Computer help needed!

RowdyRedRam

Okay the problem began as our computer constantly began to say it was full and needed to be re fragmented or have files deleted. We defraged and have removed old and useless file on almost a daily basis and yet the computer has quickly filled up.

I've cleared cookies, internet files and the like.

When I run a file search on all files I have a file named rpm.cf1 that is taking up 1,597,440 kb or 16 gigs.

What I've found online is that this file is part of Google search bar that is indexing every site we go to and storing it on the computer. With advice from someone else I went to delete the google search bar from the computer but it gave me options to stop indexing. I picked the option to stop indexing and it appears the rpm.cf1 file has stopped growing.

But it is still huge 16gigs large. In looking over the internet I've found I'm not the only one with this problem, but so far on every message board no one has been able to answer the question "Can I safely delete this file".

So I'm asking any members of BGP who know "EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT" whether I can just delete this file or do I need to do something else to fix my problem.

I agree with Wireman. Uninstall through Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs and if the file is still there afterwards, delete it. Usually it will give you the option of deleting the index at the time of uninstall.

The first thing I do with any new computer I'm setting up is uninstall Google Toolbar and uninstall Google Desktop. They're a step below spyware in my eyes. I disable Windows Desktop Search as well the moment Windows Update installs that.

I agree with Wireman. Uninstall through Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs and if the file is still there afterwards, delete it. Usually it will give you the option of deleting the index at the time of uninstall.

The first thing I do with any new computer I'm setting up is uninstall Google Toolbar and uninstall Google Desktop. They're a step below spyware in my eyes. I disable Windows Desktop Search as well the moment Windows Update installs that.

That is the first thing I do with every new computer we get at our company. I despise every software that tries to "slide" these things in on me, as well. I love how the Java updates try to trick you into installing Google Search or OpenOffice. :mad:

If I just delete the file rpm.cf1 will it cause problems. I kind of like the tool bar can it be ran if I delete that file?

It will most likely say that it can't be deleted because the file is still in use. I don't think it will hurt anything though.

I tried to uninstall Windows Desktop Search from a coworker's computer but couldn't because it was part of service pack 3.

I tried to uninstall Windows Desktop Search from a coworker's computer but couldn't because it was part of service pack 3.

Something else I do is uncheck Service Pack 3 and click "don't notify me of these updates again". :thumb:

I have been considering starting up various "technical" threads before. Are there enough computer geeks like me on here to have any quality discussions?

Me, for one... I do a lot of programming, personally. I'm always up for a good tech discussion.

What I don't know, I enjoy learning.

Me, for one... I do a lot of programming, personally. I'm always up for a good tech discussion.

What I don't know, I enjoy learning.

I broke the electric cupholder on my computer. I guess jug of java was too heavy for it. Is it still covered under the warranty? :D