Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Unfair coaching?

Featured Replies

Two new guys want to come out for the basketball team who played freshman year. The first day of tryouts the coach places all of the players who had played the previous year in the gym to shoot around before tryouts, and the two new guys have to go outside in cold weather and the coach tells them to start running a mile. The coach states if you don't get it in 6:30 thanks for coming out. If you make it, prepare for 40 yard dashes.

 

Is this unfair to the two guys who want the same tryout as the rest of the team?

  • Replies 70
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two new guys want to come out for the basketball team who played freshman year. The first day of tryouts the coach places all of the players who had played the previous year in the gym to shoot around before tryouts, and the two new guys have to go outside in cold weather and the coach tells them to start running a mile. The coach states if you don't get it in 6:30 thanks for coming out. If you make it, prepare for 40 yard dashes.

 

Is this unfair to the two guys who want the same tryout as the rest of the team?

Just a few questions. You said Freshman year, so was that last year or did they sit out a year or so?

 

Could he be testing their commitment to the team, in seeing their interest since everyone else was in but these young men?

 

Just trying to get more information and let's not discuss the Coach/School...:thumb:

  • Author

Seniors. Shouldn't it be more fair to do maybe drills, scrimmages, things like that? I don't think saying run a mile in this time or you're out is the solution.

What does last year or the year before have to do with anything???? What does running a mile outside without the rest of the team prove? Sounds like an coach with an ego problem to me. If the players are serious about trying out put them in mix on play. Running them as stated by CCh24 does nothing and proves nothing.

Easy guys, just trying to understand the situation and his reasoning. Don't take this wrong but nonetheless, here it is....

 

The reason I asked the questions, is simply he may hope they run themselves off. We've all been around coaches, who have different approaches and see a player, with more weight, non-athletic, hasn't played, too many numbers, etc.

 

So they simply test their fortitude early on, to see commitment and even hope they leave on their own. Is it wrong, sure but it does happen at various levels of play. I can name you numerous College coaches, which take this approach and I realize this is not College but it does happen.

  • Author
What does last year or the year before have to do with anything???? What does running a mile outside without the rest of the team prove? Sounds like an coach with an ego problem to me. If the players are serious about trying out put them in mix on play. Running them as stated by CCh24 does nothing and proves nothing.

 

The reason I had stated this is, that it wasn't two random kids coming out for the team. It was two kids who took time off and decided they'd like to maybe play again this year. The coach obviously did not take them seriously and IMO is pointless to have a tryout with kids only from the year before. If you're just going to run the kids until they quit, what's the point of having a tryout? You want to put the best 5 in your school out on the floor and the coach obviously isn't doing the right thing.

  • Author
Easy guys, just trying to understand the situation and his reasoning. Don't take this wrong but nonetheless, here it is....

 

The reason I asked the questions, is simply he may hope they run themselves off. We've all been around coaches, who have different approaches and see a player, with more weight, non-athletic, hasn't played, too many numbers, etc.

 

So they simply test their fortitude early on, to see commitment and even hope they leave on their own. Is it wrong, sure but it does happen at various levels of play. I can name you numerous College coaches, which take this approach and I realize this is not College but it does happen.

 

You said it yourself.

You're assuming, I'm siding with the Coach and all I'm attempting to do, is offer a reason for the Coach doing this.

 

In the Coaching fraternity, most would handle this in a considerably different manner.

  • Author
You're assuming, I'm siding with the Coach and all I'm attempting to do, is offer a reason for the Coach doing this.

 

In the Coaching fraternity, most would handle this in a considerably different manner.

 

Yes of course. I think just sending them out on the court with the other players to see what they have to offer is more of a sufficient way of judging talent and how they could help the team.

Yes of course. I think just sending them out on the court with the other players to see what they have to offer is more of a sufficient way of judging talent and how they could help the team.
I agree totally. Most would include additional running, various timed drills which encompass all. I will assume, the separation from their peers, has/will create some uneasiness with the young men.

 

I can relate numerous stories, about student-athletes vying for a roster spot but their talent level, wasn't suitable for that team. Adults which are the Coaches, have to handle things in a professional and direct manner.

 

I was taught a long time ago, that plain talk is easily understood and that is the path, I travel in instances like this.

Did they skip the summer workouts and preseason conditioning?

I see no problem with it.

 

They are Sr.'s, have had 0 commitment o the team since the end of their freshman year, and would be taking away PT from kids who probably have been committed to the team the whole time they were in school.

 

See ya later...........

Did they skip the summer workouts and preseason conditioning?

 

They could be it. Still not saying it is right but I have heard of stories in which coaches have a required time in the mile to even tryout for the team--not only in basketball but football as well.

I think it was an acceptable move by the coach. The coach is judged by the quality of his program. How can keeping these two players contribute to the program? The coach has been planning his season strategy for years, two random seniors can destroy team chemistry. To older players who think that they deserve normal senior playing time can be cancerous.

If this is thier 1st interaction with the team ( meaning no summertime games or workouts) then I see no problem with this. These kids could just be trying to boost thier high school resume by plaing. It happens all the time. You have to know thier level of committment.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.