuff to begin with.

How dare these coaches try to bring discipline to a program.

Everyone should be able to show up whenever they feel like it.